MDR

When does Russian Citznship expire?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Was wondering if anybody knows when during the Imm. process does Russian citznship end.

The reason I ask is She owns a apartment in Tver. That was given to her husband by the Govt.

Her husband was in the military and after retirement given this flat.

anyways she has been widowed for 6 years, so it is hers, and she knows that as soon as she gets U.S. Citznship she will lose this flat, she rents this now while living in Kyrgyzstan,

Does anyone know when Russian citznship is lost in this process.

She intends to sell the flat before she loses it.

Any info sure would help.

Thanks, Mike

Dec 11 2006 -mailed I129F

Dec 182006 -NOA1

Feb 28 2007 -touched

Mar 01 2007 -touched again

Mar 02 2007 -touched again... RFE

Mar 05 2007 -CSC verified RFE was mailed on Mar 02

Mar 10 2007 - received RFE and returned same day

Mar 30 2007 - NOA2

Apr 19 2007 - snail mail VSC has packet and sending to Embassy in Kazakhstan

Apr 24 2007 - Interview date is June 21st by e-mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My impression and I could be wrong is that when you get your US Citizenship you swear alegience to the USA and give up your previous citizenship. I think it is possilbe for children born of that marriage to have dual citizenship but I think it is not possible for an immigrant. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

I can't tell you exactly when her Russian citizenship will expire, but I can tell you it will be several years (if ever) before she gets U.S. citizenship. (It's not automatic, you know!)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

My impression and I could be wrong is that when you get your US Citizenship you swear alegience to the USA and give up your previous citizenship. I think it is possilbe for children born of that marriage to have dual citizenship but I think it is not possible for an immigrant. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

Different countries have different rules, but one is not required (in most instances) to renounce their previous citizenship. Certain countries, i.e. North Korea, are mandatory, but others have the possibility of dual or transitioning to single.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Different countries have different rules, but one is not required (in most instances) to renounce their previous citizenship. Certain countries, i.e. North Korea, are mandatory, but others have the possibility of dual or transitioning to single.

Thanks guys for replies,

She pretty much knows that if K-1 goes through she will have to sell the flat, because she could never keep an eye on it, or trust anybody for a long period of time,

All her last renters had to pay was utilities and when she visited last summer, they had jumpered the electric around the meter, previous renters stole the hot water heater in bathroom and parts of the one in the kitchen, just crazy.

So I'll search a few sites and see what I can dig up.

she was just curious if I knew a time frame.

She is leaving for Tver at end of the month for police report,

and she thinks she will try to sell it now.

thanks, mike

Dec 182006 -NOA1

Feb 28 2007 -touched

Mar 30 2007 - NOA2

MDR,

russian citizenship never expires. that's first. assuming american citizenship does not by any means prevents anybody from keeping russian citizenship too. that's second.

another thing is that US will not recognize it but who cares... it's a grey area in americal law. one can leave with this his whole life and never notice this greyness...

in fact, to specifically get rid of russian citizenship will cost you $500, some pain in filing russian forms, and a year of wait.

i'm speaking out of personal experience and experience of thousands of other people.

obender

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Was wondering if anybody knows when during the Immigration process does Russian citiznnship end. The reason I ask is She owns a apartment in Tver. That was given to her husband by the Government. She knows that as soon as she gets U.S. Citznship she will lose this flat, she rents this now while living in Kyrgyzstan. Does anyone know when Russian citznship is lost in this process. She intends to sell the flat before she loses it.
As far as I understand, you cannot lose your Russian citizenship unless you take an affirmative step in renouncing it. My opinion is based on several inferences:

1. "Applicants who used to be citizens of the USSR or of the Russian Federation and then emigrated from the USSR or from Russia must submit: one of the documents which confirms that they are no longer citizens of the Russian Federation (so called "Visa to Israel" or stamp in their passport saying that they left for "permanent residence abroad" before the 6th of February, 1992 or official document certifying that their Russian citizenship was abrogated), otherwise the applications will not be accepted."

