sativo

Proving financial status with I-129F

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I'm new to this process and have several questions. I intend to post them separately to avoid munging them together -- so please forgive me in advance if this is not the desired protocol.

My questions is:

How do I prove my financial status when filing my I-129F form?

My situation:

I'm a software engineer and have recently left my job in order to build my own software. At the moment I am not employed, but finding a job would not be a problem. I have enough in the bank to cover my expenses for a year while I get my own business off the ground.

Do I need to explain all this in my I-129F form? How should I explain it? What if anything must I send to prove my financial situation?

Thank you,

Sativo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

You do not have to prove financials when first filing the I-129. That will be proven when your fiancée had an interview at the embassy with the Affidavit of Support.

05.12.16 - Petition received at USCIS

05.16.16 - NOA 1

05.21.16 - Hard copy NOA 1

07.21.16 - NOA 2

07.25.16 - Hard copy of NOA 2

08.05.16 - NVC case number assigned

08.10.16 - Case received at consulate, packet 3 received, DS-160 submitted

08.11.16 - Packet 3 mailed to embassy

08.18.16 - Packet 4 received, visa fee paid, letter from NVC arrived

09.02.16 - Medical

09.22.16 - Interview, received 221(g) :crying:, Case changed to administrative processing for missing documents :protest:

10.03.16 - Mailed off response to 221(g), bye bye passport

10.04.16 - Package containing documents + passport arrived at the Amsterdam consulate

10.17.16 - Approved!!!

10.18.16- Visa in hand! :dancing:

10.21.16 - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As mentioned, financials only become relevant at interview stage.

Income is better; a bank statement of savings MAY be enough, but you will need 3 times as much as income, so around $63'000, is you two have no kids or other dependents. Alternatively, depending on how quick your process goes, you may have your first year's tax returns as a business owner by the time the interview comes around, and can use line 22 of your self-employed tax return to sponsor her.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

As mentioned, financials only become relevant at interview stage.

Income is better; a bank statement of savings MAY be enough, but you will need 3 times as much as income, so around $63'000, is you two have no kids or other dependents. Alternatively, depending on how quick your process goes, you may have your first year's tax returns as a business owner by the time the interview comes around, and can use line 22 of your self-employed tax return to sponsor her.

Hmm, I definitely won't have the kind of cash nor will have any income from my own business as the first year will mostly be expenses to support the development effort.

Where did you come up with that amount?

Can I just show my last year's tax return?

Timeline

It's based on the I-864: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

You cannot use your last year's tax return; while you will need to show that return, the most important is current and ongoing income. Your other option is to get a co-sponsor; a US citizen or greencard holder living in the USA who will stand guarantoor for the immigrant; usually a family member or close friend. But that is a big comittment for that person....

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

It's based on the I-864: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

You cannot use your last year's tax return; while you will need to show that return, the most important is current and ongoing income. Your other option is to get a co-sponsor; a US citizen or greencard holder living in the USA who will stand guarantoor for the immigrant; usually a family member or close friend. But that is a big comittment for that person....

I'm only seeing the min requirements for income, not the 3x over min requirements in liquid assets part that you alluded to earlier. Curious where they state that.

Thanks,

Sativo

Timeline

As I said, in the I-864 instructions: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864.pdf )p7, at the very top, but it is worth reading the whole form)

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Oh, ok great. At that time what will be needed. Will a copy of a bank statement be enough?

From my understanding, you prove you meet the financial requirement (that Penguin linked) with either income, or assets, or both. If you are showing bank statements there are specific instructions listed (statement from bank officer, statements, etc.). You can include previous years tax returns. However, now that you are self-employed you will need to read the instructions on what to include for that. I'm not very familiar with the self-employed requirements, sorry to say. I will tell you what I am doing for the financial. My annual income is 3 times the amount I would need to be at for my household size, so I am using tax returns, w-2's, pay stubs, and a letter from my employer to prove my financial. If my income would've feel short, I would've needed to make up the difference in assets (such as investments, property, savings, etc) If you still come up short in doing those things, you will need a co-sponsor for your fiance. I hope that helps.

05.12.16 - Petition received at USCIS

05.16.16 - NOA 1

05.21.16 - Hard copy NOA 1

07.21.16 - NOA 2

07.25.16 - Hard copy of NOA 2

08.05.16 - NVC case number assigned

08.10.16 - Case received at consulate, packet 3 received, DS-160 submitted

08.11.16 - Packet 3 mailed to embassy

08.18.16 - Packet 4 received, visa fee paid, letter from NVC arrived

09.02.16 - Medical

09.22.16 - Interview, received 221(g) :crying:, Case changed to administrative processing for missing documents :protest:

10.03.16 - Mailed off response to 221(g), bye bye passport

10.04.16 - Package containing documents + passport arrived at the Amsterdam consulate

10.17.16 - Approved!!!

10.18.16- Visa in hand! :dancing:

10.21.16 - POE

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

cosign with overzee , the main things to show for financial information is tax returns , bank statements , wage/income transcripts , pay stubs and this is for the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.