KatB

Name change before AOS application?

17 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I finally made it to the US and was married a few weeks ago, and am now going through the AOS process. I am filling out the required forms, but am wondering if I should change my name before I send them off? I plan on taking my husbands last name, but have not yet legally changed. Would it be easier for me in terms of paperwork for AOS if I did this now?

Also, I am going to get my SSN this week, but am concerned as the guidelines seem to state that I need to have a specific reason for requesting one if I am not there on an immigrant visa. I know that the K1 doesn't technically count as that, so will I have problems when it comes to applying for one?

Thanks!

Hi all!

I finally made it to the US and was married a few weeks ago, and am now going through the AOS process. I am filling out the required forms, but am wondering if I should change my name before I send them off? I plan on taking my husbands last name, but have not yet legally changed. Would it be easier for me in terms of paperwork for AOS if I did this now?

Yes!!!! You legally changed your name when you got married. Start using it. The paperwork changes will come in time. Most are free, but to change a greencard from maiden to married after issue is 400 bucks. Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Yes!!!! You legally changed your name when you got married. Start using it. The paperwork changes will come in time. Most are free, but to change a greencard from maiden to married after issue is 400 bucks.

Getting married in the US does NOT mean your name is legally changed. You have the right to change it, yes, but your legal name is still your maiden name until you complete all the necessary paperwork.

As for if it's better to do it now or after, I can't answer that and someone with more knowledge should definitely chime in.

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

Ok thanks! The marriage certificate only has my maiden name on it, does that make a difference? I'm just a bit confused as its a lot different to the UK!

Thank you for your quick response :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I would do it before as stated above it's really expensive to change the name when you have the GC.

No problem getting a SSN I applied 2 days after I got here and was never asked why I needed it but you could use it for many things like getting on insurance and so on. I had my card a week later. But if you are changing name then wait til it's changed so you don't have to go back and change it again to your new name :)

Edited by Georgia16

So how do I go about changing my name if it's not automatically done at the marriage ceremony? Do I need to go back to city hall?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

So how do I go about changing my name if it's not automatically done at the marriage ceremony? Do I need to go back to city hall?

I have no idea how they do it here :) We are changing my last name here Saturday when we get married.

Try and google name change and then you state I'm sure there will be a place you can go to and get it done.

Ok thanks! The marriage certificate only has my maiden name on it, does that make a difference? I'm just a bit confused as its a lot different to the UK!

Thank you for your quick response :)

Your marriage certificate is a legal name change IF you want to use your husband's name because it shows you married John Smith and thus can choose to legally be called Mrs. Smith. It does not mean you must use his name if you choose not to. Your chosen married name does not have to appear on the certificate. When you go to change your name on documents, they would look at the marriGe certificate as legal proof you get to be called Mrs. Smith....USCIS, Social Security, DMV, maybe the bank, passport office....

If you want to change your name to Lucie Lollipop, then that is more complicated and requires going to court.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Your marriage certificate is a legal name change IF you want to use your husband's name because it shows you married John Smith and thus can choose to legally be called Mrs. Smith. It does not mean you must use his name if you choose not to. Your chosen married name does not have to appear on the certificate. When you go to change your name on documents, they would look at the marriGe certificate as legal proof you get to be called Mrs. Smith....USCIS, Social Security, DMV, maybe the bank, passport office....

If you want to change your name to Lucie Lollipop, then that is more complicated and requires going to court.

Haha, thank goodness I have no intention of becoming Mrs L Lollipop! Once again thank you for your quick response. You've helped me out many times during the process and I really appreciate it! I'm going to put my married name on the application forms and have several certified copies of the marriage license to back it up.

Marriage **certificate** showing the marriage got recorded in the records of the county

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

More advice-- go get the SSN in the name exactly as written on your I-94. Don't try to go married or even talk about that you got married. Just get a number. Give the number at the bank or fill in on insurance cards it's your number for life. Fix the name when you have something from USCIS like EAD or greencard showing your immigration name on record is the married name. it takes time to sort your name when you are a K1.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

More advice-- go get the SSN in the name exactly as written on your I-94. Don't try to go married or even talk about that you got married. Just get a number. Give the number at the bank or fill in on insurance cards it's your number for life. Fix the name when you have something from USCIS like EAD or greencard showing your immigration name on record is the married name. it takes time to sort your name when you are a K1.

I wish I have read this before going to the social security office earlier. :cry:

01/25/16 - Sent I-129f

01/28/16 - Packet received

02/01/16 - NOA1 (CSC)

02/02/16 - USCIS Cashed Check

02/08/16 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy

03/23/16 - NOA2

03/28/16 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

04/11/16 - NVC received case

04/18/16 - Case Number Assigned

04/22/16 - Received NVC Letter

05/12/16 - Medical

05/23/16 - Interview - APPROVED!

06/01/16 - Received Passport with VISA

06/01/16 - Received "Packet 3" Lol

06/03/16 - CFO Seminar - Got the Cetificate and Sticker!

07/12/16 - Flight to US

07/13/16 - ARRIVED! :D

07/21/16 - Married (L)

08/01/16 - Sent AOS Packet

08/04/16 - Packet Delivered as per USPS

08/13/16 - NOA1

08/16/16 - Received Text / Email Notification

08/17/16 - USCIS Cashed Check

08/19/16 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy

08/29/16 - Received Biometrics Letter

09/07/16 - Biometrics Done!

