Arnold_and_Joan

Arriving in U.S. with your fiance

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I'm traveling together with my fiance to U.S. My question is upon arrival in Immigrations, she goes to the non-US Citizen line and I stay in the US Citizen line. Would it be ok for me to join her when facing the Immigration officer or could she join me since we're both each other's fiance? Has anyone travelled together with their fiance to the U.S.? Thanks.

Arnold & Joan's Timeline

============ AOS Phase ========

05/28/07 - Applied for Joan's SSN - no problems - got it in mail a few days later

07/09/07 - Got Maui'd in Hawaii Wedding Photos

07/19/07 - Got vaccination for Joan (she didn't get it in Phil)

08/15/07 - Filed our AOS papers

10/--/07 - Found out we sent the papers to wrong office. We've called several times to get this clarified but all got is that we need to WAIT for our papers to be forwarded or returned to us.

10/--/07 - We got our papers back.... ngngngng and re-sent it to the right office

01/23/08 - Got our interview date

03/10/08 - INTERVIEW DONE!! Our Interview Experience

Hi,

I'm traveling together with my fiance to U.S. My question is upon arrival in Immigrations, she goes to the non-US Citizen line and I stay in the US Citizen line. Would it be ok for me to join her when facing the Immigration officer or could she join me since we're both each other's fiance? Has anyone travelled together with their fiance to the U.S.? Thanks.

There have been people on VJ that said they went in the same POE Immigration line as the foreign fiancee, and they had no problem with that. Thats what I am planning to do also.

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Case Transferred to US Embassy in Riga Latvia at the end of October.

If you really want it, you'll find a way!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
Hi,

I have done this several times with my fiance but it was with the Visa waiver program since he is from Denmark. He could not enter through the US immigration line and I had to go with him through the visitor line. Immigration officers didn't have a problem with me, the USC, being in that line at all. I believe when your fiancee/wife has her green card, then she can go through the US side together with you.

I know it sucks because the lines can be horribly long for the visitors and USC's go right through. We as USCs sometimes take for granted how lucky we are to hold those blue US passports. I went through several countries customs and when they see my passport, sometimes they wouldn't even look at it. They would just waive me through. Not so with my fiance. He gets checked and double checked.

Nov 2005 -met online

Feb 2006 -met in person

2006 Lived together in US for 6 mos

Jan 2007 -got engaged

2007 Living together until April

March 19, 2007 -sent I129-f

March 20, 2007 -package received at CSC stamped"USCIS RECEIVED"

March 26, 2007 - NOA1 approved

June 8, 2007 - NOA2 approved -received notice by snail mail June 13, 2007 petition has been sent to the NVC

June 27, 2007- NVC forwarded packet to Denmark

January 10, 2008-Interview at the Embassy

January 18, 2008-Visa Approved

February 14, 2008-Got married in Texas

March 2008- received SSN

April 2008-ASC/Biometrics Appt.

April 2008-Notice that case was transferred to CSC

May 2008-received EAD

November I485 Approved-Permanent Resident Card will be here in 3 weeks!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

this is a question ive had too whenever i can even get to file for the visa. who knows when i can start that. anyway it seems the consensus is very much in favor of being able to stand in the non-u.s. citizen line....my other question is when its her turn can i just go with her and they can process both of us together. i would also like to walk the "window" with her. of course son will be with us (8 years old) and so they would have to process three of us. is that also what everyone thinks?

4 september 2005.....relyn and patrick chat on filipina heart for first time

19 december 2005....patrick flies to meet relyn and m'r (son) for first time

24 decemeber 2005.....we are ENGAGED!

25 december 2005....we fly to boracay. patrick and relyn exchange wedding rings on plane....lol but true

3 january 2006....we meet with attorney to discuss annulment of relyn marriage.

(husband absent for 6 years)

20 august 2006.......patrick returns to philippines

21 august 2006......patrick birthday

28 august 2006......we travel to baguio city till september 5

4 september2006....we celebrate in bagiou our 1st year anniversary of knowing each other.

10 september2006.....patrick back in u.s

19 april 2007....back together for another trip

21 april 2007....we travel to province relyn and family are from for a chance for me to meet extended

family. we are there for more than a week.

7 may 2007....return to the u.s.a.

JULY 2007.....annulment sent to judge desk awaiting decision

OCTOBER 2007.........JUDGE GRANTS ANNULMENT......YIPPEE GETTING CLOSE TO FILING I129F

31 december 2007 I29f sent via US postal priority mail

4 January 2008 NOA1

6 MAY 2008 NOA2 (GUESS THE TOUCH WAS A REALLY GOOD TOUCH)

10 MAY 2008 RECEIVE HARD COPY I-797 NOA2 IN SNAIL MAIL

22-23 may 2008-early medical(passed)

22-27 may 2008-son's medical....very long bcoz of tuberculin test

20 june 2008-my patrick visit me again for 4time

23 june 2008-interview u.s.embassy

27 june 2008-got my visa yipeee so quick!

2 july 2008- fly in tacoma wa, with my patrick and son

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

When my husband came, we both went together, at the same time. If I am not mistaken, we went into the new immigrant line. (I am fairly sure that was our line, hope I'm not mis-remembering something). Our POE was Minneapolis. The line was the shortest of them all! We had no hassles for doing this.

