Jafifa1978

k1 denied under 221(g) - no relationship with you and petitioner, advise please!

85 posts in this topic

Hi nuestraunion,

no its not, his previous marriages was with u.s citizen

Oh ok. Since the counselor inquired about is divorces during the interview i thought something like that may have been the case.

we never thought it didn't meet the consular expectation TBoneTX. would you guide me a little bit more on this please?

The petition determines if you are allowed to APPLY for the visa such as meeting all the basic requirements. Ex: petitioner is US citizenship, both are unmarried, legal ages, etc

The interview determines if you should RECIEVE the visa such as prooving a legitimate relationship.

There is a little more to it but that is a highlevel explaination.

Three year relationship and only 1 week of facetime would raise a red flag. USCIS likes to see lots of proof of couples together with family and friends.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

the one week visit and 3 year relationship , the "taking care of yall" i think is another if you were cr1 maybe that would be ok to say but with k1 i wouldnt think so because it sounds like youre already married , not sure if that embassy has a certain bias on age gaps , did u guys frontload?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi soulstriker, im not sure what do you mean by frontload?

Just out of curiosity, are you Muslim and your fiance is not? If so this could raise a pretty big red flag.

As for frontload it means to put a ton of evidence of your relationship in your initial petition, anything in your petition will eventually be provided to the embassy.

Also, it would be highly beneficial to spend more face time together, that is one of the main issues you are having right now.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Red flag= time not spent together

red flag- he is divorced 2 times already

red flag - he sends money to you

You are worried about the long time for CR 1??? you already waited over 3 years

Marry and do the CR 1

My visits were all over a month and 2 of them were for 3 months

He not only needs to hear about your life from you but he needs to see and understand your culture, your religion, your family ties

When he sends in the next application, he needs to send not only photos of you and him but him with your family

Good luck -the road is long and hard but love will get you trough this

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Front load means sending all the evidence with the initial petition, rather than bringing it to interview. The CO is more likely to look at it then.

Essentially, you met the minimum requirements to apply, but not to be approved; think of it like a job interview- you met the minimum requirements stated on the job ad (met once, free to marry), but you didn't have enough job experience (relationship experience) to get approved. I am sorry this happened.

The best thing to do now is to talk more, make sure you know everything about eachother, having him visit a second time, marry in a third visit, then petition for a spousal visa and meet once or twice more before the interview for that- essentially, the more and the longer you two are face to face, the better the chances of approval.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Yes,we did submitted the evidences of the relationship when he filed the petition, but i guess you were right, the flight tickets, the hotel receipt, the pictures is not good enough for now,im thinking of getting him to fly again in couple of months, and youre right, the road is really long and hard, we cant give up now.

Yes,different religion, guess thats another red flag.cant stop fighting now

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hello adil & jeanne,

thank you very much i cant express how your reply helped me to feel a lil bit better, i hope my fiance will see it that way too.

Penguin_ie,

i will talk to my fiance and let him read this forum as well, thank you i feel a lil bit hopeful with all of your support.this surely help to make us look forward to something positive.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Gabon
Timeline

Hi Jafifa, i guess you could apply for a tourist visa B1/B2 to start, stay with him at least for a month, you could get to know each other better, his family, his friends ..... 3 years online is nothing compared to 1 month face to face. And pls forget the fact that he provides for you, do not keep using that as one of the evidences of a relationship.

Then he could come in your country, you guys get married and then apply for the spousal visa.

I-129F and Adjustment of Status.docK1 Visa Journey (see attachment)

Adjustment Of Status Journey(see attachment)

ROC Journey

08/27/19 : Windows opens.

I-129F and Adjustment of statusI

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think you were been honest, but the "he sent you a ring before he even met me" just put the nail in the coffin. You two might be in a genuine relationship. But the actions taken by you and your fiance looks like a setup. Mailing a ring across seas to propose to someone is not a common practice here especially when the guy is sending you money and been so loving towards you. You two can get married. But your fiance will have to invest as much time (face to face) as he does with his money and gestures towards you.

Save every piece of evidence and have your fiance join this forum so he can prepare well for the next step.

Good luck!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

You have received good advice in needing a lot more face time.

