qwertie

Income requirements? separate I-130s for stepchild?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello! I'm a U.S. citizen wanting to immigrate with my new wife from the Philippines.

After researching the immigration processes for awhile, I suspect my main problem might be the "affidavit of support". Currently I do not have a job; I quit as a Master's student at a university in Canada to marry this woman and I have decided to work on personal projects for awhile. I'm a software engineer, but there are no jobs for a software engineer in the town where my wife lives, and I expect any job I could get in this country would pay 1/4 to 1/3 what I could get in the U.S. Therefore, I decided not to bother, and am living on savings.

As I have over 20 years of experience, I'm confident I can find a job in the U.S., so ideally what I want to do is go to the U.S. with my new family and then find a job; but if necessary I could bear to go in advance and get a job first. The important thing is to avoid a long separation.

(1) There are two affidavits of support, I-134 and I-864. Can you confirm that I'll use the I-864? What is that I-134 for?

(2) it looks like the affidavit of support is not required for the initial I-130 and I-129F, but are still required - plus a certain amount of wealthiness - before any K3 or IR-1 VISA is issued. Is that correct?

(3) what are the income/asset requirements? I-864 mentions the "Federal Poverty Level" without specifying its relevance; one site claims the Federal Poverty Guideline for a family of 3 is $20,160, but I think I saw another source that gave a number around $25,000.

(4) Since my income will most likely be zero this year, I'd presumably rely on assets, which will be roughly $CAD66,000 in home equity (in Canada!), $CAD40,000 in retirement savings and $CAD21,000 in "cash" accounts at the end of this year - totaling about $US98,000. Is this enough?

(5) Do I have to file one ($420) or two I-130s ($840) to include my stepson?

(6) What can I do to avoid a long separation from my family?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

(1) There are two affidavits of support, I-134 and I-864. Can you confirm that I'll use the I-864? What is that I-134 for?

Not sure what the other is for but for wife and stepchild it is the I-864 indeed

(2) it looks like the affidavit of support is not required for the initial I-130 and I-129F, but are still required - plus a certain amount of wealthiness - before any K3 or IR-1 VISA is issued. Is that correct?

No you do not need the AOS for the I-130. The I-130 is a procedure to show you actually DO qualify to bring your wife and child into the US (that you are really a USC, that any previous marriages were terminated and the divorce is final etc).

(3) what are the income/asset requirements? I-864 mentions the "Federal Poverty Level" without specifying its relevance; one site claims the Federal Poverty Guideline for a family of 3 is $20,160, but I think I saw another source that gave a number around $25,000.

It is $25,200. It is less if you are in the Armed forces, that is the $20,160 you saw. Official document is here:
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

(4) Since my income will most likely be zero this year, I'd presumably rely on assets, which will be roughly $CAD66,000 in home equity (in Canada!), $CAD40,000 in retirement savings and $CAD21,000 in "cash" accounts at the end of this year - totaling about $US98,000. Is this enough?

I am not 100% sure if it poverty guidelines x3 or x5. I *think* for wife it is x3 so you need about $75k. You should be ok :)

(5) Do I have to file one ($420) or two I-130s ($840) to include my stepson?

Two. You need TWO of everything. Two I-130s, later, two IV applications, two DS-260s, two I-864. Everything is TWO :)

Wish I could answer that. Can you do DCF (Direct Consular Filing) since you live there permanently??
BEST OF LUCK!!!!! :) :)
Let me know if I can help further!

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

2011 - Met hubby online and became friends
Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)
January 2016 - Finished gathering all documents and getting them translated
* * DCF in Athens, Greece * *

28th January 2016 - Finally filed I-130s
29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

September 2016 - Hubby is diagnosed with congestive heart failure
October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

October 2017 - March 2018 - Situation at home is toxic. He files for divorce.

July 2018 - Divorce is final. I have full custody of our daughter.

ROC (GC expires July 19th 2018)

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

August 30th - NOA1 received with 18 month extension (fee waiver approved).

March 28th 2019 - Biometrics

August 8th 2019 - Case Approved No RFE No Interview - 10 year GC in production

N400 (Online - Detroit, MI office)
June 6th 2023 - Applied for naturalization under 5 year rule.
June 7th 2023 - Application received/Biometric will be reused.
June 16th - Interview scheduled.
July 27th - Upcoming interview.

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Wish I could answer that. Can you do DCF (Direct Consular Filing) since you live there permanently??

Okay, maybe if I asked a more specific question... for instance, I've heard that at some point in the application process I am required to have a U.S. address. So, when is the first point in the VISA process that requires me to go rent an apartment in the U.S.? And does anyone know if it would be feasible to use the address of a relative already in the U.S. instead?

P.S. I don't know what a DCF is, but I haven't read anything specific that makes me think it's harder to file paperwork outside the U.S. Did I miss something?

Edited by qwertie

Timeline

Good morning.

DCF is when you are an American living abroad..it is a lot faster than going through the NVC.However not all embassies offer it. I am on my cell and can't give you the link but if you search "direct consular filing explained" you will get all the info you ever wanted :)

You can use any US address. We used my father in law's. So no worries!

If you can do DCF GO FOR IT. It is absolutely the fastest way!!

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)

29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Thanks. I found this page which is directly applicable to the Philippines, although outdated (one reply says "I would point out that this is a good example of how fast procedures change. I counted 3 items where the information is already obsolete due to changes since you filed last year."). Thanks for pointing me toward a path that might be able to minimize family separation.

I still wonder if there is a really solid, complete source of information - it's puzzling why the state department site seems to be missing a lot of important details, e.g. DCF is not mentioned anywhere, and the income requirement is mentioned only indirectly. It's scary, I mean who knows what other "gotchas" they will throw at us! I also wonder what the relationships are among the bureaucracies (DoS, USCIS, INS, Consular VISA service)...

Timeline

DCF is not widely mentioned from the USCIS. Where a normal visa timeframe can be 18 months +, DCF is 3-6 months and yoi get to stay with your spouse. Philippines from what I have heard is also pretty fast!

I would absolutely post in the regional forum as there are a loooot of applications from the Philippines and they will help you with more solid and current information :)

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

DCF or direct consular filing is available at us embassy manila. Since you are permanent resident here at PH, and your staying here for straight 6 months you can apply for dcf. Check out the guides for dcf in this website.

Definitely do DCF if you can. The time frame for the CR1 visa is halved if not less.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.