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

We came though Seattle and I went with my wife and helped with her paperwork and it was no problem.

Removing Conditions

11/26/07 Mailed I-751

03/27/08 10 year green card approved

N-400

12/01/08 Mailed

12/24/08 check cashed

12/23/08 Noa-1

01/14/09 Biometrics

03/20/09 Interview

05/05/09 Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yeah, I'm not sure about which line you can and cannot go in, but when it comes to going up to the window together, I'm sure that's fine. I've traveled with my fiancee and other friends lots of times and we always go up to the window together, even though we have no real relation -yet!

And there is a new immigrant line at some POEs...? That sounds nice...and short!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

A US Citizen can always downgrade themselves and go through the non-USC line with their SO...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
Hi,

I have done this several times with my fiance but it was with the Visa waiver program since he is from Denmark. He could not enter through the US immigration line and I had to go with him through the visitor line. Immigration officers didn't have a problem with me, the USC, being in that line at all. I believe when your fiancee/wife has her green card, then she can go through the US side together with you.

I know it sucks because the lines can be horribly long for the visitors and USC's go right through. We as USCs sometimes take for granted how lucky we are to hold those blue US passports. I went through several countries customs and when they see my passport, sometimes they wouldn't even look at it. They would just waive me through. Not so with my fiance. He gets checked and double checked.

Our last POE was JFK in New York. We were still just boyfriend/girlfriend at the time. We went through the Visitor side and I went with him. I always asked the people that are directing the lines if it is ok that I go with him being the USC and they always have said yes. When we walked up to the window, I went first with my then boyfriend. The officer asked if we were married and told him no. He said that we can't be at the window together since we weren't technically family. Only families can be at the window together. He processed me and then I waited for my boyfriend just a few feet away.

My fiance has no problems with immigration at Chicago or New York. He had a horrible nightmare with the officers in Atlanta, GA. We did some goggle research and found that many people had really bad experiences coming through Atlanta as the POE. AVOID this POE at all costs.

Nov 2005 -met online

Feb 2006 -met in person

2006 Lived together in US for 6 mos

Jan 2007 -got engaged

2007 Living together until April

March 19, 2007 -sent I129-f

March 20, 2007 -package received at CSC stamped"USCIS RECEIVED"

March 26, 2007 - NOA1 approved

June 8, 2007 - NOA2 approved -received notice by snail mail June 13, 2007 petition has been sent to the NVC

June 27, 2007- NVC forwarded packet to Denmark

January 10, 2008-Interview at the Embassy

January 18, 2008-Visa Approved

February 14, 2008-Got married in Texas

March 2008- received SSN

April 2008-ASC/Biometrics Appt.

April 2008-Notice that case was transferred to CSC

May 2008-received EAD

November I485 Approved-Permanent Resident Card will be here in 3 weeks!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you're flying back and forth through the same POE beforehand, do some research - look for signs/ask questions, etc.

At SFO, there's a sign that says "NEW IMMIGRANTS" with an arrow directing them to the same line as USCs. It's probably been there all the times I've ever flown through - but I'd never had occasion to notice it before since I wasn't looking!

It should be a relatively easy, non-stressful thing to settle, even if you can't figure it out in advance or you don't get to stand in the same line together.

best of luck!

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Hi,

Our last POE was JFK in New York. We were still just boyfriend/girlfriend at the time. We went through the Visitor side and I went with him. I always asked the people that are directing the lines if it is ok that I go with him being the USC and they always have said yes. When we walked up to the window, I went first with my then boyfriend. The officer asked if we were married and told him no. He said that we can't be at the window together since we weren't technically family. Only families can be at the window together. He processed me and then I waited for my boyfriend just a few feet away.

My fiance has no problems with immigration at Chicago or New York. He had a horrible nightmare with the officers in Atlanta, GA. We did some goggle research and found that many people had really bad experiences coming through Atlanta as the POE. AVOID this POE at all costs.

I confirm Atlanta is really the most horrible one

- Nov 2006

Paris Civil Wedding

- Jan 2007

DCF (CR1-CR2)

I-130 Aproved the same day i went to Paris Embassy

Form DS-2001 sent back to Paris Embassy

Got appointment letter for the final interview in March 2007 with my Case number.

Packet 4

Adam walsh law, call from embassy final interview postpone

Paris Embassy sent all pending I-130 petitions to Roma uscis for an Petionner background check

- Feb 2007

Medical visit

I- 130 petitions back from the Roma uscis ''reaproved''

Call from Paris Embassy confimation for my final interview in March 2007.

- March 2007

Final interview date: CR1-CR2 Aproved

Passports with visas came by chrono 5 days after interview.

57 days in total

- April 2007

Moving to USA

Atlanta POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm the USC and I met my fiance in Brasil for the interview, then he came back with me. Our POE was Miami and he came with me to the US Citizen line. When I handed him our passports he said to me, this is the citizen line, I said that I knew - that he was moving to the U.S. on an immigrant visa. He asked (slightly rude) for the brown envelope. Then he was really nice.

I went with him to the "room" where another officer looked at our papers and sent us on our way.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.