Arrta

Question about evidence of in person meeting

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I did the same, but this question perplexes me still, how do you "prove" to someone else that you met another person. Passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel receipts only show you were at a particular place at a particular time, but nothing in there shows proof of meeting anybody in particular (except maybe customs officials, airline officials, or hotel workers). I think pictures are better proof (assuming we say *nothing* about PhotoShop), but unless you are holding up a newspaper or something giving the date, how is that proof that the meeting happened in the last two years? I passed this question around my office, no-one has yet to come up with definitive proof, everything seems to be just circumstantial evidence. I think a better form of proof would be an eyewitness under oath (who would lie to the USCIS?), but haven't come-up with a good way yet to mail one into the USCIS :huh:

No need to overthink it, the AO has plenty of other evidence (boarding passes, exit/entry stamps) to look at to judge. So pictures are fine. And needed!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
I did the same, but this question perplexes me still, how do you "prove" to someone else that you met another person. Passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel receipts only show you were at a particular place at a particular time, but nothing in there shows proof of meeting anybody in particular (except maybe customs officials, airline officials, or hotel workers). I think pictures are better proof (assuming we say *nothing* about PhotoShop), but unless you are holding up a newspaper or something giving the date, how is that proof that the meeting happened in the last two years? I passed this question around my office, no-one has yet to come up with definitive proof, everything seems to be just circumstantial evidence. I think a better form of proof would be an eyewitness under oath (who would lie to the USCIS?), but haven't come-up with a good way yet to mail one into the USCIS :huh:

I think you have been watching too much Csi. IF your have met, you have met. If you have photoshopped you have photoshopped. I think that is not a real issue. As long as you have met, your evidence will be fine, they may ask for more, but it will not be the big question. Unless you photoshopped.

Edited by Bobbie

Bobbie & Klaus

2/23/07 Mailed Package to TSC (G-325A & I-125)

2-25-07 Online PO shows package delivered

3-06-07 NOA on I-129

3-12-07 Touched (I think)

6-8-07 Touched appropriately!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's too easy to slip into the notion of 'proof', which of course is impossible. You can't prove an event happened, even if there are witnesses to it! All you can do is collect 'evidence', which when taken together builds a picture that shows it is more probable than not that the meeting took place in the time required. It helps to think of evidence like a jigsaw, where every piece adds to the picture until it's complete. Provide what adds to the picture, and don't provide what doesn't.

Don't take this too casually though, because otherwise you risk getting an RFE. Consider what evidence is more solid and what is weaker. Things that cannot be tampered with, such as airline boarding passes with name, date and flight details are telling because they can't be faked and can be verified with airlines, while letters or emails can be faked and are therefore of lesser value. That doesn't mean NO value, just less telling.

Edited by Andy

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It's too easy to slip into the notion of 'proof', which of course is impossible. You can't prove an event happened, even if there are witnesses to it! All you can do is collect 'evidence', which when taken together builds a picture that shows it is more probable than not that the meeting took place in the time required. It helps to think of evidence like a jigsaw, where every piece adds to the picture until it's complete. Provide what adds to the picture, and don't provide what doesn't.

Don't take this too casually though, because otherwise you risk getting an RFE. Consider what evidence is more solid and what is weaker. Things that cannot be tampered with, such as airline boarding passes with name, date and flight details are telling because they can't be faked and can be verified with airlines, while letters or emails can be faked and are therefore of lesser value. That doesn't mean NO value, just less telling.

The boarding passes, visas, passport stamps other airline information only put you in country. THEN the photos in well known locations TOGETHER establish the "Proof" of meeting. This is your primary evidence of meeting and should be what is most focused on. The more primary evidence furnished the less likely you'll see an RFE. Emails, letters, etc, are going to be needed for the interview later. Since she was here legally I would imagine you have photos of the two of you in public places, landmarks etc right?

Evidence provides the basis for your proof.

IR-5

11/01/2011: I-130 Submitted

11/04/2012: I-130 NOA1

04/19/2012: I-130 NOA2

05/04/2012: NVC Received

05/27/2012: Received I-864/DS 3032 Package

05/28/2012: Pay I-864 Bill

05/29/2012: Submit DS 3032/I-864

06/05/2012: Receive IV Bill online

06/05/2012: IV Bill Paid

06/06/2012: Payment Accepted

06/07/2012: IV Packet Mailed (Additional documents sent next day on 06/08/2012)

08/28/2012: Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.