GDias1992

Travel in the USA after VISA B1 (for internship purposes) expires

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Portugal
Timeline
I am currently doing a 6 Months nonpaid internship in Michigan. I am being sponsored by my countrys Government, so the funds I get are in Euros, since I come from Europe. I arrived in the US February 11th 2016 and I have a B1 VISA, which expires August 22nd 16' and is only valid for my Internship. My internship ends Friday August 19th 16'. I have flight back to Europe scheduled for August 21st. During my internship I am not allowed to take vacations. Since I am already in the USA, I want to take the opportunity to travel around the USA right after my Internship ends, for about 2/3 weeks. All costs would be supported by me, including the change of the flight back to Europe. Since my Visa expires August 22nd, is there any legal possible way that I can either extend or get a tourist VISA, in order to travel for those 2/3 weeks after my internship, knowing my VISA expires 3 days after my internship ends?
What are your suggestions? What can I do?
Thanks.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
I am currently doing a 6 Months nonpaid internship in Michigan. I am being sponsored by my countrys Government, so the funds I get are in Euros, since I come from Europe. I arrived in the US February 11th 2016 and I have a B1 VISA, which expires August 22nd 16' and is only valid for my Internship. My internship ends Friday August 19th 16'. I have flight back to Europe scheduled for August 21st. During my internship I am not allowed to take vacations. Since I am already in the USA, I want to take the opportunity to travel around the USA right after my Internship ends, for about 2/3 weeks. All costs would be supported by me, including the change of the flight back to Europe. Since my Visa expires August 22nd, is there any legal possible way that I can either extend or get a tourist VISA, in order to travel for those 2/3 weeks after my internship, knowing my VISA expires 3 days after my internship ends?
Thanks.

Yeah, whats the last day on your I-94? Visa can expire on the day after you enter the US but the date on I-94 matters. Anyway, max stay on B1 or B2 is only 6 months and you have to file for an extension much before and I think they only grant extension for something important like bad health etc and not for sight seeing. You can try for extension but if denied, you have just a day or two to leave and that can be stressful. According to me, the best thing to do is just leave and come back later.

Edited by MadeinIndia

Timeline

Sorry I forgot to say! With I-94 you guys mean the date the officer posted on my passport? I have 22 August 2016. When I said my visa expires Aug 22nd, that's what I wanted to say.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks.

your 6 months Visa end August 22nd, make sure you leave the USA before August 22nd if you don't want any problems if you ever decide to come back to the USA. You can visit Canada if you want, Montreal and Toronto are amazing in the summer.

Timeline

Isnt there a way to get a tourist visa? I have to go back to Europe, but before I would really like to travel inside the USA (2/3 weeks). And if i go for an extension? I am willing to...

Filed: Timeline

Sorry I forgot to say! With I-94 you guys mean the date the officer posted on my passport? I have 22 August 2016. When I said my visa expires Aug 22nd, that's what I wanted to say.

I-94 is electronic nowadays. You can get it here. The officer often also writes the date on the entry stamp, but it's not always right.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So you were admitted for more than 6 months on a B?

Agree you need to leave before the I94 date.

So you were admitted for more than 6 months on a B?

Agree you need to leave before the I94 date.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I came in Feb 11th, i-94 says Aug 22. So a bit more than 6 Months. What about visa extension? There is a grace period at the time i submit the extension (pending aproval)...i really just want to stay more 2/3 weeks. Then i have to go back to my country...

Edited by GDias1992

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is it a B1/2?

Do you any plans to come back to the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

My visa is a B1, yes! I dont have any plans to come back to the USA, but in life you never know...I am only 23 years old. What do you have to say about that, and the conversation above? thank you very much guys...still pursuing my goal...will it be possible?

You could file for a Change of Status to B2 status before your I-94 expires (usually people in B1 don't need to do a Change of Status to B2 to do tourism during their period of stay, but you need it beyond your period of stay), and you are authorized to stay in the US while it is pending. It takes several months to process the applications nowadays so if will leave in a few weeks after applying, so you are almost guaranteed to not have it denied by the time you leave. The downside is it costs several hundred dollars.

Timeline

That sounds a awesome idea! How long before I-94 expires, do you suggest i submit papers for extension/change status to B2 (with the smallest chance of being denied and having to return to europe during my 2/3 weeks trip)?? I did some research and the costs/fees you were talking about, are about 290 USD, right?

Do you think that, while being pendent, and after my I-94 expires, I am able to fly around the US, without any problem?

Thanks newacct

That sounds a awesome idea! How long before I-94 expires, do you suggest i submit papers for extension/change status to B2 (with the smallest chance of being denied and having to return to europe during my 2/3 weeks trip)?? I did some research and the costs/fees you were talking about, are about 290 USD, right?

I wouldn't cut it too close. They need to receive the application and officially mark it as received before the I-94 expires. You have a lot of time to spare; it often takes like 3-5 months.

Do you think that, while being pendent, and after my I-94 expires, I am able to fly around the US, without any problem?

Absolutely. Make sure to bring your I-539 receipt just in case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.