rootcause

Affidavit of Support and runaway step son

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all long time member but using a throwaway to protect the innocent. Anyway long story short, I sponsored my mother in law and my wife's oldest son (stepson) to come to the US. Which they did successfully about five months ago. Yesterday my stepson ran away to California (from Virginia). We have no idea who he is with or how he even got there but he is there.

Question: I am responsible for his support as I am the sponsor (affidavit of support is in my name). Where do my responsibilities lie now? What can happen if he gets in trouble, gets sick, etc while he is on his own? My wife and I are freaking out and we are trying to get ahold of him to convince him to come back to Virginia. He had a job here, I was about to get him health insurance and a car and now this. Can this new family that took him in take over as the sponsors?

He does have his passport and Social Security card but he left his green card at home, as well as his birth certificates and other official documents.

Any advice other than go see a immigration lawyer (which I will).

Edited by rootcause

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I really can't see what you need a lawyer for? .... He is an adult so even though it was not nice done on his part at all unfortunately there is nothing you can do.

You are on the hook for him as the sponsor and unfortunately nothing you can do about it.

Agree. You can't change the affidavit of support and, as an adult, he can go wherever he likes.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Hi all long time member but using a throwaway to protect the innocent. Anyway long story short, I sponsored my mother in law and my wife's oldest son (stepson) to come to the US. Which they did successfully about five months ago. Yesterday my stepson ran away to California (from Virginia). We have no idea who he is with or how he even got there but he is there.

Question: I am responsible for his support as I am the sponsor (affidavit of support is in my name). Where do my responsibilities lie now? What can happen if he gets in trouble, gets sick, etc while he is on his own? My wife and I are freaking out and we are trying to get ahold of him to convince him to come back to Virginia. He had a job here, I was about to get him health insurance and a car and now this. Can this new family that took him in take over as the sponsors?

He does have his passport and Social Security card but he left his green card at home, as well as his birth certificates and other official documents.

Any advice other than go see a immigration lawyer (which I will).

I am confused about you knowing where he is or not. Why would you need to see an immigration lawyer though?

I suggest you send him his green card (it is his) if he contacts you - something with a tracking number so it reaches him safely - making it easier for him to become independent and not rely on you [from your message, it is unclear if you want to help him out or not, but if you do, tell him he is also welcome to come back home... ]

Filed: Timeline

I know he is in California after asking his family members who put him up to this. Basically I know where he is but not what city, etc. I know he is with cousins. I told his mom he is welcome to come home but we need to send him his green card and birth cert so he can get a job and follow through with his decision to be on his own.

I am concerned about what I'm responsible for as he doesn't have health care as I was just in the process of setting that up. If he goes to the hospital and gets a huge bill am I responsible for that debt? I'm going to still get him health care but I need his SS card which he took and right now we can't reach him to talk this through.

Yes - you are responsible for his support, including some bills he may incur. If he can't pay for them, or he gets a means-tested benefit, they can come and get it from you - although it seems rare for them to come after sponsors from my cursory googling on the subject.

If you read the small print on the I-864 (part 8 - sponsor's contract), you can see what you're liable for (just liable, doesn't mean they'll definitely come for the money, but that's the agreement you made).

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

In my googling, I found this to be a fairly good explanation:

"The Sponsor’s Obligations

The Form I-864 Affidavit of Support is a legally enforceable contract, meaning that either the government or the sponsored immigrant can take the sponsor to court if the sponsor fails to provide adequate support to the immigrant. In fact, the law places more obligations on the sponsor than on the immigrant -- the immigrant could decide to quit a job and sue the sponsor for support.

When the government sues the sponsor, it can collect enough money to reimburse any public agencies that have given public benefits to the immigrant. When the immigrant sues, he or she can collect enough money to bring his or her income up to 125% of the amount listed in the U.S. government’s Poverty Guidelines (as shown in the chart in Form I-864P).

The sponsor’s responsibility lasts until the immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, has earned 40 work quarters credited toward Social Security (a work quarter is about three months, so this means about ten years of work), dies, or permanently leaves the United States. If the immigrant has already been living in the U.S. and earned work credits before applying for the green card, those count toward the 40."

via http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter3-5.html

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I don't see how he'd be responsible for his stepson's potential medical bills. Stepson is an adult. If he incurs debt, medical or otherwise, it'd be in his own name.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

I don't see how he'd be responsible for his stepson's potential medical bills. Stepson is an adult. If he incurs debt, medical or otherwise, it'd be in his own name.

It would be - but as the stepson has an agreement via the I-864 with the sponsor, the stepson is allowed to sue the sponsor for support (up to the 125% poverty guideline amount that the sponsor agreed to cover). I mean - it doesn't seem to ever actually HAPPEN, but the I-864 says that the sponsor will provide all necessary finance to support the beneficiary up to the poverty amounts. It's nothing to do with him being adult or not.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Country:
Timeline

age is irrelevant to this it is 10 years or so or becomes a citizen. the reason I mentioned medical insurance is because if he gets any means tested medical benefits then the sponsor is on the hook but if he was insured if the person knows it or not the sponsor at least can tell the means tested benffit he got to bill it to insurance and just come after them for the copay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.