http://www.consulrussia.org/visa_frame.fil...of%20the%20USSR

- FAQ for getting a visa to Russia. Thus one does not lose citizenship

2. "ВЫХОД ИЗ ГРАЖДАНСТВА РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ

В соответствии с Федеральным законом «О гражданстве Российской Федерации», вступившим в силу 1 июля 2002 года, граждане Российской Федерации, проживающие на территории иностранного государства, могут оформить выход из гражданства Российской Федерации через дипломатическое представительство или консульское учреждение Российской Федерации. Для этого представляются следующие документы:"

One must provide a right to live in the US, fill out a form, make a declaration, proof no tax liability and no Russian registration before being renoucning one's Russian Citizneship.

Thus it shows that one cannot lose it so easily for reasons such as naturalization.

http://www.consulrussia.org/citizen.htm

3. "К ВОПРОСУ О ДВОЙНОМ ГРАЖДАНСТВЕ

В международном праве и российском законодательстве понятие «двойное гражданство» означает наличие у лица одновременно гражданства (подданства) двух или более государств. Двойное гражданство возникает, если в законодательстве данного государства не содержится ограничителей, препятствующих его возникновению (например, отказ от прежнего гражданства как условие приобретения «своего» гражданства; прекращение «своего» гражданства как следствие приобретения какого-либо иного гражданства).

Федеральный закон «О гражданстве Российской Федерации» от 31.05.2002 г. не содержит полного набора таких ограничителей и, следовательно, не исключает возможности возникновения на практике двойного гражданства. Например, приобретение гражданином России иного гражданства не влечет прекращения российского гражданства. Не требуется отказа от иного гражданства при приобретении российского гражданства по рождению и при приеме детей в гражданство Российской Федерации. В то же время приобретение российского гражданства лицами, достигшими 18 лет, возможно только при отказе от иного гражданства. Кроме того, для них Закон предусматривает необходимость постоянного проживания на территории России в течение нескольких лет непосредственно перед обращением по вопросу о приобретении гражданства. Последние два требования являются типичными ограничителями, препятствующими возникновению двойного гражданства.

Необходимо иметь в виду, что в правоотношениях с «двойными гражданами» Российская Федерация исходит только из наличия у них российского гражданства. Статья 6 упомянутого Закона определяет, что гражданин Российской Федерации, имеющий также иное гражданство, рассматривается «только как гражданин Российской Федерации».

Иными словами, если Вы - гражданин России, то по российскому законодательству Вам не запрещается приобретать гражданство США (либо любой другой страны), и Вы не лишаетесь российского гражданства, если становитесь гражданином США. В то же время Россия не признает за Вами гражданства США, поскольку между нашими странами нет договора о признании двойного гражданства. Это означает, в частности, что въезжать и выезжать из России, находиться на ее территории, либо обращаться в российские консульские учреждения за рубежом Вы должны по российским документам. При поездках в другие страны мира Вы можете использовать свой американский паспорт.

Иначе обстоит дело, если Вы - гражданин США дееспособного возраста (старше 18 лет) и хотите приобрести российское гражданство – в этом случае Ваше заявление не будет рассматриваться до тех пор, пока Вы не представите подтверждения об отказе от американского гражданства.

Российским гражданам, имеющим гражданство США, также следует учитывать, что в новом Федеральном законе «О гражданстве РФ» содержится оговорка, из которой следует, что при законодательно определенных обстоятельствах гражданин России, имеющий иное гражданство, может рассматриваться как иностранец и соответственно ограничиваться в правах.

Очень часто нам задают вопрос, как на практике при въезде-выезде из России пользоваться двумя паспортами (российским и американским) не нарушая законов. Все очень просто – российским пограничникам при въезде и при выезде из России Вы показываете только российский паспорт. В их обязанности не входит проверка у Вас наличия разрешения на въезд в США. Этим в соответствии с Федеральным законом «О порядке выезда из РФ и въезда в РФ» должна заниматься транспортная компания-перевозчик пассажира, представителю которой Вы при оформлении билетов на вылет из России и показываете свой американский паспорт. Вместе с тем просим иметь в виду, что в случае различного написания Вашего имени в российском и американском документах билет на вылет из России следует оформлять в соответствии с написанием имени, указанным в российском загранпаспорте."

