Mrs U

AOS June 2016 Filers

2,356 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Just have a question about SSN card, since we already got the green card, is it necessary to go to the SSN office to get a replacement card without the wording "valid only with DHS authorization"?

I searched within the forum and got mixed answers, does anyone have experience on that?

There's no need to, you can do it if you want to though. I went to update mine because my address and phone number changed as well and I wish I didn't, because they ended up messing my name up and that cost me another 2 visits, lots of waiting and frustration. I'd wait it out til citizenship!

Just got off the phone (a second time) with USCIS, I was calling them to inquire about the status of the EAD and AP which was filed with the AOS on June 19th.

We filed I484, I765 and I-131 for my wife, and her two daughters.

After I called USCIS 2 weeks ago, my wife has since received the I-797 notice that her EAD and AP have been approved, and we even received the official letters in the mail that the cards will be ordered and mailed.

So I called USCIS back today about the daughters status to find out what's going on.

The lady I spoke to told me that because I received an RFE on one of the daughters I-485 application, that her EAD and AP application have been reset to day 1. That was back on August 19th, so we are only 45 days on her application.

For the other daughter, since there were no RFE's she said we could file to have her EAD and AP looked into to find out what the delay was, then the operator sounded surprised and say's oh wait, no we can't do anything yet because your case is with the national benefits center and they are only just now processing applications from May 3rd 2016. They have a really heavy case load and so they are way backed up.

After she told me that I asked if I can speak to a Supervisor. The supervisor I spoke to confirmed everything the previous operator told me, that the case load at NBC is backed up to May 3rd, but despite that backup he would put in a request to have the EAD and AP looked at and he gave me a confirmation number. He also seemed real surprised that my wives EAD AND AP have been approved after I called to ask about it.

So there you have it. The kids are still pending, according to USCIS one of the girls EAD and AP is over 3 months away from even having her case looked at again since the new file date is August 19th, due to the RFE I received.

Best wishes to the folks that sailed through the application.

stfiii, that's really discouraging news on your daughter's AOS. I'm really sorry to hear that and hope that the officers may be mistaken in this assessment (i.e. that even though the RFE mean USCIS theoretically has more time to process the case, they may still move it along more quickly. So fingers crossed that will be the case.)!

I also received an RFE pretty late in the game (because USCIS misspelled my name and then requested further evidence when I had it corrected during my biometrics appointment) -- so I really hope it isn't true that this will add an additional 100 days to the process. When I asked customer service about the delays that would be incurred by the RFE, they said the processing would continue at its normal pace as soon as the evidence has been submitted and processed. So if that's true, in my case it would have added only a week.

I'm also not sure how accurate the statement that they are now only processing early May submission can really be, if numerous people who filed their AOS much later already have their EAD in hand. It all seems very intransparent/random. In any case, I hope the cases for all your family members will move forward quickly!

Unrelated to this, I have another question to the forum: I did not file for my advance parole document when I filed for AOS because I understood that a specific reason (sick relative etc) would be necessary to obtain advance parole. However, I would like to go visit my family for Christmas and am doubtful I'll have my Greencard by then. Does anyone have any experience filing for advance parole while EAD and AOS are processing? I don't want to hold up my EAD card process under any circumstances. I'm nervous that if I send in something now, they may hold my EAD until this additional request is processed. In that case, I'd rather skip Christmas in Germany this year.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!

U.S entry 05-13-2016

Wedding 05-20-2016

AOS package sent off 05-31-2016

AOS received by USCIS 06-06-2016

Biometrics appointment 08-03-2016

EAD approved 09-08-2016

NOA received 09-12-2016

Infopass appt re: EAD 10-06-2018 (EAD printing requested)

EAD received 10-26-2016 

Greencard interview waived

2-year Greencard received 02-11-2017 (valid until 02-03-2019)

I-751 Filed 11-06-2018

I-751 receipt text message 11-14-2018

Biometrics appt 12-19-2018 (postponed to 01-04-2019)

Not yet received I-797 (lost in mail; request to resend filed via phone 01-22-2019)

stfiii, that's really discouraging news on your daughter's AOS. I'm really sorry to hear that and hope that the officers may be mistaken in this assessment (i.e. that even though the RFE mean USCIS theoretically has more time to process the case, they may still move it along more quickly. So fingers crossed that will be the case.)!

