nobodyknows

Newbies to process

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are very much in love and would like to get married before the end of the year. She plans on coming out to the US sometime in October for the wedding. She comes from a Visa Waiver country (England), and after much reading through all your posts, we discovered that we can marry here and that there is a way that she does not have to return back to England after the wedding.

We looked through the guides, but couldn't find that answer there. Can anyone help us in this matter? How does the process work? What exactly is it called if it is different that the K1/K3 Visa Process? Does it involve a K3 Visa? Should she be prepared to go back to England before the 90 Day expiration? Any help in this matter would be helpful.

We had already started gathering all our proof documentation for a proper Visa so we just want to make sure we have all legal avenues covered so that we have no problems at all.

Thank you all for your invaluable information!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What you are proposing is illegal.

It is not illegal to come to the U.S. to get married, but it is illegal to come to the U.S. with the intent of getting married and remaining in the U.S. to live permanently.

The process you are talking about is if a person comes to the U.S. to visit, and while in the U.S., decides spur of the moment, and without previous intent, to get married to a U.S. citizen. Then, that person can stay in the U.S. and apply for Adjustment of Status.

You would, however, have to prove at your AOS interview, that your fiance had no intent to come to the U.S. and marry you and remain in the U.S. permanently. If you are unable to convince the immigration officer that this was not the case, your fiance could be banned from the U.S. for a period of time.

You are better off to either pursue the K-1 (Fiance) Visa or the K-3 (Spousal) Visa and do it legally. In either case, your fiance would have to return to England to have her medical exam and interview.

With the K-1 Visa, after approval, your fiance enters the U.S., you must marry in the U.S. within 90 days, and then apply for AOS.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.