There is one very small chance if your fiance requests a second interview through his senator or congressman

and if granted (again, very small chance they will grant it) then he needs to be on the premises for that interview and

you need to bring all relationship evidence you have from beginning to current including new photos with family from that visit

before the second interview. Don't get your hopes up with this route but its worth a try. The senator can say evidence was not looked at

and it may help a bit.

Otherwise your returned petition will expire and you can marry and file a CR1.
Good that you will try to get your fiance on this site for future advice on how to proceed and to follow all steps outlined.
The CR1 process is a bit more complicated and a little research goes a long way.
Our K1 was also denied after 16 months in AP and we re filed and were approved. It was a very long visa journey.
Hang in there and don't give up.
Sorry this happened to you and best wishes !

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

If I were you, I would have him come for another visit as soon as he can. You could get married there in Malaysia, then apply for a CR-1. My husband and I have met 7 times in 5 years. It's ridiculously expensive and the wait is long. However, if you are in a real relationship, you won't give up. In our case, sending the CR-1 to Nebraska, add another 5-6 months before your paperwork is even looked at. It's all so sad, exasperating, and frustrating. However, my husband and I refuse to give up....even though a million bad things have been thrown in our way.

BTW, our "evidence packet" was 5.5 inches thick. We were going to be da&%ed if they could claim we didn't have a real relationship. But what happened? The US Embassy decided his "national" official divorce papers weren't the right ones, so we are in the middle of a crisis with him trying every day to get different divorce papers and send them to Nebraska in time before they can cancel our application.... :cry:

Good luck!!

Edited by Love To Teach

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi Jafifa1978 I'm really sorry to hear your experience :( while reading your post my heart sunk to the bottom of my stomach, my fiancee (petitioner) and I have been together for almost a year now, we met last December for a week, after that we decided to file in January and in two weeks I have my interview, but now I'm really thinking if we should have met each other throughout this year, which is very difficult because she needs a visa to come to Venezuela and it is very dangerous for her to be here and it's just not a good place for foreing people right now, and I don't have a tourist visa to go there and to get one now is impossible, so we have to meet in another country where we both can go in without visas and where she can be safe, which is a lot of money for both of us because we have to pay flights for both, hotels, food, etc, so we decided to save that money while we are in this process and wait for the outcome, but now we are thinking if we made the right decision of not meeting again while this process.

Our AOS Journey:

09/02/2016- Sent AOS Paperwork to Chicago lockbox (I-485, I-765, I-131)

09/05/2016- Paperwork received by Chicago lockbox

09/08/2016- NOA1 Texts Received

09/10/2016- NOA1s received in the mail

09/24/2016- Received biometrics letter in the mail for October 3, 2016

09/30/2016- Biometrics completed (walk-in, Tukwila)

10/01/2016- Notice of Request for Initial Evidence via text (I-485)

10/06/2016- Received RFIE in the Mail for I-864, Sent back response

10/12/2016- RFIE Received by USCIS

10/25-26/2016- Approval and Card Being Produced for EAD/AP

11/04/2016- Case Status changed to 'Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview'

11/07/2016- Case Status changed to ' Card was Mailed To Me'

11/10/2016- EAD/AP Card Received in Hand

03/16/2017- AOS Interview!!

Filed: Timeline

Hi Jafifa1978 I'm really sorry to hear your experience :( while reading your post my heart sunk to the bottom of my stomach, my fiancee (petitioner) and I have been together for almost a year now, we met last December for a week, after that we decided to file in January and in two weeks I have my interview, but now I'm really thinking if we should have met each other throughout this year, which is very difficult because she needs a visa to come to Venezuela and it is very dangerous for her to be here and it's just not a good place for foreing people right now, and I don't have a tourist visa to go there and to get one now is impossible, so we have to meet in another country where we both can go in without visas and where she can be safe, which is a lot of money for both of us because we have to pay flights for both, hotels, food, etc, so we decided to save that money while we are in this process and wait for the outcome, but now we are thinking if we made the right decision of not meeting again while this process.

EDIT: I misread, and I see you did meet once.

If you get denied, meet again. Its generally a good idea for relationships. Meet your partner. You can meet in a 3rd country if she doesn't want to go to Venezuela.

I assume she got a visa to Venezuela before. She can get another one. Its $30. If she can't afford that, how can she afford a trip and your expensive immigration journey? Best of luck to you both!

Edited by Harmonia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.