WaterLily

How to become citizen for a 70 yr woman who doesnt speak english?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

where she been before arrived into US for 55 years can she speak other language like indian ... and why does she needs an american citizenship at the age of 75!!!!

She can speak just few words in hindi,thats about it. Indian govt has given a land on lease to the Tibetan refugees, where they all live in one colony. My Aunt has lived inside the colony till she moved here.

The issue is not her limited knowledge of language, but her limited knowledge of reading and writing? She keeps failing the exam because she may not be able to comprehend the material.

OP,

At her age maybe it is best she remains an LPR. A lot of people migrate elderly and do not understand the difficulty of them to adjust.

I previously inquired about if she can comprehend the information. If so, then teach her the civil exam information until she is knowledgeable of the content. During the exam an interpreter will interpret the questions for her word for word.

She will not be sent back because she is not a citizen. She can continue living in the US as an LPR. She can even travel using her GC. The point is if it is a struggle for her to take the exam then maybe you can just skip it altogether.

Reading material, someone has to translate it for her in Tibetan for her to understand it.We will try using an interpreter if that doesn't help then she will continue living as an LPR for the rest of her life. Thanks

Who cares why? About 20% of naturalized citizens are aged 55 or over, 9% are 65 or over at the time they were naturalized. She is still young compared to this new citizen https://www.dhs.gov/blog/2015/08/24/centenarian-and-new-us-citizen .

A reason could very well be being able to travel back home country for long months without risking residency or maybe now that she has the time she wants to travel the world without having to deal with tourist visas or maybe she wants to vote in the upcoming election. Who cares why?

You are partially true. She needs US passport for her to travel out of the country. But not for long stay. A month or two at the most.

Thank you for sharing the link. My Aunt is very grateful for all that USA has done for her son and for herself.

I saw someone in a very similar situation get citizenship for the welfare, which isn't available to all LPRs in every state.....

This is interesting. She does have health insurance and by God's grace she is in a great health because of all the manual labour she used to do. She eats well and exercises.For her age shes quite healthy.

I am sorry if my question has upset you so much but i dont appreciate the tone in your message. You dont have to be rude and ask why is she here if she cant speak English. Who are you to question?

You do not understand her situation and what shes gone through. I am pretty sure the world you and she have lived, are like the sky and the ground.I know how frustrating it is and how much of a struggle it is for a person born with no country as your own. Been tagged a REFUGEE wherever you go. Her life has been a struggle for years. They used to live in a village in India,close to a forest,where there is still no proper access to drinking water. People there go to nearby ponds to fetch water and carry water cans on their back for daily use. About electricity, the govt there supply electricity only for 5-6 hours daily and it depends on when they want to cut if off. They obviously pay the bills.There are times when you have no electricity for a week continuously. There are no proper health facilities there and access is limited. Many people have died because they couldn't reach the hospital on time, lot of people have died due to snake bites and killed by elephants too,when they come of the forest to look for food into the village, some of them could have been saved if they can reach the hospital on time. Since they are refugees there,their concerns are not a priority to the govt. Please note this doesn't mean that we are not thankful to the Indian govt for at least giving us a shelter to live.In a situation like this, my cousin could never think about leaving my Aunt back where she came from.
We have tried it before, for someone who can only talk in 1 language and not know how to read and write in any languages at all, how difficult it would be for that person to learn at that age. You have no idea. how frustrating it is for her , we have seen it. She doesn't know the language but it doesn't mean that she doesn't know a thing about American history and politics. She understands it when you tell her as a story. But she is very bad in pronouncing English words, we dont get it so i doubt the non Tibetans would understand her, That is why we are looking for an interpreter so that she can at least give it a try.If that doesn't help then obviously we cant do much.
Going by your message,it sounds like since she cant speak English it would be better for my cousin to send my Aunt back to where she came from. Even though her only child, is here,her son. But sorry in our culture, we don't give up on our parents when they are old and need to be looked after.

#crushedit!

Edited by lmihler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Some people are good at languages, sadly I am not.

Can not imagine being anywhere for that long and not picking up the basics, obviously in my case speaking English was an advantage but I must have added 100 words to my vocabulary that are particular to American.

Even a weekend overseas trip I would always try to get a few words in my head.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

A lot of judgment flying both ways, really.

Really? How exactly do you figure?

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

She's been here 15 years and knows only one or two English words? So much for assimilation. This is exactly what upsets Americans, integrated immigrants, and politicians - the failure to assimilate. Learn our language - or at least try. She was 55 when she came here - that's not old. And she can't speak a lick of English. Why is she here? Obviously not interested in becoming American, but wants to be a citizen. I can't imagine trying to become a citizen of another country without being able to speak more than one or two words of the host country. The USA citizenship test will soon be in English only.

There is no official language of the United States. She's not required to learn anything.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A lot of judgment flying both ways, really.

Really? How exactly do you figure?

Yeah, how?

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Judgmental post along with some noncontributing posts removed. Stick to answering the the questions asked.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
She is a Buddhist. I dont know if you are aware of it, there is a place in Bihar,India where Lord Buddha was born, it is a holy place for all the Buddhist.Every year, the monks, nuns and all the spiritual heads including His Holiness Dalai Lama and His Holiness Karmapa, gives teachings and they have month long prayer ceremonies conducted there. As she is getting older, she fears for death and she wants to do more prayers.She also wishes to get blessings from the holy monks in India and this is also like her vacation time for her. Right now, she doesn't have any documents to fly out of the country. She has no passport. Well actually for the Tibetan refugees, they never have any passports. India had issued a document called Identity certificate which Tibetans use as a passport to travel but her Identity certificate expired few years back. India will not renew her document now, since shes been living here for years and i believe they are not interested in taking a refugee back to their country. Not that she is going to live in India. So shes stuck. US passport would help her with her travel.

Ohk! I will pray for her to get her PASSPORT asap.BTW Lord Buddha was born in LUMBINI,NEPAL not in INDIA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.