Murf & Reggie

I-751 August 2016 Filers

2,902 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, lamodigo said:

No, I didn't apply for N400. I'm just hoping to finish this asap

Well, it seems like the smart option. Applying for the N400 is dragging out the i751 process (or it looks like it). Hopefully your application should be approved in the next 1-2 months! :)

4 minutes ago, Scazy said:

i printed out CBP manual confirming I 551 stamp is valid proof if residence, also a mail from CBP info centers stating exactly that. So there is no .001% chances not the be admitted to the country, and even if you lucky to run into officer who's lacking experience in such things, that's what secondary for. Please don't spread paranoia, the process is annoying by itself. 

It isn't paranoia - there's been cases that have had issues at re-entry. I almost got rejected from boarding as they couldn't be sure sure I didn't create the passport stamp myself. They had to call multiple supervisors to get approval. Even entering the country in September, there was more scrutiny upon entry asking case specifics and manually checking status for about 10-15 minutes. It's very, very unlikely but it happens.  

For me, it causes anxiety just knowing that I have to pass POE when I leave the US without a physical GC or N400 processed. By reducing my trips abroad, it doesn't do any harm to anyone. 

8 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

Well, it seems like the smart option. Applying for the N400 is dragging out the i751 process (or it looks like it). Hopefully your application should be approved in the next 1-2 months! :)

@GreatDane: Hope that's not a blanket statement. I applied for N-400 7/29/17 and had my I-751 approved 11/27/17. In most cases, NBC requests the I-751 file from CSC/VSC if it's still pending, and once the file reaches NBC, the case is combined and in-line for interview. This just makes more and more sense given the numerous calls I had with Tier 2 officers. They all told me that my case would be combined and it will take longer because of this - since NBC had requested my I-751 (notes in my N-400 case). However, they did not see in-transit on my I-751 case and said that CSC must have forgotten to update. Now, it looks like CSC didn't send my I-751 file over and instead processed it, then sent it over (I called and asked after I-751 approval). The Tier 2 officer said that my I-751 was marked as completed and in transit to NBC. When NBC received it, they put me in-line for interview (last week).

So, some of the observations I have are: If your case is not in-line, it has not been combined and might still be approved even tho you have a pending N-400. Once In-line, the application package (N-400) is complete and will be forwarded to the field office who scheduled the interview. There seem to be edge cases where N-400 gets In-line and even scheduled - but I-751 is not approved. That I don't know how it happens - I guess a miss at NBC..

Just my 5 cents worth of observations. Take it or leave it. :)

Naturalization (Eligeble for Naturalization 07/16/2017) - Package send out late, not sure I was going to send it out before or after ROC approval.
[07/29/2017]: Day 00 - Full package sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox using Fedex 3 day.
[08/02/2017]: Day 04 - Package arrived, signed by E.Dejesus.
[08/02/2017]: Day 04 - NOA
[08/07/2017]: Day 09 - Check cashed
[08/21/2017]: Day 23 - Walk-in Biometrics
[12/08/2017]: Day 133 - In-line for interview
[05/09/2018]: Day 282 - Interview scheduled (text/email notification)
[06/13/2018]: Day 319 - Interview (Recommended approval) - Officer said Oath should be July 12 in Oakland.
[06/25/2018]: Day 331 - Oath letter received, scheduled for oath the 12th of July.
[07/12/2018]: Day 348 - Oath - COMPLETED. I'm a US Citizen

ROC (Eligeble for ROC 07/16/2016) - Package send out late as we were too busy to compile it.
ROC Approved in 484 days. 10yr GC in hand in 489 days.
[08/01/2016]: Day 00 - Full package (8.5 lbs) sent to California Processing center using USPS Flat Rate Box (late at night).
[08/04/2016]: Day 04 - Package delivered.
[08/08/2016]: Day 08 - Check cashed.
[08/09/2016]: Day 09 - NOA and 1 year extension letter arrived., dated 08/04/2016
[09/16/2016]: Day 47 - Received Biometrics Appointment for 09/28/2016
[09/27/2016]: Day 58 - Early walk-in biometrics.

