USA-TW

Should we "pretend this never happened"?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

USA-TW

Good question.

Your legally married.They forgive a lot of stuff for spouses of usc. Don't worry about it, tell the truth on the paperwork. Ignore the border agents comment about forgetting about it. The uscis has access to all the computer records for exit/entry. If you lie your gonna get hammered.

Just my 2 cents.

Harry

Hello VJ Community. My now wife and I have used this website as a great resource on our journey from dating to engagement and now marriage. Pretty much any question or concern we had could be answered here except for the dilemma we are facing now that I can't find an answer to.

A little background first. I am a US citizen and my wife is from Taiwan, though we met while she was living in Canada. She moved back to Taiwan then we started the K-1 process. After five months, she returned to the US via Canada and validated her K-1 status. I live very close to the Canadian border hence all the Canada border crossings.

About a month after entering the US via Canada, we decided to take a day trip across the border into lower Canada and explore the city she used to live in. Though we did lots of researching, I was not aware of the one entry rule. My wife, who is very cautious herself, thought we could travel because her I-94 listed the number of entries as "Multiple". So off we went and had a wonderful day. Upon our return into the US, the customs agent said she just forfeited her K-1 by leaving then sent us inside.They asked us a bunch of questions then had us wait. Finally, the CPB officer said the I-94 is incorrect (he scratched it out and hand wrote "SINGLE") then said what we did was stupid and 'I'm going to pretend this never happened" and we were allowed in.

Fast forward to now. We got married within the 90 days and are starting all of the AOS, AP and other documents required. When it comes to questions like "when was your last entry into the US", we are struggling to decide what to enter for two reasons. The CPB officer said this never happened and her Travel History doesn't have an entry date for that day (though it does have an exit). If we decide to put that most recent date down, will that change the process meaning will we have to file for a different kind of Visa or just explain the situation in the interview process? I've read that it's possible this would just fall under an Automatic Re-validation but I understand it's a grey area. I don't like the scenario of asking for forgiveness later if we put her original entry date in then get asked about the exit.

Looking for some insight.

Thank you.

USA-TW

Good question.

Your legally married.They forgive a lot of stuff for spouses of usc. Don't worry about it, tell the truth on the paperwork. Ignore the border agents comment about forgetting about it. The uscis has access to all the computer records for exit/entry. If you lie your gonna get hammered.

Just my 2 cents.

Harry

Hello VJ Community. My now wife and I have used this website as a great resource on our journey from dating to engagement and now marriage. Pretty much any question or concern we had could be answered here except for the dilemma we are facing now that I can't find an answer to.

A little background first. I am a US citizen and my wife is from Taiwan, though we met while she was living in Canada. She moved back to Taiwan then we started the K-1 process. After five months, she returned to the US via Canada and validated her K-1 status. I live very close to the Canadian border hence all the Canada border crossings.

About a month after entering the US via Canada, we decided to take a day trip across the border into lower Canada and explore the city she used to live in. Though we did lots of researching, I was not aware of the one entry rule. My wife, who is very cautious herself, thought we could travel because her I-94 listed the number of entries as "Multiple". So off we went and had a wonderful day. Upon our return into the US, the customs agent said she just forfeited her K-1 by leaving then sent us inside.They asked us a bunch of questions then had us wait. Finally, the CPB officer said the I-94 is incorrect (he scratched it out and hand wrote "SINGLE") then said what we did was stupid and 'I'm going to pretend this never happened" and we were allowed in.

Fast forward to now. We got married within the 90 days and are starting all of the AOS, AP and other documents required. When it comes to questions like "when was your last entry into the US", we are struggling to decide what to enter for two reasons. The CPB officer said this never happened and her Travel History doesn't have an entry date for that day (though it does have an exit). If we decide to put that most recent date down, will that change the process meaning will we have to file for a different kind of Visa or just explain the situation in the interview process? I've read that it's possible this would just fall under an Automatic Re-validation but I understand it's a grey area. I don't like the scenario of asking for forgiveness later if we put her original entry date in then get asked about the exit.

Looking for some insight.

Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.