Fandango

Really Dumb questions you've been asked about the UK

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My friend who is Canadian came over to England, I took her to the usual places including London, in some of the walkways there are murals of the Kings and Queens of England, in one was King Charles and his mistress Nell Qinn ( I know probably wrong spelling) anyway my friend ask my why she was his favourite mistress and I shouted out really loud BECAUSE SHE GAVE GOOD HEAD.........well we fell about in hysterics and a fella who was also looking at the murals well his mouth fell open and he started to laugh as well. It was my way of getting her back for making me ask a policeman if she could have her photo taken with him, to be fair he was a great sport and agreed to the mini photo session.

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of english accents in the US.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6470095.stm

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

The comments on the bbc america link are THE BEST!!!!!

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

Speaking of english accents in the US.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6470095.stm

Interesting read. I know people like hearing Gary speak and he has learned to slow down his speech so they can understand him better. Even tho he was once asked if he was Dutch :blink: Didn't know N. Irish and Dutch sounded the same :lol:

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Interesting read. I know people like hearing Gary speak and he has learned to slow down his speech so they can understand him better. Even tho he was once asked if he was Dutch :blink: Didn't know N. Irish and Dutch sounded the same :lol:

:blink: Neither did I - that's funny!!

As for the 'slowing down speech' thing, I'm always being told I talk really fast (too fast) and must definitely learn to modify my babbling speed if anyone's ever going to understand me once I get over there...

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

:blink: Neither did I - that's funny!!

As for the 'slowing down speech' thing, I'm always being told I talk really fast (too fast) and must definitely learn to modify my babbling speed if anyone's ever going to understand me once I get over there...

You'll probably have to explain certain phrases to people as well. Gary doesnt use Ulster talk much outside the house but at home hes always telling me to catch myself on :lol:

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Americans are dumb and Brits are smart - FACT!

I've enjoyed this thread a lot. However comments like that are irresponsible. Chalk up one more idiot.

weirdest question asked to me about Britian would be " Do they go camping " Weird?

Weirdest Question asked to me about Americans " Do we all have large helmets? " in reference to the genital region ;)

I think they must have been refering to a lot of americans being circumcised.

To be honest your the idiot (hey, i'm not usually in for name calling but you started it. So there :P ) for not seeing a blatant piss take when its right in front of you. This thread was getting out of control with people taking stuff too seriously when no offense was intended. My comments where purely aimed at mocking people like you who took it seriously in any way.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Timeline
Ok when i was in Orlando with my fiancee she said to me about Brits wearing socks and sandals, i said "what you talking about, its an American thing, not an English thing" so we had a bet the first to 10 on who wears socks and sandals, i won...more Americans wear socks with sandals...she was shocked

I always thought it was the German Tourists who did this! :blush:

No they are the one's that put their towels on all the sunbeds cos they rise earlier than the Brits who have usually been out on an all night drinking binge....lol

LOL> Anyone remember this ad.

K-1 Visa Journey

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

Americans are dumb and Brits are smart - FACT!

I've enjoyed this thread a lot. However comments like that are irresponsible. Chalk up one more idiot.

weirdest question asked to me about Britian would be " Do they go camping " Weird?

Weirdest Question asked to me about Americans " Do we all have large helmets? " in reference to the genital region ;)

I think they must have been refering to a lot of americans being circumcised.

To be honest your the idiot (hey, i'm not usually in for name calling but you started it. So there :P ) for not seeing a blatant piss take when its right in front of you. This thread was getting out of control with people taking stuff too seriously when no offense was intended. My comments where purely aimed at mocking people like you who took it seriously in any way.

What you said was exactly my point. A comment like that just makes those people more upset. Seems to have worked on you perfectly. :P

and actually you started it

08/18/02 We meet

09/11/06 We get Engaged

10/21/06 Mailed I-129F & Documents to NSC

10/23/06 Discovered VJ Forum

11/03/06 K-1 NOA1

01/17/07 K-1 NOA2

03/12/07 Medical

04/13/07 Interview Sucess!