[11/27/2017]: Day 484 - Text/Email notification - Card was ordered

[11/30/2017]: Day 487 - Approval letter received, dated 11/27/2017; Postmark 11/28/2017

[11/30/2017]: Day 487 - Text/Email notification - Card was mailed to me

[12/02/2017]: Day 489 - 10yr I-551 (GREEN CARD) in hand

AOS from L1 through USC Spouse (instead of work based AOS - PERM approved in May)

AOS Approved in 109 days (5 days after interview). GC in hand in 117 days.

[06/27/2014]: Filed

[10/20/2014]: Day 117 - I-551 (GREEN CARD) in hand

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
56 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

It isn't paranoia - there's been cases that have had issues at re-entry. I almost got rejected from boarding as they couldn't be sure sure I didn't create the passport stamp myself. They had to call multiple supervisors to get approval. Even entering the country in September, there was more scrutiny upon entry asking case specifics and manually checking status for about 10-15 minutes. It's very, very unlikely but it happens.  

For me, it causes anxiety just knowing that I have to pass POE when I leave the US without a physical GC or N400 processed. By reducing my trips abroad, it doesn't do any harm to anyone. 

Boarding approval is from airlines and not immigration.

The guy at the airlines ticketing counter , where you get your boarding passes, did not know or perhaps does not need to know everything about USA immigration.. .. That's why he had to contact supervisor to get it approved before printing boarding passes.....  But I understand the frustration, I have a stamp in my passport and to add salt to the injury.  The stamp ink is Soo lightly showing that no one can read what it says... So if the airlines boarding guys look at this.. they will be like.. what the heck is this. Is it a Visa, what visa,...the blue ink does not show up clearly... It's scary to say the least.....

------------------------

17 APRIL 2013 : NOA1 Priority date
27 NOV: TSC; Transfered from NBC

3 Feb : NOA2 ( 296 days)

4 March: Shipped to NVC

11 March : Received at NVC

11 April: Case # assigned

18 April: paid both fees

9May: mailed AOS & IV packages

8May: DS260 completed

16May: packets scanned in NVC system

13 June: check list : missing page 7 of i864.

25 June : scan date AOS checklist

7 Aug: Case Complete...... BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT

14 Aug: interview date assigned

16 Aug: Email interview appointment received

18 Aug: Medical completed

23 Aug: biometric done,DS260 stamped, fingerprints taken.

10 Sep: interview day; interview took 511 days from I-130 NOA1

====================================================

11. 9/17/2016: I-751 packet received by CSC

12.Check Cashed : 9/21/2016

13. NOA1: 9/23/2016

14. BIOMETRICS : 10/12/2016

---------------------------

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, GreatDane said:

Yes - they are supposed to. I remember reading someone had a N400 interview last week and asked about their i751 and the officer didn't know about it and said 'just one second while I approve that....' :D 

That is funny, all it means is that they do whatever they want too and however they are going to adjudicate as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, rerto said:

@GreatDane: Hope that's not a blanket statement. I applied for N-400 7/29/17 and had my I-751 approved 11/27/17. In most cases, NBC requests the I-751 file from CSC/VSC if it's still pending, and once the file reaches NBC, the case is combined and in-line for interview. This just makes more and more sense given the numerous calls I had with Tier 2 officers. They all told me that my case would be combined and it will take longer because of this - since NBC had requested my I-751 (notes in my N-400 case). However, they did not see in-transit on my I-751 case and said that CSC must have forgotten to update. Now, it looks like CSC didn't send my I-751 file over and instead processed it, then sent it over (I called and asked after I-751 approval). The Tier 2 officer said that my I-751 was marked as completed and in transit to NBC. When NBC received it, they put me in-line for interview (last week).

So, some of the observations I have are: If your case is not in-line, it has not been combined and might still be approved even tho you have a pending N-400. Once In-line, the application package (N-400) is complete and will be forwarded to the field office who scheduled the interview. There seem to be edge cases where N-400 gets In-line and even scheduled - but I-751 is not approved. That I don't know how it happens - I guess a miss at NBC..

Just my 5 cents worth of observations. Take it or leave it. :)

You are probably right, once 400 is in line, 751 will be combined. You are one of the very few exceptions, and you are extremely lucky to get a 751 approval with a pending 400.

