Cbaqir

Bringing in Money to US

8 posts in this topic

You can can carry cash, but how much you can carry depends on the laws/rules of the country you are travelling from. Also, you can do a cashier's check from your bank payable through a US bank.

If the total amount of items you are carrying is $10,000 or more, you need to declare them at US Customs at the airport after you arrive to the US.

Having done all this more than once, I can tell you that wire transfers are definitly the safest and quickest, so it might be worth it.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Coming from Iraq, you should be aware of the Patriots Act.

It would be best if you sent the money through a bank that complies with the Patriot Act.

The US is very weary of money coming from terrorist countries.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Coming from Iraq, you should be aware of the Patriots Act.

It would be best if you sent the money through a bank that complies with the Patriot Act.

The US is very weary of money coming from terrorist countries.

OP you cannot merely bring or transfer large sums of money into the US, you must, as aaron stated, find a bank that complies with the Patriot act as you are from a T country. Read this and make sure you are in compliance. http://www.homelandsecurity-us.com/banking.html

You can can carry cash, but how much you can carry depends on the laws/rules of the country you are travelling from. Also, you can do a cashier's check from your bank payable through a US bank.

If the total amount of items you are carrying is $10,000 or more, you need to declare them at US Customs at the airport after you arrive to the US.

Having done all this more than once, I can tell you that wire transfers are definitly the safest and quickest, so it might be worth it.

this is not true for a T country

To wire money from the US to Kazakhstan is cost me $50 and the receiver $26, so I add an additional $26 to the amount to cover the transaction fee. To wire money from Kazakhstan to the US it is 1% of the amount with a minimum as we only did this once when we sold my wife's apartment. I think that is cheap as the bank does all the reporting to the US government and IRS. Bringing in cash requires you to report it on the Customs declaration form, if it is above a certain amount you also have to file the correct forms with the IRS, and in your situation you must be very certain you comply with the Patriot Act. Plus you have to make certain you do not get robbed, or if there is an issue with the airplane, God forbid, and the money goes up in smoke.or gets lost.

IMHO the cost of a wire transfer is worth it. If you want to carry cash to save a few dollars, I strongly suggest you read up on the Patriot Act, the CBP website about bringing cash into the country, and the IRS' website about receiving foreign money especially if you are already a LPR, or USC or going to become a LPR or USC sometime in the future.

Dave

• 2 months later...
Filed: Timeline

I'm told wire transfers often are scams in Iraq. Any ther options?

There are plenty of state owned and private banks in Iraq capable of making wire transfer to the US. You will need to prove that the money came from a clean source.

Whoever told you the wire transfers often are scams is not using a real bank.

I'm told wire transfers often are scams in Iraq. Any ther options?

Reputable, nationalized banks are not scams. Your biggest hurdle would be proving the money is clean and complies with local tax laws.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.