I also received an RFE pretty late in the game (because USCIS misspelled my name and then requested further evidence when I had it corrected during my biometrics appointment) -- so I really hope it isn't true that this will add an additional 100 days to the process. When I asked customer service about the delays that would be incurred by the RFE, they said the processing would continue at its normal pace as soon as the evidence has been submitted and processed. So if that's true, in my case it would have added only a week.

I'm also not sure how accurate the statement that they are now only processing early May submission can really be, if numerous people who filed their AOS much later already have their EAD in hand. It all seems very intransparent/random. In any case, I hope the cases for all your family members will move forward quickly!

Unrelated to this, I have another question to the forum: I did not file for my advance parole document when I filed for AOS because I understood that a specific reason (sick relative etc) would be necessary to obtain advance parole. However, I would like to go visit my family for Christmas and am doubtful I'll have my Greencard by then. Does anyone have any experience filing for advance parole while EAD and AOS are processing? I don't want to hold up my EAD card process under any circumstances. I'm nervous that if I send in something now, they may hold my EAD until this additional request is processed. In that case, I'd rather skip Christmas in Germany this year.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!

From at least a couple of people that done that recently, it seems the approval of the AP went by within a month of filing. Go for it as soon as possible! Don't forget to send in a copy of your i485 receipt. Best of luck

Received Green Card by priority mail yesterday, less than one week from approval notice :)

Thanks VJers for all the support, and good luck to all.

AOS/AD,EAD

2016-06-20 AOS/AP/EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

2016-06-22 Package received

2016-07-01 check cashed

2016-07-05 NOA1 email messages received

2016-07-08 received 3 NOA1 hard copies

2016-07-15 Biometrics letter received, scheduled for July 29

2016-07-19 Biometrics completed, walk-in at Morrisville, NC office

2016-07-25 All 3 receipt numbers start showing up online

2016-08-15 I-485 status changed to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

2016-08-27 Received notices that EAD and AP are approved

2016-09-03 Received I-797 approval notices for EAD/AP in the mail

2016-09-06 Received EAD/AP combo card

2016-09-22 Interviewed Sep. 22, Green card not approved due to missing paperwork

2016-09-26 Submitted missing documentation

2016-09-28 Received text messages for I-485 "new card ordered" and "case was approved"

​2016-09-29 Went o local office to have passport stamped with I-551

2016-10-05 Green card arrived via Priority Mail (105 days)

Alright people...I'm seriously ready to go home and not come back.

Got back from vacqtion and called the USCIS this morning only to get an incompetent person on the phone that annoyed the ####### out of me as soon as he answered the phone (at this point I believe they are trained to be incomprehensible and have a low voice, so if you misunderstand something and call back the next time, it'll be on you!)

Anyway, after listening to his bs he did eventually transfer my call to a tier 2.

This officer was very nice (probably 100 years old, but nice). He told me that the hold up on my card production was due to the amount of applications (yeah right) and I should not look or compare my case to others that have already received their cards....true, but pffff..who doesn't!!? Also he told me to call back in a week or two if I haven't received the card by then (that's what I've been told last time as well).

When it comes to my I-485...this case has been transfered to my NBC center on Aug. 18th. He did mention an interview, but whether he saw that on the screen or just assumed I'd be scheduled for one, I don't know.

Well, at least I got a little more information this time. Though it doesn't really help or put me at ease. Especially when I see new people chatting in the forum because everybody I know is already gone and don't have to be bothered with this sh*** for the next two years. meeehhhhh :cry:

Ha! I'll be back too whining and bit*** about the same ridiculous stuff again. :ranting:

AOS from K-1

06/06/2016 - Married

06/12/2016 - AOS filed

06/13/2016 - received at Chicago Lockbox [day 0]

06/21/2016 - NOA1 date [day 8]

06/27/2016 - NOA1 hard copy in mail [day 14]

07/01/2016 - Biometrics letter received [day 18]

07/13/2016 - Biometrics appointment [day 30]