3 hours ago, GreatDane said:

Sorry but posts like this does do harm, as someone might  the read about these "issues at re entry"  and pick up your anxiety which may lead to not going to see a family or whatnot due to conversations like this. I would appreciate if you find me any case where entry was denied by CBP solely due to them not recognizing I 551 stamp as I haven't heard any. Yes, only Citizens are granted a full right to entry and even having GC in hand is not guaranteed. However, in order to deny entry  where must be a serous reason  behind it, not just CBP agent not familiar with a stamp. If by saying "issues at re entry" you mean being send to secondary to verify your A file, that's called inconvenience but not an issue.  

2 hours ago, Scazy said:

Sorry but posts like this does do harm, as someone might  the read about these "issues at re entry"  and pick up your anxiety which may lead to not going to see a family or whatnot due to conversations like this. I would appreciate if you find me any case where entry was denied by CBP solely due to them not recognizing I 551 stamp as I haven't heard any. Yes, only Citizens are granted a full right to entry and even having GC in hand is not guaranteed. However, in order to deny entry  where must be a serous reason  behind it, not just CBP agent not familiar with a stamp. If by saying "issues at re entry" you mean being send to secondary to verify your A file, that's called inconvenience but not an issue.  

That's how it should go - but not always how it does. It's not CBP that's the issue - it's the airlines. Having to rebook with another airline last minute, especially if you're not flying alone, when they mess up is expensive and messy. With CBP, they'll definitely help you and figure out the right thing to do - but my anxiety is around even making it that far. At the airport in Amsterdam, there was this strange desk right at TSA where they had to confirm everyone's eligibility to enter the US (it was only for those flying to the US) - it looked like a joint CBP program (not sure) and that's where I ran into problems. It took 20+ minutes before I could even go through TSA. During that time, they said multiple times that they didn't think they could let us pass and questioned how they would know I didn't create the stamp myself. To which I didn't have any answer. It's a stamp - anyone could make it.

If you haven't had issues at re-entry, that's awesome. I have and don't want to go through it again. That being said, having any type of issue is very, very, very rare. 

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/denied-boarding-on-flight-to-us-with-i-551-stamp.325780/

28 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

That's how it should go - but not always how it does. It's not CBP that's the issue - it's the airlines. Having to rebook with another airline last minute, especially if you're not flying alone, when they mess up is expensive and messy. With CBP, they'll definitely help you and figure out the right thing to do - but my anxiety is around even making it that far. At the airport in Amsterdam, there was this strange desk right at TSA where they had to confirm everyone's eligibility to enter the US (it was only for those flying to the US) - it looked like a joint CBP program (not sure) and that's where I ran into problems. It took 20+ minutes before I could even go through TSA. During that time, they said multiple times that they didn't think they could let us pass and questioned how they would know I didn't create the stamp myself. To which I didn't have any answer. It's a stamp - anyone could make it.

If you haven't had issues at re-entry, that's awesome. I have and don't want to go through it again. That being said, having any type of issue is very, very, very rare. 

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/denied-boarding-on-flight-to-us-with-i-551-stamp.325780/

Please read your previous post I reacted on, you saying there are a certain risk  not to be able to be back at the country because the OFFICER (!!)  might not be familiar with the procedures ( I 551 stamp). Officer is a CBP personnel who might not be familiar with a stamp indeed, but this is nothing to worry about as it's all getting sorted out on secondary. 

Now, what you gave me a link to is the issue with airline agent, not the the officer, where someone was denied boarding while not having GC and on stamp, it's not the same as having entry denied by the officer. 

Sometimes my extention raise questions at check in and/ or at secondary, which is totally fine - all they need to do is verify your documents/guidelines/information but it's definitely not something that should stop anyone from traveling freely while in a process as they authorized to do so, especially after picking up someone else's anxiety. I  simply asked not to spread it around. All you need to do is to be aware you might need to explain your papers and calculate timing  right when travel. Good luck and don't over stress it please. 

A stamp can be forged? Yes.

But a green card can be forged as well (It was on the news on TV some time ago how one can go to a street in NJ where one can get all sorts of fake documents!).

So, an airport agent arguing that the stamp is fake as a reason for denying boarding is pretty ignorant.

(BTW, the I-551 stamp has a water mark, IIRC.)

IF someone encounters an ignorant airline agent, one has to ask for a supervisor and don't give up.

While there is anecdotal evidence of people having trobule with the stamp with the airline agents, there is also PLENTY of anecdotal experience of people flying in and out of the US with the STAMP with no issues.

