55 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are mistaking Constitutional rights in criminal matters with civil matters.

In criminal proceedings, you have a right to an attorney and the right to remain silent. You don't have those options in civil matters such as seeking a green card.

Immigration is civil. You do not have a right to an attorney in civil matters. You can bring one at your option, but you are not guaranteed the right to an attorney for a civil matter.

You do not have the right to be silent when seeking an immigration benefit. You need to answers questions if you want a green card.

Basically what I was getting ready to type. Thank you.

Filed: Other Timeline

"There is a chance I might be innocent"

What? You don't know if you are innocent or not? Seems to me like you committed fraud and are hoping that they prove it to you to convict you. Good luck.

04/27/2016 sent AOS PACKAGE

05/02/2016 PRIORITY DATE (day 1)

05/17/2016 FIRST NOA'S RECEIVED. HARD COPIES.

05/20/2016 BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT FOR 06/01/2016

06/01/2016 Biometrics taken.

08/02/2016 I-765 Work Permit approved. (day 90)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

You have an ongoing investigation for fraud and you think that USCIS should have focused primarily on your marriage? Even though there are ways for Americans to bring loved ones to the country, the USCIS is more concerned about what's good for the nation than for keeping that citizen happy. So if they are concerned that you are going to be a bad resident due to an ongoing investigation than that will be their focus. In addition if they believe you're involved in one fraud, it would be a natural assumption that you wouldn't feel bad committing immigration fraud as well. Have you consulted a criminal attorney about the criminal investigation? If you have, be sure to tell them what you said. I would assume that your statements would be admissible in court. And the next time you get called to USCIS for an interview, take a lawyer.

Thank you for your advice.

I do have a lawyer now for the criminal matter and also I already talked to 2 pro-immigrant organizations.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What visa are you adjusting from?

And the USCIS is there to judge you. That is their job. You applied to become a lawful permanent resident of the US. They conduct an interview, ask you questions, judge and decide if you are eligible or not.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

USCIS judges people everyday. People with clean records and normal relationships are judged by them daily and told their relationships aren't valid. This is with no red flags and the people never know what they did wrong, they apply again and get through no problems.

People with red flags are judged even harsher than those with none. USCIS judges character, and if you have a pending fraud case, then they can use that to judge your character. Simply having the case is enough for judgement for them as people generally don't just have fraud cases against them for no reason. If USCIS has access to it, they can use ANYTHING that they can find against you.

They aren't charging you with anything, your rights aren't being violated, they're doing what they do with everyone, judge a person (or peoples) character based on the information given, found, or obtained in any legal manner.

When you have a case against you for fraud, it's only common sense to question the honesty of the person you're interrogating for immigration purposes.

Keep talking to laywers. I've heard that people have brought their lawyers to interviews. but all the lawyers could do was make sure everything happening was legal. They couldn't talk for the people, they couldn't stop the people from answering questions, really, they don't have much affect. If USCIS asks a question, you have to answer it. If you don't, you'll raise more flags than if you answer honestly with a less than great answer.

Thank you,I will keep in mind.

Timeline

You are mistaking Constitutional rights in criminal matters with civil matters.

In criminal proceedings, you have a right to an attorney and the right to remain silent. You don't have those options in civil matters such as seeking a green card.

Immigration is civil. You do not have a right to an attorney in civil matters. You can bring one at your option, but you are not guaranteed the right to an attorney for a civil matter.

You do not have the right to be silent when seeking an immigration benefit. You need to answers questions if you want a green card.

Thank you for the clarification.

Timeline

"There is a chance I might be innocent"

What? You don't know if you are innocent or not? Seems to me like you committed fraud and are hoping that they prove it to you to convict you. Good luck.

Excuse me,whats your intentions??

You want me to confess in a open forum,that will never happen.

Of course,if there's no conviction then there's a tiny chance to be innocent.

One very popular case,everyone knows that he was guilty but the verdict was innocent....who??? OJ Simpson

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Immigration tells you from the very beginning that they have the right to know everything about US citizen and foreign beneficary

yes, anyone can remain silent but that would not do you any good

Fraud in US or Venezuela?

Timeline

Immigration tells you from the very beginning that they have the right to know everything about US citizen and foreign beneficary

yes, anyone can remain silent but that would not do you any good

Fraud in US or Venezuela?

US

Edited by TBoneTX
to remove quote of noncontributory comment

Hello everyone,here looking for advise and/or suggestions for our case.....

My wife (US Citizen) and I went to the interview early June,the interview last almost 3 hours,yes 3 damn HOURS.

Well,long story short,there's an ongoing investigation outside Immigration matters for something that I did few months ago and USCIS found out.

80% of the questions were related to the criminal investigation and 20% of our marriage,they don't even bothered to look for our marriage evidence (photos,bills,bank statements,etc etc)

Now,like I said,it's an investigation going on,I haven't been convicted or arrested,so I don't know if USCIS can rely on that.

Also,we went to our interview without lawyer because I wasn't prepared for this,so I don't know if people whose attend these interviews has rights,constitutional rights

Those interviews are recorded??

Do they suppose tell people about their rights before starts the interview???

Thank you in advance.

what were you guys told at the end of the interview ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Are you asking about the non profit representation for the USCIS or for the criminal case? It depends on the non profit. Some of them are good and some aren't. You'll have to do your own research to decide that.

Edited by TBoneTX
to delete reference to removed material

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Timeline

what were you guys told at the end of the interview ?

To be honest with you,I don't remember that much,a mix of feelings at that moment,I think she said "we have to make a decision"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.