08/29/2016 - SR online [day 77] (assigned to officer, response to inquiry sent, and completed all on the same day) => no confirmation email received

09/02/2016 - EAD & AP approval notices in mail (both dated 08/29/2016) [day 81]

All 3 cases online still on 'Case Was Received'
09/29/2016 - 2nd SR online for card to be mailed [day 108]
10/21/2016 - SR (finally) assigned and completed [day 130]
10/24/2016 - new card is being produced [day 133]

10/28/2016 - Infopass appointment [day 137]

10/28/2016 - GC approved - new card is being produced [day 137]

No interview!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Got back from vacqtion and called the USCIS this morning only to get an incompetent person on the phone that annoyed the ####### out of me as soon as he answered the phone (at this point I believe they are trained to be incomprehensible and have a low voice, so if you misunderstand something and call back the next time, it'll be on you!)

Anyway, after listening to his bs he did eventually transfer my call to a tier 2.

This officer was very nice (probably 100 years old, but nice). He told me that the hold up on my card production was due to the amount of applications (yeah right) and I should not look or compare my case to others that have already received their cards....true, but pffff..who doesn't!!? Also he told me to call back in a week or two if I haven't received the card by then (that's what I've been told last time as well).

When it comes to my I-485...this case has been transfered to my NBC center on Aug. 18th. He did mention an interview, but whether he saw that on the screen or just assumed I'd be scheduled for one, I don't know.

Well, at least I got a little more information this time. Though it doesn't really help or put me at ease. Especially when I see new people chatting in the forum because everybody I know is already gone and don't have to be bothered with this sh*** for the next two years. meeehhhhh :cry:

Ha! I'll be back too whining and bit*** about the same ridiculous stuff again. :ranting:

We're now in the same boat, although for us it's only been 9 days so not nearly as long as you. But we contacted our senator and she said the officer said "that recently it has been around 7-10 business days to receive the physical card but due to high volume they are experiencing now it could take up to 30 days."

Unbelievable!! Does anyone know if we can leave the country with our NOA for our i-131 and not the card? I'm not sure we can wait 30 days for the actual card to come.

We're now in the same boat, although for us it's only been 9 days so not nearly as long as you. But we contacted our senator and she said the officer said "that recently it has been around 7-10 business days to receive the physical card but due to high volume they are experiencing now it could take up to 30 days."

Unbelievable!! Does anyone know if we can leave the country with our NOA for our i-131 and not the card? I'm not sure we can wait 30 days for the actual card to come.

Do NOT leave the country without your card in your hand. You may have serious trouble coming back.

AOS from K-1

06/06/2016 - Married

06/12/2016 - AOS filed

08/29/2016 - SR online [day 77] (assigned to officer, response to inquiry sent, and completed all on the same day) => no confirmation email received

No interview!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Your first problem is you can't reenter the country without the card cause you will have problems on at POE than may results in being sent back on the plane you came in on.... I do not advise this route cause things can get lost in the mail then you really will be screwed BUT you only need your card for reentry you can leave but you must have card in hand on reentry... you can either 1 wait for the card or 2 leave have a family member mail you the card so you have it AP on reentry... you don't red the card to leave the country you only need it going threw border control on re entry... I do no advise leaving without the card in hand cause if someone was to mail it to your location outside the US it could get lost in the mail then your really acrewed

April 8th: AOS sent

April 11th: Recieved at Chicago lockbox [Day 0]

April 25th: NOA1 date (never recieved e-notifications) [Day 14]

April 29th: NOA1 hard copy recieved in the mail [Day 18]

May 9th: "Fingerprint fee recieved" [Day 28]

May 12th: Reciept number's start working on USCIS case status website [Day 31]

May 20th: Biometrics letter recieved [Day 39]

June 1st: Biometric appointment [Day 51]

​November 12th: Interview letter received ​[Day 216]

December 1st: Interview day! APPROVED [Day 235]

December 5th: Case status changed from "fingerprint fee received" to "Approved" post dated Dec 1st [Day 239]

Received approval letter in the mail for Green card [Day 239]

December 6th: "Card was mailed to me" [Day 240]

December 8th: Green card received in mail!!! [day 242]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My life is on a roll again, I got my EAD and am back into work! Is there a link someone can post that shows how long interviews take to be scheduled? I was a little late in filing and I'm concerned that it's not going to happen before my medical expires which is in December. My case status says they're ready to schedule it as at August 08.

