Starnexus

Prenup Stating if he Divorces me he has to Pay Back Expenses

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am considering bringing my Filipino same sex partner over here and I am just paranoid by nature. I read all the stories of Americans who have been duped into marriage by unscrupulous foreigners seeking the coveted green card. I want to know can I have him sign a prenuptial agreement that states that if he divorces me shortly after getting his 10 year green card (which means after the 2 year waiting period) that he has to at least reimburse me for all the expenses to bring him here? Would that be enforceable in court?

If this is something you are considering, then perhaps you are not ready for marriage. You and your boyfriend need to have a serious talk about what immigration would mean for your relationship. IMHO you are off to a terrible start. If there are no warnings signs and you are just going off of stories you have heard and applying them unfairly to him, then you will need to work on your own insecurities. If there are warnings signs, then I think you know what to do. I'm not saying that people cannot be sneaky and have ulterior motives, but what you are asking of your would be spouse is quite insulting/degrading if his love for you is genuine. Not to mention he will be opening himself up to possible ill treatment by your holding this financial/immigration carrot stick over him.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

If this is something you are considering, then perhaps you are not ready for marriage. You and your boyfriend need to have a serious talk about what immigration would mean for your relationship. IMHO you are off to a terrible start. If there are no warnings signs and you are just going off of stories you have heard and applying them unfairly to him, then you will need to work on your own insecurities. If there are warnings signs, then I think you know what to do. I'm not saying that people cannot be sneaky and have ulterior motives, but what you are asking of your would be spouse is quite insulting/degrading if his love for you is genuine. Not to mention he will be opening himself up to possible ill treatment by your holding this financial/immigration carrot stick over him.

I respectfully disagree. I've heard seen numerous stories of people duping Americans to get a green card. My pastor warned me one of her perishoners brought this guy over from Mexico and the guy left him as soon as his conditions were removed. Turns out the guy wasn't even gay! He had a wife and children back in Mexico. Some people are desperate and will do anything to come to the USA and if you listen to many fraud victims there's nothing you can do once they get their 10 year green card. He wouldn't be opening himself up to anything. If he's genuine he wouldn't have anything to worry about.

If I'm not mistaken, a prenuptial agreement is to protect the assets you already have before you're married, not to receive a payout if anything happens to the marriage.

It then kind of sounds like you want to be paid in turn for his immigration benefits...

That doesn't look too good.

Get to know him, if you can't trust him completely then you don't need to be marrying him.

Not true that I want to be paid in turn for his immigration benefits. I just want to be reimbursed if he is in fact cheating me. I'll still be broken hearted but at least I'll get my money back.

Then by all means, show him all of these posts. After he sees what you are writing, please share his thoughts with us. I mean you did hear about a guy from Mexico... ?

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Define "all the expenses to bring him here". What does it amount to? $3000? $5000? How much will the lawyer be to draft the prenuptial agreement? Don't forget he'll also need his own lawyer...

It seems to me that the potential protection from the agreement would be nearly as expensive as the cost of immigration.

If you have suspicions or are worried about fraud then it is in your best interest to hold off on the immigration process. Use the time to get to know your partner better.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Despite your disagreements with the replies in this thread, I feel you're getting good advice here so far.

Myself, I hired a lawyer to draft a pre-nuptial agreement to protect my assets prior to marriage, but after a lot of thought and some one on one conversations with her, I decided not to use it, even though my soon to be wife was amenable to signing it.

ASIDE: the advice given above about your fiance needing a lawyer is absolutely true. And since he might not have the funds to afford a lawyer, you'll probably be on the hook to pay for his lawyer. If you simply have your partner sign the agreement with no independent legal consultation, then the agreement will probably not be legally enforceable.

We married over 2 years ago. My wife has yet to remove conditions from her green card. I suppose she might abandon me at that point and even sue for half my assets in divorce proceedings. But I'm resigned to that if that happens. I wanted to start my marriage with the best chances of success and I felt not having a pre-nuptial agreement was a factor in enhancing these chances. Personally, I find that looking for immigration horror stories and projecting them onto my own relationship isn't beneficial. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

While some people do get scammed for the GC, there are plenty who are not. I personally think more people just have a falling out in their relationship than being scammed.

OP, you will not get reimbursed for your immigration expense from a prenuptial agreement. Imagine if your partner counters, and says you need to reimburse them back for all that they gave up before coming to the US?

I'm not hear to judge, but you sound like you want a guarantee that your relationship will work for the long term or it's a scam for the GC.

Despite your disagreements with the replies in this thread, I feel you're getting good advice here so far.

Myself, I hired a lawyer to draft a pre-nuptial agreement to protect my assets prior to marriage, but after a lot of thought and some one on one conversations with her, I decided not to use it, even though my soon to be wife was amenable to signing it.

ASIDE: the advice given above about your fiance needing a lawyer is absolutely true. And since he might not have the funds to afford a lawyer, you'll probably be on the hook to pay for his lawyer. If you simply have your partner sign the agreement with no independent legal consultation, then the agreement will probably not be legally enforceable.

We married over 2 years ago. My wife has yet to remove conditions from her green card. I suppose she might abandon me at that point and even sue for half my assets in divorce proceedings. But I'm resigned to that if that happens. I wanted to start my marriage with the best chances of success and I felt not having a pre-nuptial agreement was a factor in enhancing these chances. Personally, I find that looking for immigration horror stories and projecting them onto my own relationship isn't beneficial. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

You can't tell me you're not nervous as heck about that dead when the conditions are removed. I've sure you've heard about the stories of people, especially men, who have been taken to the cleaners by unscrupulous foreigners seeking that coveted green card. I understand you married for love but why not protect yourself just in case she wasn't in it for the same thing?

You should ask your partner to find his own way to US -> student visa, work visa.

Or better still, date locally.

Then you won't be worrying about Green Card fraud.

Believe me that was the plan. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine myself falling in love with someone so far away. It was just meant to be a nice little vacation 6 months ago. It just happened...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.