12/05/16 - i485 approved

12/08/16 - Received Greencard in mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

On our marriage license, there is portion where it asked new names (if any). It was also discussed when we filled our marriage license. That is when I indicated my change of name using my husband's surname. That also reflected in your License and Marriage Certificate. I don't know if the form differs by state, but that's what we did. No hassle at all. Now, if your Marriage Certificate did not include that new name (bottom last line for me), Call where you registered your marriage and ask them what you need to do.

AOS/ AED/ AP:

(California Service Center, Chula Vista, San Diego, CA)

Filed: Aug 29

Receipt Date: Sept 2

NOA 1 Date: Sept 12 (received text/email)

NOA 1 copy rcvd: Sept 16

Biometrics Notice Date: Sept 17, received Sept 24

Biometrics Sched: Oct 5

Successful walk-in: Sept 26

Oct 13- Case ready to be scheduled for interview

EAD/AP approved - Nov. 1/2 / Received EAD/ AP Combo Card- Nov. 15

50days from NOA1/ 64 days from receipt date.

January 30-  USCIS Ap update, Interview sched on March 3, 2017

Jan 31 - received USCIS letter/ Notice for interview 

March 3- Interview, approved on the Spot

March 8 - received GC

Dec 2018 - To file ROC

My Blogs:

I-129F Petition Process

Medical Requirements

Medical Exam Experience

US Embassy Manila K1/K2 Interview Preparation Requirements and Instructions

Interview (K1 with 2 K2s)

CFO Guidance and Counseling (applicable to applicant from Philippines only)

My K1 Visa Journey

8 August 2015 - Sent I-129F Packet thru USPS

17 August 2015 - I -797C Notice date

20 August 2015 - Received printed copy of NOA1 dated Aug 17.

2 September 2015 - APPROVED! (14 working days from receipt date)

Dec. 21-22 - Medical DONE!

Jan 11, 2016 - Interview- APPROVED!

Jan 15 - Visa ISSUED!

Jan 21 - VISA ON HAND! (8 working days from interview)

March 21 - CFO / PDOS for K2s

June 1, 2016 - POE

July 18, 2016 - Married

I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

On our marriage license, there is portion where it asked new names (if any). It was also discussed when we filled our marriage license. That is when I indicated my change of name using my husband's surname. That also reflected in your License and Marriage Certificate. I don't know if the form differs by state, but that's what we did. No hassle at all. Now, if your Marriage Certificate did not include that new name (bottom last line for me), Call where you registered your marriage and ask them what you need to do.

The forms do differ in many locales. Many marriage certificates do not have a section specifically for new names, but that doesn't matter as already stated above the certificate functions as a legal name change to the husband's family name if you choose to change it. Some responders already stated it, but the best course of action seems to be to get the SSN with the I94 (with more than two weeks validity) and foreign passport in the maiden name, apply for the AOS in the new name if desired, then change the SSC when you receive either the EAD or GC. If you want to avoid multiple trips to the SSA, wait for the GC, that way you get a new card in the new name without the DHS note.

The only other issues that arise from this is changing the foreign passport at some time in the future. In many countries, this is very difficult, time consuming and costly, but you can get around this for international travel easily. When you get to that point, check out the travel section as there are many relevant posts, but the summary would be to book travel in your maiden name that matches the foreign passport, then keep a copy of your marriage certificate with you in case CBP questions the different name on the GC upon US re-entry.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Getting married in the US does NOT mean your name is legally changed. You have the right to change it, yes, but your legal name is still your maiden name until you complete all the necessary paperwork.

As for if it's better to do it now or after, I can't answer that and someone with more knowledge should definitely chime in.

When we filled out our marriage application at the courthouse it asked specifically on the application if my fiancee would be using my last name, a hyphenated last name or keeping her last name.

More likely then not, probably your fiancé filled this information out on your application, either way, if you have a marriage certificate it should show you if you are using a new name. My wives new name is on one of the last lines at the bottom of our marriage certificate.

Also, because you are using your new last name when you file your AOS paper work, unless you get a state issued ID with your new last name before your Biometrics appointment, make sure to bring a certified copy of your marriage certificate with you with your passport. That's how Biometrics will know you are the same person.

Good Luck

Met in person summer of 1986

Started Dating August 24 1989

Started dating second time around March 12th 2015

Engaged May 17th 2015

Married May 21st 2016

Sent I-129F: June 18th, 2015

NOA1: June 23rd 2015

NOA2: July 22nd 2015

NVC Received: August 6th, 2015

Consulate Received: August 14th, 2015

Interview: March 15th, 2016 APPROVED!!!

Visa Received: March 23rd, 2016

POE: April 15th, 2016 Otay Mesa Border Crossing (San Diego)

Sunset Wedding: May 21st, 2016 at 7:15PM On the Beach in Carpinteria, California.

----------------------

AOS

I-485 Filed: June 17th, 2016

I-765 Filed: June 17th, 2016

I-131 Filed: June 17th, 2016

NOA Received July 4th 2016

Biometrics Appointment: July 30th at 8AM

Biometrics Completed: July 21st 2016 (Oxnard Ca, No Line, no waiting, went 9 days early)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.