Russia does not prohit the acquisition of dual citizenship nor does one lose his Russian citizenship in such an aquisition.

"ПРИЕМ В ГРАЖДАНСТВО РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ ДЕТЕЙ, ОДИН ИЗ РОДИТЕЛЕЙ, ЛИБО ЕДИНСТВЕННЫЙ РОДИТЕЛЬ КОТОРЫХ ИМЕЕТ ГРАЖДАНСТВО РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ"...

3. Паспорт и копия паспорта родителя, имеющего гражданство Российской Федерации, а также копия американского документа, дающего право на постоянное проживание в США, вместе с его переводом на русский язык в печатном виде. ...

If you go through the process of giving up your Russian citizneship it will be impossibile to produce the documents showing you are a Russian citizenship when you attempt to register your newly born child in the US with a Russian consulate in the hope having the child acquire Russian citizenship.

Russia is such a country if you attempt to acquire citizenship in a simplified matter through a parent who is a Russian citizen and you are not and you are over 18.

"ПРИЕМ В ГРАЖДАНСТВО РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ В УПРОЩЕННОМ ПОРЯДКЕ

Иностранные граждане также представляют документ полномочного органа иностранного государства, подтверждающий обращение заявителя об отказе от имеющегося иного гражданства в порядке, предусмотренном законодательством данного государства, либо невозможность отказа от иного гражданства, а также копию данного обращения, заверенную соответствующим полномочным органом иностранного государства."

However, there does not see to be such a requirement for acquiring Russian citizenship in a general matter:

"BY NATURALIZATION: Russian Federation citizenship may be acquired upon fulfillment of the following conditions: Be at least 18 years old. Have permanent residence for a total of five years, or three years of continuous residence immediately prior to filing an application: For refugees recognized as such by the Russian Federation, the time periods shall be halved."

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws...FEDERATION.html

As far as selling the flat, once you are gone it is a great idea for the reasons you mentioned below:

She pretty much knows that if K-1 goes through she will have to sell the flat, because she could never keep an eye on it, or trust anybody for a long period of time,All her last renters had to pay was utilities and when she visited last summer, they had jumpered the electric around the meter, previous renters stole the hot water heater in bathroom and parts of the one in the kitchen, just crazy.
That's the Russian behavior I'm more familiar with.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
In fact, to specifically get rid of russian citizenship will cost you $500, some pain in filing russian forms, and a year of wait. I'm speaking out of personal experience and experience of thousands of other people.
That's certainly true:

"ВЫХОД ИЗ ГРАЖДАНСТВА РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ

В соответствии с Федеральным законом «О гражданстве Российской Федерации», вступившим в силу 1 июля 2002 года, граждане Российской Федерации, проживающие на территории иностранного государства, могут оформить выход из гражданства Российской Федерации через дипломатическое представительство или консульское учреждение Российской Федерации. Для этого представляются следующие документы:

1. Заявление в двух экземплярах (бланк заявления можно получить в Генконсульстве). Заполнению в заявлении подлежат все графы. Заявление составляется на русском языке. Бланк заявления заполняется от руки или с использованием технических средств (пишущих машинок, компьютеров). При заполнении бланка заявления не допускается использование сокращений и аббревиатур, а также внесение исправлений. Ответы на содержащиеся в бланке заявления вопросы должны быть исчерпывающими. Текст заявления, выполненный от руки, должен быть разборчивым;

2. Документ, удостоверяющий российское гражданство заявителя (действительный российский загранпаспорт);

3. Три фотографии паспортного размера (3х4 см);

4. Документ, дающий право на проживание в США (грин-карта, сертификат о натурализации, паспорт США и пр.), а также его копию и перевод на русский язык в печатном виде.

