7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi, Im new to this site. Ive lurked for a little while but now I have the sudden need for advice. A little background first- Ive filed for the K3 for my wife in peru in may2006. Right now Im waiting for the DS230 part 2 to be sent to me from the U.S. to peru where Ill be staying until we get the visa(atleast thats my plan). Ive done the 130,129,864, 230part1 Etc... Ok now with my tax question. Im filing my taxes for 2006 right now and I dont know what i should file as. Its obvious that i should be filing as married but I think I might have to file as single, because if i file as married I have to fill out 1040NR or 1040NREZ. The problem is those forms pertain to nonresident aliens. She had a job in the US in 2004 and 2005 but not in 2006 nor was there at all last year. I want to just file as single so I can E-File but I know this isnt wise. Ive only got a few weeks left to do this so I dont want to wait for sth in the mail to get to peru. Is there another form? Am I missing something? What did all of you do?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hi, Im new to this site. Ive lurked for a little while but now I have the sudden need for advice. A little background first- Ive filed for the K3 for my wife in peru in may2006. Right now Im waiting for the DS230 part 2 to be sent to me from the U.S. to peru where Ill be staying until we get the visa(atleast thats my plan). Ive done the 130,129,864, 230part1 Etc... Ok now with my tax question. Im filing my taxes for 2006 right now and I dont know what i should file as. Its obvious that i should be filing as married but I think I might have to file as single, because if i file as married I have to fill out 1040NR or 1040NREZ. The problem is those forms pertain to nonresident aliens. She had a job in the US in 2004 and 2005 but not in 2006 nor was there at all last year. I want to just file as single so I can E-File but I know this isnt wise. Ive only got a few weeks left to do this so I dont want to wait for sth in the mail to get to peru. Is there another form? Am I missing something? What did all of you do?

What you should do is to file Form 4868, Application for Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Tax Return, with the IRS by the April 15 deadline. This gives you 6 months (4 if you're out the country). Although you are not required to make a payment of the tax you estimate as due, Form 4868 does not extend the time to pay taxes. If you do not pay the amount due by the regular due date, you will owe interest. You may also be charged penalties.

Anyway, you should to go IRS website and read more about filing the extension. After your wife comes to US and get her SSN and everthing, then you can file jointly and claim her as your independence. That way, you pay less tax. It's not cheating the IRS, because you obviously financially support your wife/fiance.

I-130

Jan 06, 2007 - Mailed I-130

Jan 13, 2007 - NOA1 received in snail mail

Mar 22, 2007 - Approved!!!

I-129F

Jan 18, 2007 - Mailed I-129F

Jan 27, 2007 - I-129F Rejection Notice received (used outdated form version)

Jan 29, 2007 - Mailed I-129F (with most up to date form version)

Feb 12, 2007 - NOA1

Mar 22, 2007 - NOA2 Received email from CIS. NOA1 to NOA2 for only 38 days!

Mar 26, 2007 - NVC receive my case

Mar 28, 2007 - NVC sends out my case to HCM Consulate

May 03, 2007 - Packet 3 received

May 04, 2007 - Wife submits Packet 3 at HCM Consulate

Jun 26, 2007 - Packet 4 received

Jul 19, 2007 - Interview PASSED

Jul 20, 2007 - Pick up Visa

Jul 24, 2007 - Arrive Boston (POE LAX)

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

If she worked in US before, what kind of tax identification she uses before ? SSN or ITIN ?

You are married - you can choose married filing separately or married filing jointly. You cannot file single. You can file as head of household but there are certain criteria you need to meet.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

If your tax situation is a little more complicated this year, you might just want to invest in a few extra dollars and have it prepared by a professional. Personally, I wouldn't rely on an internet board to give me sound tax advise, but that's just my 2cents.

Edited by tweety

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

Timeline
If your tax situation is a little more complicated this year, you might just want to invest in a few extra dollars and have it prepared by a professional. Personally, I wouldn't rely on an internet board to give me sound tax advise, but that's just my 2cents.

There is nobody here who filed their taxes the year after they got married but were still waiting for their wifes visa?

Ive talked to the IRS and I know what I have to do, I just want to know if its the same thing all of you had to do?

Telling me to hire a tax guy doesnt help me at all. HnR block doesnt even know what I have to do.

Filed: Timeline

viccardenas,

I filed as married-joint for the tax year in which my wife and I were married, although she did not get her visa and enter the USA until the following year, after I had already filed the return. I had to get her an ITIN to do it. It should be simpler for you - as tom&tata observed, if your wife has worked in the USA before then she should have a SSN.

You fill out your Form 1040 showing both of your incomes from employment on line 7, and any other incomes on the appropriate lines up through line 21. Then you fill out a Form 2555 or Form 2555A to determine her excludable income (which will probably be all of it) and include that number on Form 1040 line 21. The total income on Form 1040 line 22 will then most likely be your income only, but you've got 2 exemptions rather than 1 and you get to use the married-joint tax table to calculate the tax. This should give you a substantial savings.

You also include a joint statement with the return declaring that your wife wishes to be a US tax payer even though she does not live and work in the USA.

Yodrak

There is nobody here who filed their taxes the year after they got married but were still waiting for their wifes visa?

Ive talked to the IRS and I know what I have to do, I just want to know if its the same thing all of you had to do?

Telling me to hire a tax guy doesnt help me at all. HnR block doesnt even know what I have to do.

Timeline

Thank you Yodrak, thats exactly what I was looking for. You explained it better than the IRS

viccardenas,

I filed as married-joint for the tax year in which my wife and I were married, although she did not get her visa and enter the USA until the following year, after I had already filed the return. I had to get her an ITIN to do it. It should be simpler for you - as tom&tata observed, if your wife has worked in the USA before then she should have a SSN.

You fill out your Form 1040 showing both of your incomes from employment on line 7, and any other incomes on the appropriate lines up through line 21. Then you fill out a Form 2555 or Form 2555A to determine her excludable income (which will probably be all of it) and include that number on Form 1040 line 21. The total income on Form 1040 line 22 will then most likely be your income only, but you've got 2 exemptions rather than 1 and you get to use the married-joint tax table to calculate the tax. This should give you a substantial savings.

You also include a joint statement with the return declaring that your wife wishes to be a US tax payer even though she does not live and work in the USA.

Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.