GDias1992

Travel in the USA after VISA B1 (for internship purposes) expires

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Portugal
Timeline

The uscis website say they suggest people do it at least 45 days before I-94 expires. Is it mandatory or just a suggestion? If not mandatory, 2/3 weeks before I-94 expires, should be a good time to submit extension/change of status? Agree? So my time margin for the trip would be good...

In that case i think i have my problem solved! :) :) Just have to submit papers before I-94 expires, and meanwhile i can start planning my trip (booking flights etc...), right?

Filed: Timeline

You are trying to "game" the system by delaying your extension request until there is no chance it will be processed in time to prevent you from doing what you want to do. I hope this doesn't backfire on you if you ever have any intention of using the Visa Waiver program or apply for another visa to the US.

US immgration already went beyond the norm for you by granting you more time than the usually-authorized maximum of 6 months and now you are trying to take advantage of the system. They will not look favorably upon it if they figure out what you are doing -- which they may be able to do when you start planning a trip past the time you are authorized to be here and there is no extension on file.

Why not file for the extension that you know you want right now and let it be processed? You may not get an extension, but it won't possibly affect your future US travel plans. At 23, you have no idea what might bring you back to the US in your future.

Edited by jan22

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Your authorized stay expires on Aug 22. Plan to leave before that.

It does not make much sense for you to file anything to just try and stay for 2/3 weeks. Extensions in B's are usually granted in periods of six months. I don't think it's worth it to try since it might take long to process and you could end up overstaying. If you do, that would bring you trouble in the future if you attempt to get another type of visa. Or even immigrate. Like you say, at 23 you never know what the future brings.

I would take up on the advice of visiting Canada as it is beautiful in the summer months. If you don't need a visa for that country, why not go there and leave for Europe from there instead?

UnaMexicana

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

I don't think it's worth it to try since it might take long to process and you could end up overstaying.

That doesn't make sense. How can you "end up overstaying" if "it might take long to process"? The fact that "it might take long to process" is precisely why he isn't likely to overstay -- it won't have been denied by the time he leaves.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

guys, and if i fly to other country that is not mexico or canada?

My visa i-94 stamp ends Aug 22, and so if i fly to Porto Rico, or Nicaragua, or other country in that area, in that date (Aug 22nd), and come back 1 or 2 days later, will I get a tourist visa when coming back to the USA?

I say this, because, with those flight I can get much cheaper prices rather than flying back to Europe and coming back...

Thanks.

Edited by GDias1992

guys, and if i fly to other country that is not mexico or canada?

My visa i-94 stamp ends Aug 22, and so if i fly to Porto Rico, or Nicaragua, or other country in that area, in that date (Aug 22nd), and come back 1 or 2 days later, will I get a tourist visa when coming back to the USA?

I say this, because, with those flight I can get much cheaper prices rather than flying back to Europe and coming back...

Thanks.

Be prepared to be denied entry after only being out of the USA for a few days, then having to buy a very expensive last minute ticket back home.

The uscis website say they suggest people do it at least 45 days before I-94 expires. Is it mandatory or just a suggestion? If not mandatory, 2/3 weeks before I-94 expires, should be a good time to submit extension/change of status? Agree? So my time margin for the trip would be good...

In that case i think i have my problem solved! :) :) Just have to submit papers before I-94 expires, and meanwhile i can start planning my trip (booking flights etc...), right?

As long as USCIS officially receives it before your I-94 expires, it is properly filed.

Timeline

How do I know that USCIS receives it? How long does it take?

And whats the possibility of the application date and the answer date to be lower than 1 month? How long do they usually take to answer?

How do I know that USCIS receives it? How long does it take?

And whats the possibility of the application date and the answer date to be lower than 1 month? How long do they usually take to answer?

It shouldn't take more than a day or two after the mail gets there. But you can only be sure after receiving the receipt. You can file it with G-1145 to receive an electronic notification sooner.

The official processing times listed for every service center seem to be around 3-4 months. But I have heard of people having it take 5 or 6 months. I don't think it's possible for it to take 1 month, unless you forgot to send some materials or something.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.