5. Документ о снятии с регистрационного учета по месту жительства в Российской Федерации (в случае отсутствия этих данных в паспорте заявителя);

6. Документ полномочного органа иностранного государства о наличии у заявителя иного гражданства или подтверждение возможности предоставления заявителю иного гражданства в случае его выхода из гражданства Российской Федерации;

7. Документ налогового органа Российской Федерации об отсутствии задолженности по уплате налогов.

Для получения вышеназванного документа физическим лицом, желающим выйти из гражданства Российской Федерации, в налоговый орган вместе с обращением представляются документы, подтверждающие последнее место жительства данного физического лица на территории Российской Федерации (РСФСР) по месту нахождения соответствующего налогового органа.

Такими документами могут являться паспорт или документ, его заменяющий; в случае изменения фамилии (имени, отчества) – документ, подтверждающий в соответствии с законодательством Российской Федерации изменение фамилии (имени, отчества).

Налоговые органы в десятидневный срок рассматривают представленные заявителем документы и принимают решение о выдаче справки. Справки выдаются на бланке налогового органа и содержат следующие обязательные реквизиты:

дата и номер справки,

фамилия, имя, отчество должностного лица и наименование налогового органа, выдавшего справку.

Справка об отсутствии задолженности по уплате налогов подписывается руководителем (его заместителем) налогового органа и заверяется гербовой печатью налогового органа.

При выявлении факта наличия задолженности по уплате налогов, либо непредставления заявителем документов, необходимых для выдачи справки об отсутствии задолженности по уплате налогов, налоговый орган письменно извещает заявителя о невозможности выдачи данной справки с указанием причины отказа.

Заявления граждан Российской Федерации, не имевших места жительства на территории Российской Федерации (РСФСР), с приложением соответствующих документов направляются в Управление международных налоговых отношений МНС России по адресу: 127381, Москва, ул. Неглинная, д. 23.

Справка об отсутствии задолженности по уплате налогов, выдаваемая Управлением международных налоговых отношений МНС России, подписывается уполномоченным должностным лицом МНС России и заверяется печатью Управления международных налоговых отношений МНС России;

8. Оплата консульского сбора в сумме 550 долларов в форме «money order» (400 долларов - оформление выхода из российского гражданства, 150 долларов - выдача справки об отсутствии российского гражданства)

9. При положительном решении вопроса о выходе заявителя из российского гражданства ему выдается справка о прекращении гражданства Российской Федерации. Заявитель также должен сдать в Генконсульство загранпаспорт гражданина Российской Федерации, внутренний паспорт гражданина Российской Федерации и вкладыш в свидетельство в свидетельство о рождении (при его наличии)..

Заявление подается заявителем лично. В случае, если заявитель не может лично подать заявление в связи с обстоятельствами, имеющими исключительный характер и подтвержденными документально, заявление и необходимые документы могут переданы для рассмотрения через другое лицо, либо направлены по почте. В этом случае подлинность подписи лица, подписавшего заявление, и соответствие копии документа, удостоверяющего личность, его подлиннику удостоверяются нотариальными записями с последующим проставлением на них Апостиля.

Все представляемые вместе с заявлением документы, выполненные не на русском языке, подлежат переводу на русский язык.

Заявление считается принятым к рассмотрению со дня подачи заявителем всех необходимых и надлежащим образом оформленных документов с личной подписью заявителя и датой.

Срок рассмотрения заявлений и принятие по ним решений осуществляется в срок до шести месяцев со дня подачи заявления и представления всех необходимых документов, оформленных надлежащим образом.

Выход из гражданства Российской Федерации не допускается, если гражданин Российской Федерации:

- имеет не выполненное перед Российской Федерацией обязательство, установленное федеральным законом;

- привлечен компетентными органами Российской Федерации в качестве обвиняемого по уголовному делу, либо в отношении него имеется вступивший в законную силу и подлежащий исполнению обвинительный приговор суда;

- не имеет иного гражданства и гарантий его приобретения.

