Moby4

Importing an Unregistered RV at POE

7 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've read some threads about importing a car but I haven't seen any threads about RVs.

I'm thinking about purchasing a RV in Ontario before my return to the US to take advantage of the weak Canadian dollar. Will the process be the same as importing a car? There is no duty on it as long as it was built in the US or Canada just as it is with a car?

Also, I would like to leave the RV unregistered in Ontario and drive it to the US with a "In-Transit" permit and title transfer/bill of sales from the seller. I'm wondering if there would be any issue at the border if I did this. I know I will be ok in Michigan once I cross the border since I have a week or so after the purchase of the vehicle that I am allowed to drive the vehicle unregistered to take it home.

Citizenship: Japanese. Lived in the US from 1993-2015 but H1B ran out before PERM process completion and 7th year H1B extension deadline so moved to Canada on 1 year work permit.

Priority Date: 6/2/2015

Moved to Canada: 12/8/2015

I-140 Premium Processing Receipt Notice: 1/13/2016

I-140 Approval: 1/21/2016

NVC Case Number Received: 4/6/2016

NVC IV Fee email: 4/8/2016

NVC IV Fee Paid: 4/8/2016

DS-260 Sent: 4/13/2016

Civil Documents Sent: 4/15/2016

Scan Date: 4/19/2016

Check Listed for Canada Police Certificate and Proof of Residency: 5/6/2016

Check List Documents Sent: 5/9/2016

Case Complete: 5/24/2016

Started Process for H1B Extension with Premium Processing: 6/24/2016

Interview Date Email from NVC: 6/30/2016

Interview Date: 8/11/2016

H1-B Extension with Premium Processing filed: 7/11/2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You may have more issues with the compliance letter with an RV than a standard car. If you can't get that you won't be able to register it. You you thinking about paying in cash ? Loads usually restrict you in moving it.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

You'll have to pay duty on it just like anyone else who would go up to Canada and import a vehicle. You need to have owned something for a year to import it under the rules no duty.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/218/kw/import%20vehicle

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

You may have more issues with the compliance letter with an RV than a standard car. If you can't get that you won't be able to register it. You you thinking about paying in cash ? Loads usually restrict you in moving it.

Yeah, I don't know how compliance will work with an RV. If it was originally built in the US though (Many RVs are), wouldn't you be able to say that its compliant? It will all be payed with cash.

You'll have to pay duty on it just like anyone else who would go up to Canada and import a vehicle. You need to have owned something for a year to import it under the rules no duty.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/218/kw/import%20vehicle

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

But doesn't NAFTA rules apply as long as the vehicle was built in Canada or the US? https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/404/~/nafta---duty-on-goods-imported-from-canada-and-mexico

Citizenship: Japanese. Lived in the US from 1993-2015 but H1B ran out before PERM process completion and 7th year H1B extension deadline so moved to Canada on 1 year work permit.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No duty if its a NAFTA vehicle. Chances are its US made if its a RV. No duty issues. Ownership time should not matter.

I had a GMC Pickup that I purchased 4 months before moving, no issues importing. Took 5 minutes. Once they saw it was a made in the US truck they "rubber stamped it" They just checked the VIN and I was on my way with the import paperwork.

I know at the Blaine, WA crossing they were used to seeing temp BC 1 day registration/tags for importing used vehicles into Washington from BC, heck it was even on their border patrol tv show in an episode.

So thats the Federal level taken care of. You may be subject to tax at the DMV/State level but that will vary.

Edited by HollywoodNorth

Hollywood North

Former: TN1, H1B, O1 worker

Currently: FB-1: I-551 approved in MTL 04/04/16. Issued 04/06/16.

Timeline

No duty if its a NAFTA vehicle. Chances are its US made if its a RV. No duty issues. Ownership time should not matter.

I had a GMC Pickup that I purchased 4 months before moving, no issues importing. Took 5 minutes. Once they saw it was a made in the US truck they "rubber stamped it" They just checked the VIN and I was on my way with the import paperwork.

I know at the Blaine, WA crossing they were used to seeing temp BC 1 day registration/tags for importing used vehicles into Washington from BC, heck it was even on their border patrol tv show in an episode.

So thats the Federal level taken care of. You may be subject to tax at the DMV/State level but that will vary.

Awesome, just what I wanted to hear. Thanks HollywoodNorth. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.