Edited by sddude89

1 minute ago, sddude89 said:

A stamp can be forged? Yes.

But a green card can be forged as well (It was on the news on TV some time ago how one can go to a street in NJ where one can get all sorts of fake documents!).

So, an airport agent saying that the stamp is fake is pretty ignorant.

BTW, the I-551 stamp has a water mark, IIRC.

IF someone encounters an ignorant airline agent, one has to ask for a supervisor and don't give up.

While there is anecdotal evidence of people having trobule with the stamp with the airline agents, there is also PLENTY of anecdotal experience of people flying in and out of the US with the STAMP with no issues.

Yes - this is exactly what happened. It was stressful, a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, but we were polite and insistent on escalating it, as it was a legitimate matter.

Again, the risk this happens is very, very, very small - most likely to the point of being statistically insignificant.

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, Scazy said:

If by saying "issues at re entry" you mean being send to secondary to verify your A file, that's called inconvenience but not an issue.  

3 hours ago, GreatDane said:

If you haven't had issues at re-entry, that's awesome. I have and don't want to go through it again.

2 hours ago, Scazy said:

Sometimes my extention raise questions at check in and/ or at secondary, which is totally fine - all they need to do is verify your documents/guidelines/information but it's definitely not something that should stop anyone from traveling freely while in a process as they authorized to do so, especially after picking up someone else's anxiety. I  simply asked not to spread it around. All you need to do is to be aware you might need to explain your papers and calculate timing  right when travel. Good luck and don't over stress it please. 

Sorry, but I feel very compelled to spread my paranoid experience and I really hope someone else picks it up and changes their future travel plans.

On our recent trip abroad, my resident spouse experienced an inconvenience on egress at the ticketing counter and another inconvenience with CBP in arrival here in the states. In Peru, the ticketing agent paused us from the line to question our documents. You have to realize, we are not on US soil and we have very little recourse should they disapprove of our documents. Plus as a foreigner, there's language, bureaucracy, bribing, etc. Ultimately, we were able to proceed after a supervisor inspected the stamp. However the perception of threat did unnerve us quite a bit.

On arrival to the states, my spouse and I separated in two separate queues at immigration. I sailed through since I am a citizen. However the wait for my resident spouse was excruciatingly hard for me. The process took far longer than we have ever experienced and no officer would entertain my queries for information about what was taking so long. After 25 minutes, the terminal cleared out and that left me an undetermined amount of time to sit and think of all the worst case scenarios about what was going on -- including detention. Finally 20 minutes later, my spouse cleared. That was 45 minutes progressively increasing agony. I can't even describe the kinds of emotions I felt during those 45 minutes of being separated, not knowing if it was just a small hiccup or possibly the first hour of the worst day of my life. I just never want to experience that ever again.

Given our current political environment, a heightened sense of anxiety warranted. ICE is casting their dragnet far and wide to snatch as many aliens as possible to meet our President's quotas. Any little mistake -- no matter how minuscule, insignificant, or immaterial -- is all it takes.  To this day, my spouse does not know why it took forever for CBP to run secondary, what they were searching for, or investigating. Nor would they share anything other than "all clear".

And yes, the experience was sufficient enough for us to postpone a trip to Europe.  That will wait until my spouse is naturalized and has a US Passport. We never want to experience an inconvenience, ever ever again.

1 hour ago, tbarker said:

Sorry, but I feel very compelled to spread my paranoid experience and I really hope someone else picks it up and changes their future travel plans.

On our recent trip abroad, my resident spouse experienced an inconvenience on egress at the ticketing counter and another inconvenience with CBP in arrival here in the states. In Peru, the ticketing agent paused us from the line to question our documents. You have to realize, we are not on US soil and we have very little recourse should they disapprove of our documents. Plus as a foreigner, there's language, bureaucracy, bribing, etc. Ultimately, we were able to proceed after a supervisor inspected the stamp. However the perception of threat did unnerve us quite a bit.

On arrival to the states, my spouse and I separated in two separate queues at immigration. I sailed through since I am a citizen. However the wait for my resident spouse was excruciatingly hard for me. The process took far longer than we have ever experienced and no officer would entertain my queries for information about what was taking so long. After 25 minutes, the terminal cleared out and that left me an undetermined amount of time to sit and think of all the worst case scenarios about what was going on -- including detention. Finally 20 minutes later, my spouse cleared. That was 45 minutes progressively increasing agony. I can't even describe the kinds of emotions I felt during those 45 minutes of being separated, not knowing if it was just a small hiccup or possibly the first hour of the worst day of my life. I just never want to experience that ever again.