"

Pretty impressive list of things to do. Getting rid of Russian citizenship is probably harder and more expensive than acquiring it!

Edited by Satellite

Timeline
MDR,

russian citizenship never expires. that's first. assuming american citizenship does not by any means prevents anybody from keeping russian citizenship too. that's second.

another thing is that US will not recognize it but who cares... it's a grey area in americal law. one can leave with this his whole life and never notice this greyness...

in fact, to specifically get rid of russian citizenship will cost you $500, some pain in filing russian forms, and a year of wait.

i'm speaking out of personal experience and experience of thousands of other people.

obender

Wow, Satellite, I was just about to send this post when I noticed your reply,

thanks, It may take a while to digest, but it is copy and pastable to Natasha :yes:

Thanks obender,

That is good information to know,

Well I am sorry, It seems i have asked for the wrong information,

I just talked to her and she said, "that is good you asked about citizenship,

but what I wanted to know was registration",

From what I gather of this conversation,

she is registered in Tver

and if she was to move to Moscow for example she would have to register there

So, she is thinking if she moves to U.S she will have to unregister in Tver thus losing her flat.

But looks to me to just do nothing and leave this a grey area also like citizenship.

But we also both agree she should sell it before there is nothing left.

and then there is her 15 year old son who collects about $ 60 USD in pension benefits from his Fathers retirement until he is 18.

she knows he will lose this also not that it is "big money",but it does help.

I have told her we will try to get by without it.

she is so sweet to worry we could use the money.

Thanks again for all the replys, Mike

Dec 182006 -NOA1

Feb 28 2007 -touched

Mar 30 2007 - NOA2

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

And a good friend of mine, a Russian-American businessman, obtained US Citizenship a couple years ago and then, after that, renewed his Russian passport.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

MDR,

registration in russia remains for as long as you want. moving here, getting green card or us citizenship changes nothing. only when person living here decides to register here with russian consulate this person surrenders the registration in russia (that's rarely done nowdays and usually is a consequence of personal circumstances or desire to slightly easier renew russian pasport).

obender

Timeline
MDR,

registration in russia remains for as long as you want. moving here, getting green card or us citizenship changes nothing. only when person living here decides to register here with russian consulate this person surrenders the registration in russia (that's rarely done nowdays and usually is a consequence of personal circumstances or desire to slightly easier renew russian pasport).

obender

Thanks obender, you've been a big help

much appreaciated

and thanks to others also.

Mike

Dec 182006 -NOA1

Feb 28 2007 -touched

Mar 30 2007 - NOA2

My ex-wife has dual citizenship of Russia and the United States. She has both a valid Russian and American passport.

She travels back and forth from Russia, and never needs a visa either way! When she goes through passport control in Moscow, she shows them her Russian passport. When she goes through passport control in America, she shows the American passport.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
She is leaving for Tver at end of the month for police report,

and she thinks she will try to sell it now.

I think this might be a good idea. The prices are rather high there now, so it really does not matter what kind of appartment she owns, she can probably sell it for what would be a decent downpayment here.

For the most part, Russia could care less what someone's doing here. If she's stamped one way in her Russian passport, that's how they're going to recognize her. Whether or not she shows them an American green card has nothing to do with it, on their end. (Other than maybe trying to get some money out of her.)

If she has no one to trust the flat to, selling it before she leaves would be a good idea. If she can find someone to care for it, she could keep it and the status of her citizenship here or there would have little bearing on the legality of ownership. Her location would be a big factor though!

Can her son set up a bank account to have the pension automatically deposited each month? He could then transfer the funds to an international bank or use a credit card/ATM card to withdraw them here in the States. Or, in true Russian fashion, he could "sell" the payments to someone for cash, and then divert the checks or payments to that person for the remainder of the time he'd be paid. Kind of like a cash-option on an annuity, except the mafia would probably be involved. Or, maybe even someone like an uncle or grandmother.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.