I am the beneficiary originally from UK !!

ROC Timeline:

01.04.19: I-751 Received @ Phoenix

01.09.19: Check Cashed

02.13.19: NOA Received

04.30.19: Biometrics Completed

I'm so sorry, Buzzz and know exactly how frustrated you are! I had my infopass appointment today and received some gamechanging information!

1. The officer handling my case at the NSC apparently made a mistake and never "pushed" the production of my EAD after approving my case. I.e. basically, to them my case is considered closed and they haven't even noticed that I haven't received the EAD -- in spite of several calls to customer service, tier 2 officer and service request (all of which assured me my case is fine and I need to be patient). So without this infopass visit, I probably could have waited for months until they would finally put me through to someone with actual information. The field officer was very nice and she sent the NSC an e-mail to rectify the situation but said that it could still take a while, because they are very unresponsive and she has no way of reaching them directly.

She also said verbatim: "Don't get me started on the customer service. They have no idea what they're talking about. All they do is spread misinformation....do not waste your time calling them."

So Buzzz, I highly encourage you to get an infopass appointment to talk to someone in person. Who knows if it really helps to speed things up, but at least you know what the problem is. Check out service centers in cities nearby (Philly? Boston?) if NYC is booked out. That's what I did and though I'm totally exhausted after this day -- it was worth the drive and traffic.

2. The field officer also told me that since my EAD has been approved since September 8 and I am showing as approved in the system I can LEGALLY START WORKING WITHOUT THE PHYSICAL CARD with the information I've got. Receipt number etc. She said employers can check your status in the "E-Verify" System to get verification that you are legal. I couldn't really believe that, since I've read everywhere you need the physical card and even HR of the organization that offered me a job said they can't get me started without the card. But I just spoke to their HR department again and apparently it's true. So, I'm going in tomorrow to settle the details.

One more thing, the officer I spoke to also said that my AOS case just got passed on from the NSC and that all branch offices are completely focused on naturalizations before the new administration moves in. So I shouldn't expect an interview before February 2017. So one more reason for me to get that advance parole moving...

Anyway, good luck everyone with their cases! This process is so tiring!

U.S entry 05-13-2016

Wedding 05-20-2016

AOS package sent off 05-31-2016

AOS received by USCIS 06-06-2016

Biometrics appointment 08-03-2016

EAD approved 09-08-2016

NOA received 09-12-2016

Infopass appt re: EAD 10-06-2018 (EAD printing requested)

EAD received 10-26-2016 

Greencard interview waived

2-year Greencard received 02-11-2017 (valid until 02-03-2019)

I-751 Filed 11-06-2018

I-751 receipt text message 11-14-2018

Biometrics appt 12-19-2018 (postponed to 01-04-2019)

Not yet received I-797 (lost in mail; request to resend filed via phone 01-22-2019)

Pfff still no news on my case.. I did a 2nd SR but this time I didn't receive a confirmation by e-mail, I also talked to a Tier 2 officer but she told me that I just have to wait :clock: I have a pending job offer so I'm really stressing out right now. Today I've send an e-mail to the local congressman, to see if he can help me to expedite the process.

K1:

11-13-2015: I129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

11-27-2015: NOA1 Hardcopy

01-02-2016: NOA2 Hardcopy

03-10-2016: Medical appointment

03-17-2016: Interview --> APPROVED

05-16-2016: Moved to the USA

05-24-2016: Married (L)

05-25-2016: Applied for SSN (card got lost in mail)

AOS:

06-17-2016: AOS Package sent

07-02-2016: NOA1

07-02-2016: Applied again for SSN (denied because of expired I-94)

10-18-2016: AP 'Case was approved'

10-18-2016: EAD 'New card is being produced '

10-21-2016: AP Hardcopy of approval in mail

11-01-2016: EAD/AP 'Card was mailed to me'

11-04-2016: EAD/AP card received.

