kandikandi

Pets Travelling on K1 Visa - a few questions

9 posts in this topic

Hi fellow pet parents,

I am applying for the K1 visa to join my US fiance in Houston. We are currently awaiting our NOA2, but I'm trying to start the process on my end to get my doggy ready. I plan on taking her with me when I go to Houston on the K1, whenever its approved - hopefully sooner than later!

I am familiar with the vaccination and other requirements for her to travel, but I have a few questions for those who may have done this before on the K1:

1) Is it risky to take my doggy on my K1 flight - would having her when I land complicate the POE process for me? Should she be sent beforehand or should she be sent to me in Houston after I've gotten there? Is there a recommended way to handle this?

2) I am a little unclear about what they do when pets land - I think there should be a vet at the airport to check the paperwork, examine them and clear them? Also, with all the requirements met, I would like to be sure that no quarantine is necessary and I can take my dog home with me. (I ask because in Trinidad, quarantine seems to be mandatory when pets land, regardless of if all of their vaccination requirements are met or not. I hope this is not the case in the US).

3) I understand that at the POE when you arrive on K1, it takes quite a while before exiting the terminal because they have to basically question you a little first and it can take 1-2 hours to wait to be seen by the authorities. This alone makes me nervous for my frightened doggy waiting unclaimed. United Airlines seems to have a good PetSmart program...I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. At this point I am contemplating having my fiance come to Trinidad before the K1 trip to accompany us back to Houston, just so he could perhaps move ahead of me when we land to collect the doggy and keep her til I get out of the terminal.

As a pet parent this entire thing is so scary - Im worried enough about my own process at POE so I would love to be put at ease about my pet's process at least! The flight over will be scary enough for her (and she can get skittish) so I am really trying to make the crossover as easy for us as possible. I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has experience bringing their pets over to the US on their K1 flight. Thanks!!

03/11/16 - Engaged!

09/27/16 – Interview Date – Approved

10/13/16 – POE Houston

12/22/16 - HAPPILY MARRIED!!!!

01/09/17 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

01/23/17 - NOA1 texts and emails received

01/27/17 - NOA1 hardcopies received 

02/11/17 - Biometrics appointment letter received

02/21/17 - Biometrics appointment

04/17/17 - EAD status changed to New Card Being Produced

04/21/17 - NOA2 hardcopies for EAD and AP received 

04/26/17 - EAD/AP combo card received

05/26/17 - RFE Received (I-485)

06/12/17 - RFE Response Received at Houston Field office

06/22/17 - I-485 approved, Card being produced

06/29/17 - Hardcopy I-485  approval notice received

07/01/17 - Greencard in hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Im taking 2 dogs and i am preparing eversince i met my fiance...and now we are close. ..to flying out...i researched a lot a lot and once i even contemplsted on taking a charter...its crazy to be a pet parent...here is my research

Neuter or spay is must unless u want to pay high licences fees in usa

Microchip (must for india not for usa) but is helpful

Rabies shot unless u are travelling from rabies free country

Screw worm treatment potty test reports to prove that the dog is worm free

Health certificate from licensed vet

Noc from india quarntine office

Updated health record and vaccination card

Flying luftansa..its very expensive but they are the best in dog care

Crate train dogs two months in advance. .

I'm also curious about the questions u have asked but i have no idea on how n wjat happens st poe..

Im travelling in same flight as my gogs because thats cheaper and i feel better that way...

It needs a lot of calls reading and research. .all in all effort to do this but it's better than..leaving them behind

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

There is no quarntine in usa..usa is the best Country to get dog. .one day quarntine if dog looks sick

Im curious to know what will happen when we reach seattle airport. .how and when my dogs arrive...if anyone knows please let us know

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Working & Traveling During US Immigration - topic is traveling with pets ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1) Is it risky to take my doggy on my K1 flight - would having her when I land complicate the POE process for me?

No

Should she be sent beforehand or should she be sent to me in Houston after I've gotten there? Is there a recommended way to handle this?

My wife brought her dog when she first came over. Last year she brought back two puppies.

2) I am a little unclear about what they do when pets land - I think there should be a vet at the airport to check the paperwork, examine them and clear them? Also, with all the requirements met, I would like to be sure that no quarantine is necessary and I can take my dog home with me. (I ask because in Trinidad, quarantine seems to be mandatory when pets land, regardless of if all of their vaccination requirements are met or not. I hope this is not the case in the US).

They are "quarantined" at your US residence for 30 days. During this time you should have them examined by a local vet.

3) I understand that at the POE when you arrive on K1, it takes quite a while before exiting the terminal because they have to basically question you a little first and it can take 1-2 hours to wait to be seen by the authorities. This alone makes me nervous for my frightened doggy waiting unclaimed. United Airlines seems to have a good PetSmart program...I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

My wife travelled from Russia to the US and the overall time was 15 hours. I think they can make the trip from your country also.

At this point I am contemplating having my fiance come to Trinidad before the K1 trip to accompany us back to Houston, just so he could perhaps move ahead of me when we land to collect the doggy and keep her til I get out of the terminal.

Either or.

As a pet parent this entire thing is so scary - Im worried enough about my own process at POE so I would love to be put at ease about my pet's process at least! The flight over will be scary enough for her (and she can get skittish) so I am really trying to make the crossover as easy for us as possible. I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has experience bringing their pets over to the US on their K1 flight. Thanks!!

Many airlines will not ship certain dogs in the cargo hold. Many have weight/size restriction on what can be brought on board as carry on. Many will not ship in certain weather (hot months).

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Thank you baron555!

The trip from Trinidad to Houston is 5.5 hours nonstop direct on United Airlines. Wow @ 15 hrs for your wife's dogs....if they were okay then my girl should be too.

I've already contacted United and they are fine with shipping her in the cargo hold. She is a small dog but not small enough to fit under a plane seat (one of their requirements) so into cargo she goes.

Thanks for your responses!!! If anyone else has any specific experience with United Airlines PetSmart please let me know!

03/11/16 - Engaged!

09/27/16 – Interview Date – Approved

10/13/16 – POE Houston

12/22/16 - HAPPILY MARRIED!!!!

01/09/17 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

01/23/17 - NOA1 texts and emails received

01/27/17 - NOA1 hardcopies received 

02/11/17 - Biometrics appointment letter received

02/21/17 - Biometrics appointment

04/17/17 - EAD status changed to New Card Being Produced

04/21/17 - NOA2 hardcopies for EAD and AP received 

04/26/17 - EAD/AP combo card received

05/26/17 - RFE Received (I-485)

06/12/17 - RFE Response Received at Houston Field office

06/22/17 - I-485 approved, Card being produced

06/29/17 - Hardcopy I-485  approval notice received

07/01/17 - Greencard in hand

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This thread is 19 months old, and there might be newer ones to consult.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.