DarkKiss

MarrIage and Visa Fraud

106 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Fraud is not a legal ground for divorce in Texas (adultery, cruelty, felony conviction and abandonment).

Wrong. Fraud is an absolute pleading for divorce in every state. It is one of a few grounds for annulment in the U.S., as well as abandonment - applicable in this case (maybe). The pleadings for fraud will vary state-to-state, but suffice it to say that it encompasses a plethora of legal arguments. To procure a contract (such as marriage) through fraud will usually lead to a void/voidable contract.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Wrong. Fraud is an absolute pleading for divorce in every state. It is one of a few grounds for annulment in the U.S., as well as abandonment - applicable in this case (maybe). The pleadings for fraud will vary state-to-state, but suffice it to say that it encompasses a plethora of legal arguments. To procure a contract (such as marriage) through fraud will usually lead to a void/voidable contract.

Yes, I said that abandonment was a grounds. In Texas fraud isn't a direct ground for divorce. Usually though one of the grounds is a result of the marital fraud however.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was wondering how long it would take to get to annulment.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

OP I truly wish you good luck. Like others say, he can apply to remove conditions on his own, and he almost certainly knew it. You will still be on the hook for the affidavit of support you signed.

Obviously on its surface it would seem like immigration fraud. Unfortunately, proving it is another matter altogether as marriage fraud technically doesn't equal immigration fraud to USCIS, even in cases where the evidence seems hard to dispute. If nothing else, what you sent might at least make for some uncomfortable questions come his interview time. Obviously I don't know all that you have, nor is the decision up to me anyway, but based on anecdotal evidence from this site, don't expect much to happen.

Even when there's an admission of guilt after the fact, it's still not enough as he can simply claim it was in anger or out of spite. Statements from others mean next to nothing. People threaten to report legal immigrants as frauds all the time, so USCIS puts almost no stock in it. The length of time you were together and all those things you described doing to help him out can now be used by him to claim that the relationship was legit (at least when it started). In the end, evidence of being a ##### spouse doesn't mean anything, and he can craft whatever story he wants to justify his side of why things went the way they did during the marriage, which may also include putting at least some of the blame on you.

Really, unless you have some sort of evidence dating back from before he immigrated that confirms he was only in it for the green card, it seems very difficult to get USCIS to take any action.

At this point it's all out of your control anyway, so I think your statement about putting the situation behind you and moving on is the best advice you can give yourself.

bypassing language filter

Edited by Ontarkie

the point of the f1 and CR1 visas was to keep families TOGETHER. Well obviously you guys aren't "family" anymore since the divorce. The reason which he should be sent back to DR. But that's my opinion. As someone who is still waiting for my family from across the world, I have strong feelings for those kind of people that will lie cheat steal to get their way here.

I wish you nothing but the best. I pray God will heal your heart and you find true love someday. I feel angry for you! Ugh. Whyyyy?!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Too bad he had this intentions. However, if he has the two years green card, he can apply to get ten years and after apply for citizenship. He doesn't need you in the next process going forward. The only benefit staying married is he could have apple for citizenship in just three years.

the point of the f1 and CR1 visas was to keep families TOGETHER. Well obviously you guys aren't "family" anymore since the divorce. The reason which he should be sent back to DR. But that's my opinion. As someone who is still waiting for my family from across the world, I have strong feelings for those kind of people that will lie cheat steal to get their way here.

I wish you nothing but the best. I pray God will heal your heart and you find true love someday. I feel angry for you! Ugh. Whyyyy?!

You mean k1, correct?

USC and her husband were a family at the time the visa was issued. It is frustrating there really isn't much that can be done.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Let it go.

He'll no doubt get his way and have planned it all. My fiance got fleeced for a green card, we haven't given the girl a second thought. It's annoying he is her 'sponsor' still, but now he has met someone he really loves and who really loves him (me), and we are taking things slowly to make sure we get it right.

Just learn your lesson and make more measured decisions in the future. Harming him - in spite of what a horrible person he is according to you - isn't going to add any value or happiness to your life. Two wrongs do not make a right, just hope karma gets him.

I-129F sent: 2016-04-27

NOA1 Email & Text: 2016-05-04

NOA1 Received in Mail: 2016-05-18

NOA2 Email & Text: 2016-07-06 (63 DAYS!)

NOA2 Received in Mail: 2016-07-18

Thanks so much. I'm happy now. I'm involved with a wonderful loving man and I feel very blessed to be out of that relationship. I invested over $10,000 dollars in him, the whole process, paid by me. I feel like the biggest idiot in the world, but it happens to the best of us. I'm better off now!

so, you are a female, you married a male and you said your husband went off with a man?

Timeline

I don't understand why it is an issue if he went off with a male or female. Kind of deviating from the point.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Saying that fraud is legitimate in every state for divorce is actually false. In CA, where I am...and have studied law, the courts do not recognize any fault based reasons as grounds for a divorce. Fraud IS, however, grounds for an annulment.

AOS (Pending)
Mailed: 3/2/2016
USPS Delivery: 3/5/2016
NOA1 Emails/Texts: 3/10/2016
NOA1 Letters: 3/14/2016 (Online Status updates started: 3/16/2016, Receipt date listed: 3/7/2016)
Bio Apt Notice: 3/26/2016
Bio Apt: 4/8/2016 (Week early attempt was turned away, Same day early attempt successful)
EAD/AP Approval (Email&Text): 4/22/2016
EAD/AP Card Received: 4/29/2016

Interview Notice: 12/14/2016 

Interview Date: 1/20/2017 (Approved!!)

New card Ordered and Case Approved Online Update: 1/31/2017

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

People always say let it go. But I know for a fact, that you can present your evidence and hope for the best. But with all the evidence that you have, regardless of what he says, they can send him back because of the fraud. If it was me, I would be singing like a humming bird and get him sent back. If you want to try it go ahead and then yes you will be released from the AOS.

heart.gif MS RILEYheart.gif

Timeline

He just isn't getting sent back. It won't happen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.