11-07-2016: Applied again for a SSN

11-29-2016: SSN received

12-12-2016: AOS approved

I'm so sorry, Buzzz and know exactly how frustrated you are! I had my infopass appointment today and received some gamechanging information!

1. The officer handling my case at the NSC apparently made a mistake and never "pushed" the production of my EAD after approving my case. I.e. basically, to them my case is considered closed and they haven't even noticed that I haven't received the EAD -- in spite of several calls to customer service, tier 2 officer and service request (all of which assured me my case is fine and I need to be patient). So without this infopass visit, I probably could have waited for months until they would finally put me through to someone with actual information. The field officer was very nice and she sent the NSC an e-mail to rectify the situation but said that it could still take a while, because they are very unresponsive and she has no way of reaching them directly.

She also said verbatim: "Don't get me started on the customer service. They have no idea what they're talking about. All they do is spread misinformation....do not waste your time calling them."

So Buzzz, I highly encourage you to get an infopass appointment to talk to someone in person. Who knows if it really helps to speed things up, but at least you know what the problem is. Check out service centers in cities nearby (Philly? Boston?) if NYC is booked out. That's what I did and though I'm totally exhausted after this day -- it was worth the drive and traffic.

2. The field officer also told me that since my EAD has been approved since September 8 and I am showing as approved in the system I can LEGALLY START WORKING WITHOUT THE PHYSICAL CARD with the information I've got. Receipt number etc. She said employers can check your status in the "E-Verify" System to get verification that you are legal. I couldn't really believe that, since I've read everywhere you need the physical card and even HR of the organization that offered me a job said they can't get me started without the card. But I just spoke to their HR department again and apparently it's true. So, I'm going in tomorrow to settle the details.

One more thing, the officer I spoke to also said that my AOS case just got passed on from the NSC and that all branch offices are completely focused on naturalizations before the new administration moves in. So I shouldn't expect an interview before February 2017. So one more reason for me to get that advance parole moving...

Anyway, good luck everyone with their cases! This process is so tiring!

Wow, thanks so much for your input!! This definitely helps and I hope things will finally get moving for us. Though I could rant on and on and about about the incompetence of some of those idiots working at the USCIS.

As to the info pass...I was trying to schedule one this morning and even got an appointment, but as soon as I was finished filling out all the information I got a message that the appointment was not available anymore.

Ugh....again..ridiculous! I'll keep trying though.

Let us know if anything changes for you. I'm a really tired of bi**** about the same thing over and over, but I will post as soon as I get news about anything.

Good luck to all of us..

AOS from K-1

06/06/2016 - Married

06/12/2016 - AOS filed

No interview!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Seems I am the only one still waiting for the Combo card :crying: and They received my RFE response since Aug 23 and nothing update since then.

ROC Journey(Texas service center SRC filer):

5/28/2019 Case reveived

11/14/2019 Biometric

5/18/2020 Case received in local office

6/12/2020 New card is being produced

AOS Journey
6/3/2016 send the document
6/7/2016 delivered to USCIS chicago PO box
6/15/2016 check cashed
6/20/2016 NOA1 Recieved
6/24/2016 biometric letter received

6/29/2016 biometric done walk-in
7/6/2016 appointment for BIO

8/11/2016 RFIE :crying::crying::crying::crying:

8/23/2016 RFE recieved by USCIS

9/7/2016 Day 90

9/14/2016 SR made

9/19/2016 SR complete still within processing time

10/13/2016 Expedited EAD requested with a job offer

10/20/2016 EAD new card is being produced :goofy::goofy:

11/2/2016 EAD in Hand

1/9/2017 Interview scheduled on FEB 9th

2/9 /2017 interview day!

2/21/2017 Another RFE

3/9/2017 RFE sent

4/7/2017 Second RFE sent

5/15/2017 i-130 apprved

8/15/2017 New card is being produced

Seems I am the only one still waiting for the Combo card :crying: and They received my RFE response since Aug 23 and nothing update since then.

Nope...definitely not the only one!!!

AOS from K-1

06/06/2016 - Married

06/12/2016 - AOS filed

No interview!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.