04/17/07 Visa Delivered

04/26/07 POE Minneapolis - 5 Stars !

06/02/07 Wedding

08/17/07 AOS Filed

11/19/07 Biometrics

12/17/07 Transferred to CSC

01/24/08 E-mail stating 2 Year Green Card production ordered.

01/04/10 Filed I-751

02/05/10 Biometrics

02/18/10 Ten Year Green Card Production ordered

02/23/10 10 Year Green Card Arrives in Mail!

899646.gif

Please excuse me for jumping into this thread but it was very tempting to read as my fiance had lived in Birmingham for over 6 years before he returned to his native country of Jamaica last year. He speaks more with an English accent rather than a Jamaican accent. I just wanted to say that I am a major in British history and know more about the UK than I do about the US in terms of politics and cultural history. I will admit that I enjoy hearing accents from England, Scotland, and Ireland and one day I would very much like to see all three places! I have a couple of friends who are from England and it is always great to learn more about England. I may be ignorant on some things but I have much respect for the UK and its people! :D

**'s sake, I'm an American...I wouldn't start a thread to specifically bag on Americans. It was meant in lighthearted fun, nothing more nothing less. No pizzing contests of 'which country is better/has less ignorant people' and frankly, anyone who knows me here should know I'm VERY proud of my country and wouldn't start an anti-American people thread.

In FACT....both those questions I opened this thread with were both asked by NON AMERICANS. And like flutter says...even if they were asked by Americans...they're funny questions. Why can't we just have a fcuking laugh?

I am so ####### i n g sick of every thread turning into b u l l s h i t. I realize I am very cranky tonight and I am quite overworked, but this is just annoying the ####### outta me. This thread wasn't meant to offend anyone or have anyone get their panties in a wad. And once again, IT WAS NOT MEANT TO BAG ON AMERICANS. I happen to be one of them. That would be stupid, wouldn't it?

Edited by LisaD

Its all harmless fun!! I was stopped in the street by two people who asked if there was a cafe or bar nearby where they could smoke. I told them the pub across the road had a smoking bar and they could also get great food there. One of them says "oh you speak English?", I said yes and he said "oh I thought you were from Norway". I told them I was from London and they tell me they have friends in Wales and then go about trying to remember their address.....#######???!!

Timeline
That would be stupid, wouldn't it?

:lol: I thought that was the point of the original thread. ;)

K-1 Visa Journey

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
**'s sake, I'm an American...I wouldn't start a thread to specifically bag on Americans. It was meant in lighthearted fun, nothing more nothing less. No pizzing contests of 'which country is better/has less ignorant people' and frankly, anyone who knows me here should know I'm VERY proud of my country and wouldn't start an anti-American people thread.

In FACT....both those questions I opened this thread with were both asked by NON AMERICANS. And like flutter says...even if they were asked by Americans...they're funny questions. Why can't we just have a fcuking laugh?

I am so ####### i n g sick of every thread turning into b u l l s h i t. I realize I am very cranky tonight and I am quite overworked, but this is just annoying the ####### outta me. This thread wasn't meant to offend anyone or have anyone get their panties in a wad. And once again, IT WAS NOT MEANT TO BAG ON AMERICANS. I happen to be one of them. That would be stupid, wouldn't it?

Personally Lisa I think it's a great idea for a thread, I've not had many dumb questions asked of me but I am reading what others post.

Those people who have a problem just lack your great sense of humour.

Maybe if they feel the need to balance the books they can go open their own thread about the dumb questions foreign fianc(e)es/ spouses ask about America. I have asked enough of those myself. I would probably enjoy a thread like that just as much and have some of my own ignorance to contribute. :D

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

LOL> Anyone remember this ad.

YES!!! I remeber this!!!! LOL

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.