DaveInAZ

Can I apply for my wife's SSN?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

Simple question; can I apply for my wife's SSN, if she has filled out and signed the application?

I would think it would be allowed, since parents apply on behalf of their children, all the time. Therefore, it's been established that the recipient need not be present. I'd like to avoid the major hassle of making her deal with public transportation when she's still unsure of how it all works. It's about a 30 mile commute by train and bus.

Thanks!

Dave

https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home%2Fhandbook/handbook.01/handbook-0101.html

101.4 Is It Necessary To Apply In Person?

If you are 12 or older and have never been assigned an SSN, you must apply in person for a Social Security card. It is important for you to provide complete and correct personal information so your earnings are credited properly and to prevent the unlawful use of your number by someone else. There are penalties for falsely obtaining or improperly using an SSN.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

Hmmm. Thanks, Merrytooth. It seems the SSA is not good at forging consistent procedures.

Section 101.2 of the same handbook and the instructions on the paper application form both say that the application can be mailed in, thus requiring NO personal presence. That option, though, is unattractive since it requires mailing them her passport, as well as rolling the dice on whether the person opening the package will be aware that I-94s are electronic, now.

101.2 How can you obtain a Social Security Number?To obtain an SSN, you need to complete an application for a Social Security card at your local Social Security office and submit certain documents. If you visit a Social Security office you can file your application electronically. If you prefer to mail in your application and documents, Form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card) is available for download...

Timeline

Actually, they also have the following in the same handbook document, under Section 101.3, item C. (Emphasis added) So, they are TOTALLY inconsistent. No wonder no two people ever get the same answer to the same question.

101.3 What documents do you need?

C. If you are applying for an SSN on behalf of someone else, you must provide evidence of your authority to sign the application on behalf of the person to whom the card will be issued and evidence of your own identity.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

The way I understood this: IF over 12 & first time in being issued a SSN, you have to do it in person.

IF either under 12 or already have a SSN just asking for a new card THEN somebody else can apply on your behalf/can do it via mail.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Timeline

The way I understood this: IF over 12 & first time in being issued a SSN, you have to do it in person.

IF either under 12 or already have a SSN just asking for a new card THEN somebody else can apply on your behalf/can do it via mail.

That's the way my clerk understood it, too. But, there's nothing in the rules to back that up. One rule says that if you're over 12 and under 78 (I think), you have to apply in person. Another rule says that you can apply on behalf of another person, without any reference to age or relationship. A third rule says you can apply by mail, without specifying any limitations. Then there's the rule about new versus replacement cards.

And NONE of their rules even acknowledge the existence of any other rules. They're incredibly vague and badly written. But, I guess one should always assume the worst when it comes to the government, so people seeking a SSN should be prepared to apply in person. And be prepared to endure a miserable experience.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.