Murf & Reggie

I-751 August 2016 Filers

2,902 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, 4444510 said:

Right after that do you mean on the same day with Infopass?

Yes, here is the twist. My friend(VSC June filer, 2016) told me that he made an info pass appointment just to see what was going on with his pending 751 because before that, he had already had an info pass appointment  regarding his pending 751 and he was told that his case had been transferred to the filed office in Albany New York, so he made the next appointment and went to his field office in Albany. He also had submitted a RFE  for his 751 prior to his going to Albany, and when he got to the office. The officer couldn't care less about his RFE(He didn't even bother to look at the RFE package) and just flat out asked him "Can you and your wife come back tomorrow for the 751 interview?" which is unheard of because you usually have to wait for months to get an interview letter for any application, so it just goes to tell you they can do whatever they want, they have the absolute discretion and they can bypass a lot of things for you if the officer who is handling your case is in the mood or something. So he got his "verbal" interview request right at the office, and of course he accepted it after waiting for 15 months, but it turned out to be a stoke interview where his and his wife were interviewed separately. So they were grilled an hour and the passed the interview and they were 751 approved right on the spot at that filed office, and before all that happened, he had already applied for 400. That is what I was saying this could be an exception or an anomaly, but obviously it does happen when someone gets a 751 approval while 400 is still pending. Ob by the way, the officer who did the 751 interview and approved him is the director of that filed office.

Edited by Zombie69

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, Zombie69 said:

Yes, here is the twist. My friend(VSC June filer, 2016) told me that he made an info pass appointment just to see what was going on with his pending 751 because before that, he had already had an info pass appointment  regarding his pending 751 and he was told that his case had been transferred to the filed office in Albany New York, so he made the next appointment and went to his field office in Albany. He also had submitted a RFE  for his 751 prior to his going to Albany, and when he got to the office. The officer couldn't care less about his RFE(He didn't even bother to look at the RFE package) and just flat out asked him "Can you and your wife come back tomorrow for the 751 interview?" which is unheard of because you usually have to wait for months to get an interview letter for any application, so it just goes to tell you they can do whatever they want, they have the absolute discretion and they can bypass a lot of things for you if the officer who is handling your case is in the mood or something. So he got his "verbal" interview request right at the office, and of course he accepted it after waiting for 15 months, but it turned out to be a stoke interview where his and his wife were interviewed separately. So they were grilled an hour and the passed the interview and they were 751 approved right on the spot at that filed office, and before all that happened, he had already applied for 400. That is what I was saying this could be an exception or an anomaly, but obviously it does happen when someone gets a 751 approval while 400 is still pending. Ob by the way, the officer who did the 751 interview and approved him is the director of that filed office.

Stoke interview depends on his case background.. Especially from Morocco.. 

I think they were playing by ear. They definitely had solid doubts and since your friend happened to show up they decided to quickly resolve it to drop this case off their carriage. Good that it had happy end. I would definitely freak out had I been interviewed by the director and literally without reviewing few years of our marriage life together.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, dnp2014 said:

Stoke interview depends on his case background.. Especially from Morocco.. 

It depends on many things I believe. His being from Morocco could be one of the reasons, but the office told him the reason they had to do an interview was because they have to do it randomly from time to time.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, Zombie69 said:

It depends on many things I believe. His being from Morocco could be one of the reasons, but the office told him the reason they had to do an interview was because they have to do it randomly from time to time.

Yes.. they do pick random cases.. I will say 5-10% will end up in RFE/Interview. But they select it based on relevant factors..  Very rare picking clean file with enough supporting documents... 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, 4444510 said:

I think they were playing by ear. They definitely had solid doubts and since your friend happened to show up they decided to quickly resolve it to drop this case off their carriage. Good that it had happy end. I would definitely freak out had I been interviewed by the director and literally without reviewing few years of our marriage life together.

They had one night to prepare, but i guess if you know your spouse well and the marriage is bona fide , it does not matter how many hours they try to find discrepancies, you will be ok, just have to stay calm and be truthful, I understand it could be nerve wrecking though. Anyway, I have heard 751 interviews are rare, but they do happen, and that doesn't necessarily mean they are doubting you or it has to be a stoke interview. Everyone's situation is different.  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, 4444510 said:

I had a stoke interview for AOS. I wonder if it's a pre-condition for repeated stoke interview for I-751.