Given our current political environment, a heightened sense of anxiety warranted. ICE is casting their dragnet far and wide to snatch as many aliens as possible to meet our President's quotas. Any little mistake -- no matter how minuscule, insignificant, or immaterial -- is all it takes.  To this day, my spouse does not know why it took forever for CBP to run secondary, what they were searching for, or investigating. Nor would they share anything other than "all clear".

And yes, the experience was sufficient enough for us to postpone a trip to Europe.  That will wait until my spouse is naturalized and has a US Passport. We never want to experience an inconvenience, ever ever again.

That Is a perfect example of paranoia. No, ICE would not "snatch" your wife and deny her entry just to "meet Presidental quotas". As long as your wife have not commited a crime that would make her inadmissible ( based on the laws created before current President), and traveling with a valid travel documents - the worse thing that can happen is to wait while travel agents or CBP   check her documents / their guidelines. I personally don't experience any "agony" at 45 mis ( which is nothing, as she not alone at secondary ) secondary inspection as I know I'm traveling in a valid status and with a valid documents, have not commited crimes,  and have a rights as a pearmament resident. If you want to keep a paranoia going instead of making plans which hotel you want to book at Europe or which restaurant to have a dinner at, please find me any case where LPR was denied entry by CBP due to not recognizing a stamp, thank you.  

P.S hope nobody would change travel plans for 1,5 years and up during ROC as its significant time to put your life on a pause while it's not even needed. Have a knowledge, be prepared ( for extra timing) and enjoy your travel 

Edited by Scazy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, GreatDane said:

As long as I work my 50-60 hours a week and get everything done, that's what counts! :dance:

I also couldn't deal with that commute - with the express lanes under construction for the next 5+ years, the commute is unbearable, even if you took a bus. They really need to make the 15 minute drive 15 minutes again!

50-60 hours a week!?  :wow::wow::wow:

I work for 40 hours a week as a state employee!  :dancing:  But...you most likely get paid a lot more (so you work for longer hours)!  :lol:

11 hours ago, GreatDane said:

Oh, No!  :bonk:  I'm going to Vancouver, Canada at Christmas!  :help:  I hope I can come back!  :wacko:

A US immigration officer at the port of entry doesn't even look at my stamp in my passport. :yes:  

They just scan my expired 2-year Green Card and that's it!  :dancing:

Naturalization

N-400 Sent: Aug 22, 2017

NOA: Aug 24, 2017

Biometrics: Sept 22, 2017

Interview: Oct 22, 2018 (Approved)

Oath Ceremony: Oct 23, 2018

Removing Conditions

I-751 Sent: Aug 22, 2016

NOA1: Aug 25, 2016

Biometrics: Oct 12, 2016

Interview: Oct 22, 2018 (Approved)

I-130 Application

NOA1: Oct 4, 2013

NOA2: Apr 11, 2014

NVC Received: Apr 30

Case Number: May 23

DS-261 / AOS Fee: June 5

AOS Package (Scan): June 16

IV Fee: July 18

IV Package (Scan): July 25

DS-260 Form: July 25

AOS Package (Accepted): July 29

Case Complete: Sept 16

Medical Exam: Oct 16

Interview: Nov 10

Visa Received: Nov 19

POE: Nov 20, 2014

1 hour ago, AustinCanada said:

50-60 hours a week!?  :wow::wow::wow:

I work for 40 hours a week as a state employee!  :dancing:  But...you most likely get paid a lot more (so you work for longer hours)!  :lol:

Oh, No!  :bonk:  I'm going to Vancouver, Canada at Christmas!  :help:  I hope I can come back!  :wacko:

A US immigration officer at the port of entry doesn't even look at my stamp in my passport. :yes:  

They just scan my expired 2-year Green Card and that's it!  :dancing:

No - you're totally fine. I never had an issue with Canada. It was the airlines and maybe a CBP abroad program with the airport. Going to and from Canada is always a breeze. With no green card, they give a second looks but that's it.

Are you heading to the Christmas market?! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.