DarkKiss

MarrIage and Visa Fraud

106 posts in this topic

That's the sad part of immigration. Honest people finish last. However, we are usually the kind of people who know we have to answer for the bad things we do. Anyway, it's amazing that immigration puts lots more effort into over-scrutinizing and dragging their feet on the honest people who file all the right papers (us) and do nothing to stop fraud such as this as well as all of the illegal immigrants living here. I'm sure most people on here have plenty of stories to tell...

Its the lack of funding from congress. Processing petitions and visas are self supporting through fees. Funds to find and deport illegals is totally dependent on what congress decides to give that side of the process. They have long under funded this area, and show no sign of wanting to properly fund it, regardless of the saber rattling about illegal aliens in this country. They never actually put the money where their mouth is when they're trying to get reelected.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Its the lack of funding from congress. Processing petitions and visas are self supporting through fees. Funds to find and deport illegals is totally dependent on what congress decides to give that side of the process. They have long under funded this area, and show no sign of wanting to properly fund it, regardless of the saber rattling about illegal aliens in this country. They never actually put the money where their mouth is when they're trying to get reelected.

It's also a lot more complicated than just sending someone home on a plane as well. Many choose voluntary departure and off they go. However, those here illegally are entitled to due process if they do not choose it. Immigration courts are backed up for years. Then there's the appeals process, things like cancellation of removal etc. Many are released on bond until their day in court to save costs of housing them. The whole system in many ways favours those here illegally. Edited by Transborderwife

It's also a lot more complicated than just sending someone home on a plane as well. Many choose voluntary departure and off they go. However, those here illegally are entitled to due process if they do not choose it. Immigration courts are backed up for years. Then there's the appeals process, things like cancellation of removal etc. Many are released on bond until their day in court to save costs of housing them. The whole system in many ways favours those here illegally.

And those delays are caused by lack of funding. Also lack of funding to track them down and get into the courts affects what can be done. So many people worry about those crossing the border, but half of illegals come in legally. The budget would need to be at least 10 times larger to make a real dent in illegals in the USA.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

My attorney will give me a crash course on the nature of the I-864. I WILL know NOW. Thanks for your input.

Maybe I'm misreading, but from your posts, I'm not sure if you understand exactly what could happen in regards to the 864. It seems that you expect your ex to do something against you to invoke it. He can't sue you or make you support him based on your sponsorship. All your ex can do is apply for welfare (food stamps, housing, $ stipend, etc). Some of that isn't even applicable to 864, but some is. And even then, the US government (in all of its efficiency and prowess) would have to first realize that he is an immigrant being sponsored, and then cross-reference with USCIS as to who his sponsor is, and then make contact with you. That sounds like a lot of work for a lazy (and underpaid) civil service employee who couldn't care any less about his/her job.

My suggestion- Don't waste any more energy, time, and money on this until you have to. Forget meeting with attorney over I-864, that's just a waste of your time and money right now. The chance of the government actually suing you to recover any federal aid he receives are slim to none.

In the very unlikely event that something does happen, you would have plenty of time to deal with it then. There is nothing pro-active you can do to prevent anything from happening, so why both worrying about something that is totally out of your control.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Timeline

Maybe I'm misreading, but from your posts, I'm not sure if you understand exactly what could happen in regards to the 864. It seems that you expect your ex to do something against you to invoke it. He can't sue you or make you support him based on your sponsorship. All your ex can do is apply for welfare (food stamps, housing, $ stipend, etc). Some of that isn't even applicable to 864, but some is. And even then, the US government (in all of its efficiency and prowess) would have to first realize that he is an immigrant being sponsored, and then cross-reference with USCIS as to who his sponsor is, and then make contact with you. That sounds like a lot of work for a lazy (and underpaid) civil service employee who couldn't care any less about his/her job.

My suggestion- Don't waste any more energy, time, and money on this until you have to. Forget meeting with attorney over I-864, that's just a waste of your time and money right now. The chance of the government actually suing you to recover any federal aid he receives are slim to none.

In the very unlikely event that something does happen, you would have plenty of time to deal with it then. There is nothing pro-active you can do to prevent anything from happening, so why both worrying about something that is totally out of your control.

On the contrary, the I-864 can be used to enable the immigrant to be provided for. The immigrant can sue the ex-spouse for the support, if they are not making 125% poverty level.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

On the contrary, the I-864 can be used to enable the immigrant to be provided for. The immigrant can sue the ex-spouse for the support, if they are not making 125% poverty level.

I'm just asking out of curiosity...for the case history/precedent of cases such as that, did the immigrant sue for that during divorce proceedings or well after the divorce had been completed?

My Convoluted Story (see my profile for more details)
Jun 2009 - Met on Facebook
Mar 2010 - Visited Morocco for the first time, got engaged
Dec 30, 2011 - Wedding in Morocco (5th visit)
I-130/CR-1 (first time around)
31 Aug 2012 - Priority Date (Vermont, transferred to NBC)
31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
27Jul 2013 - Broke up/Separation (while waiting for case complete at NVC)
9 Jan 2014 - Filed for divorce in US (never completed)
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
May 2015 - Reconciliation
Nov 2015 - Vacation together in Spain (7th in-person visit with each other)
I-130/IR-1 (second time around)
4 Feb 2016 - Priority Date
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

17 May 2016 - NVC Case Number Assigned

31 May 2016 - Sent AOS/IV package to NVC

5 Jul 2016 - NVC Case Complete

10 Aug 2016 - Medical Exam

25 Aug 2016 - Interview - APPROVED

1 Sep 2016 - Husband picked up his visa

Husband POE'd @ IAD - 5 November

Is there any evidence of this happening? I'm not talking about 1 or 2 cases in some Podunk town in the middle of nowhere that some idiot judge granted.

Timeline

I'm just asking out of curiosity...for the case history/precedent of cases such as that, did the immigrant sue for that during divorce proceedings or well after the divorce had been completed?

No clue. I've just seen it discussed on VJ before with links for proof.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The ones i have seen have been as part of the divorce, involved women with children etc who could not work.

Single male, well why is he not working and what benefits can he get the would invoke the I 864, assuming they could connect the dots.

Not going to happen.,

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My Convoluted Story (see my profile for more details)
Jun 2009 - Met on Facebook
Mar 2010 - Visited Morocco for the first time, got engaged
Dec 30, 2011 - Wedding in Morocco (5th visit)
I-130/CR-1 (first time around)
31 Aug 2012 - Priority Date (Vermont, transferred to NBC)
31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
27Jul 2013 - Broke up/Separation (while waiting for case complete at NVC)
9 Jan 2014 - Filed for divorce in US (never completed)
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
May 2015 - Reconciliation
Nov 2015 - Vacation together in Spain (7th in-person visit with each other)
I-130/IR-1 (second time around)
4 Feb 2016 - Priority Date
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

17 May 2016 - NVC Case Number Assigned

31 May 2016 - Sent AOS/IV package to NVC

5 Jul 2016 - NVC Case Complete

10 Aug 2016 - Medical Exam

25 Aug 2016 - Interview - APPROVED

1 Sep 2016 - Husband picked up his visa

Husband POE'd @ IAD - 5 November

There are also lawyers out there advertising to take on these cases in jurisdictions where there is court precedent now.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A noncontributory post has been removed. Post constructively, or don't post.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Every known case in which an I-864 beneficiary has sued a sponsor in state court

has arisen in family law proceedings.

Nuff said

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Nuff said

There's plenty more to say on the issue. Here is a good article

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0110-wheeler.shtm

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.