Just now, Zombie69 said:

Yes, I agree that the country of origin is one of the factors.  :star:  I also realize that USCIS conducts random interviews for quality assurance.  :cry:

The other factors may be how they met, how long they've known each other, how soon they got married (since they met), if they've lived together throughout their relationship, if they practice different religions, if they can communicate in the same language well, if they're around the same age, etc.  :idea:

Naturalization

N-400 Sent: Aug 22, 2017

NOA: Aug 24, 2017

Biometrics: Sept 22, 2017

Interview: Oct 22, 2018 (Approved)

Oath Ceremony: Oct 23, 2018

Removing Conditions

I-751 Sent: Aug 22, 2016

NOA1: Aug 25, 2016

Biometrics: Oct 12, 2016

I-130 Application

NOA1: Oct 4, 2013

NOA2: Apr 11, 2014

NVC Received: Apr 30

Case Number: May 23

DS-261 / AOS Fee: June 5

AOS Package (Scan): June 16

IV Fee: July 18

IV Package (Scan): July 25

DS-260 Form: July 25

AOS Package (Accepted): July 29

Case Complete: Sept 16

Medical Exam: Oct 16

Interview: Nov 10

Visa Received: Nov 19

POE: Nov 20, 2014

Timeline
Just now, dnp2014 said:

Yes.. they do pick random cases.. I will say 5-10% will end up in RFE/Interview. But they select it based on relevant factors..  Very rare picking clean file with enough supporting documents... 

Agreed.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, AustinCanada said:

Yes, I agree that the country of origin is one of the factors.  :star:  I also realize that USCIS conducts random interviews for quality assurance.  :cry:

The other factors may be how they met, how long they've known each other, how soon they got married (since they met), if they've lived together throughout their relationship, if they practice different religions, if they can communicate in the same language well, if they're around the same age, etc.  :idea:

One thing that is interesting is my friend met his now wife online, that may have triggered the 751 interview, but they were also kind of lucky that they were told to come back the next day because he could have waited 2 or more months just for that interview. I would rather have the interview tomorrow or even a stoke one and just get it over with because I have nothing to worry about, we have known each other 20 years, we could not get married until the Supreme Court said so in 2013.(We are a same sex coupl)we know each other so well, but i totally understand the interview could be intense and nerve wrecking. People just get nervous in that kind of situation especially dealing with immigration authorities and it has nothing to do how well you know your spouse, could be a huge drag, and it is human nature.

Edited by Zombie69

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

One thing that is interesting is my friend met his now wife online, that may have triggered the 751 interview

If they're in their 20s or 30s, it's pretty common to meet each other online though.  :blink:

Maybe USCIS is a bit conservative (which is not surprising)? :rofl:

Naturalization

N-400 Sent: Aug 22, 2017

NOA: Aug 24, 2017

Biometrics: Sept 22, 2017

Oath Ceremony: Oct 23, 2018

Removing Conditions

I-751 Sent: Aug 22, 2016

NOA1: Aug 25, 2016

Biometrics: Oct 12, 2016

I-130 Application

NOA1: Oct 4, 2013

NOA2: Apr 11, 2014

NVC Received: Apr 30

Case Number: May 23

DS-261 / AOS Fee: June 5

AOS Package (Scan): June 16

IV Fee: July 18

IV Package (Scan): July 25

DS-260 Form: July 25

AOS Package (Accepted): July 29

Case Complete: Sept 16

Medical Exam: Oct 16

Interview: Nov 10

Visa Received: Nov 19

POE: Nov 20, 2014

They had one night to prepare, but i guess if you know your spouse well and the marriage is bona fide , it does not matter how many hours they try to find discrepancies, you will be ok, just have to stay calm and be truthful, I understand it could be nerve wrecking though. Anyway, I have heard 751 interviews are rare, but they do happen, and that doesn't necessarily mean they are doubting you or it has to be a stoke interview. Everyone's situation is different.  

It's just that I suffer from panic attacks. I don't need a reason to get into panic. Just remembering our first stoke interview makes  me already nervous. My wife also has some condition that may be caused by a stress situation. So we hope that we will not have to go through this again.

4 minutes ago, AustinCanada said:

If they're in their 20s or 30s, it's pretty common to meet each other online though.  :blink:

Maybe USCIS is a bit conservative (which is not surprising)? :rofl:

Depending on the fraud level, field offices have quotas on interviews. The guidelines are prescribed by the Adjudicator's Field Manual. Look halfway through the page, but actual percentages are determined by the ADDE of each field office so I don't believe they are publicly available. 

For more info, see my extensive post about my approval process theory below:

Timeline
37 minutes ago, 4444510 said:

It's just that I suffer from panic attacks. I don't need a reason to get into panic. Just remembering our first stoke interview makes  me already nervous. My wife also has some condition that may be caused by a stress situation. So we hope that we will not have to go through this again.

Understood, but you don't know whether you are going to get an interview yet. If there is another one, I am sure you guys will be fine since you have survived the first one. Good luck. I think you guys will be ok.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.