LuvMyDane

Where to get English translation of Birth Certificate

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

I just read where I should send my fiance's birth certifcate with my petition. I have his BC but it is in Danish. How do I get a translated copy? Can this be something my fiance can do? Can he translate it into English and then submit that along with his Danish BC?

Nov 2005 -met online

Feb 2006 -met in person

2006 Lived together in US for 6 mos

Jan 2007 -got engaged

2007 Living together until April

March 19, 2007 -sent I129-f

March 20, 2007 -package received at CSC stamped"USCIS RECEIVED"

March 26, 2007 - NOA1 approved

June 8, 2007 - NOA2 approved -received notice by snail mail June 13, 2007 petition has been sent to the NVC

June 27, 2007- NVC forwarded packet to Denmark

January 10, 2008-Interview at the Embassy

January 18, 2008-Visa Approved

February 14, 2008-Got married in Texas

March 2008- received SSN

April 2008-ASC/Biometrics Appt.

April 2008-Notice that case was transferred to CSC

May 2008-received EAD

November I485 Approved-Permanent Resident Card will be here in 3 weeks!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I just read where I should send my fiance's birth certifcate with my petition. I have his BC but it is in Danish. How do I get a translated copy? Can this be something my fiance can do? Can he translate it into English and then submit that along with his Danish BC?

If he is competent in both English and Danish, he can do it himself. I would probably advise him having it notarized before sending it to you if he does it himself. Or if anyone else does it also, notarized it. Hope this helps! ;)

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Timeline

If he is competent in both English and Danish, he can do it himself. I would probably advise him having it notarized before sending it to you if he does it himself. Or if anyone else does it also, notarized it. Hope this helps! ;)

Sure does..thanks a million :thumbs:

Nov 2005 -met online

Feb 2006 -met in person

Jan 2007 -got engaged

June 8, 2007 - NOA2 approved -received notice by snail mail June 13, 2007 petition has been sent to the NVC

March 2008- received SSN

May 2008-received EAD

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

The boards still out on that one, some have sent them in at applicaton some didnt and both worked out ok..

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Uhm.. you can't translate your own documents - they need to be done by a certified translator..depending on your country's laws.

That's one option.

Or, as we did, order another birth certificate and ask for an international BC - available in most countries.

Can seek out certified translation services on the web..here's a link to one (of many)..

One Of Many Services

FAQs

What is a "certified translation"? [Answer]

Birth certificates, marriage certificates, wills, diplomas, legal documents all need to be certified. Certified translations are governed by local laws in each country. In a non-certified translation the translator is sometimes entitled to give a personal style and tone to the text, to make it more appropriate for the target audience. Certified translations often must be an exact translation of the source and must always include a clause from the certifier together with a round seal affixed which only Certified Court translators may use, and must be certified by the translators signature, in order to be accepted by the courts and the authorities.

Edited by Karin und Otto

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

you can't just translate it - for example here in Bulgaria you have to have a certified translator do it and then you need a seal from the government with wchich they state that this is exactly what it says(BC,Mrriage certificate etc.) and it is approved by the gov and is thec orrect form and everyhting...

2007-03-26 I 129F Package sent

2007-03-29 NOA1 issued

2007-04-03 "touched"

2007-04-07 "touched" (Saturday)

2007-04-10 NOA!!!!!!!!Yoo-hooo

2007-04-11 "touched"

2007-04-19 consulate received

2007-04-24 Package 3 received

2007-05-21 Interview - Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2007-05-23 Visa received

2007-08-28 JFK entry

2007-09-08 Married:)

2007-09-12 Sent AOS application

2007-09-14 AOS Received in Chicago

2007-09-24 NOA1 for GC, EAD, AP

2007-11-09 Biometrics app.

2007-11-XX EAD and AP received

2007-12-20 Transfered to CSC

2008-01-06 "touched"

2008-01-07 "touched"

2008-01-08 "touched"

2008-02-08 'touched"

2008-02-10 "touched"

2008-02-14 Card pruduction ordered :)

2008-02-15 "touched"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Check your embassy/consulate website. I know Turkey requires a certified translator to translate all documents.

Good Luck!

K-1

July 27 2006 Met/Fell in love on a sailing trip in Turkey

March 2 2007 Mailed I-129F Overnight Express

March 15 2007 NOA2 e-mail

March 21 2007 spoke with NVC- case mailed today (via DHL) to Ankara

March 28 2007 Packet 3 sent...(to me?) waiting

NEVER RECEIVED Packet 3- downloaded from Ankara website

May 14, 2007 Packet 3 sent to Ankara Embassy

June 13 2007 interview

May 21 appeal approved- interview rescheduled for 5 July 2007

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

September 26 2007- Omer arrives JFK POE

November 23 2007- Married!

AOS

February 23 2008 Finally sent AOS to Chicago

March 4 2008 NOA1 for all 3 AOS documents (rcvd from Missouri Center?)

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

March 29 RFE- Birth Cert. translation :(

April 8- RFE received; case resumed processing (at National Benefits Center)

April 11- Case transferred to California Service Center

April 29 - EAD and AP approved... finally honeymoon in Mexico!

May 29- AOS approved e-mail received!!!!!!

June 7- Greencard arrived in mail!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I stand corrected! To be on the safe side, go with the certified translator. As phila has stated, check your embassy's website for actual confirmation. None of us here are immigration lawyers. But as you can see, there's no hesitating for a quick response from most people when something does not seem to be right. Sorry! :blush:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I don't see why it needs to be certified in the fiance's country of origin since in the States it is not necessary to be certified or licensed in order to provide a certified translation for official use.

That definition of what a certified translation is above sounds funny...there is no such thing as an exact translation...that would be babelfish. Translated documents should have the exact same meaning and tone as the source document, but would never be considered an "exact translation."

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Timeline
Hi. I'm new to this. Is the procedure to send a scanned copy of a document to a certified translator via email, and have them send back a paper copy of the translation through regular mail?

Thanks,

Shawn

The companies I looked into required either a scanned, faxed, or mailed copy and they send it back via snail mail. One company offered free 2 day express mail back. Though I don't think of free when they want to charge $45 for the translation. My Danish fiance says Americans love a "buy something and get something free" thrown in. After this post I am starting to believe him. =P

Nov 2005 -met online

Feb 2006 -met in person

Jan 2007 -got engaged

March 2008- received SSN

May 2008-received EAD

I don't see why it needs to be certified in the fiance's country of origin since in the States it is not necessary to be certified or licensed in order to provide a certified translation for official use.

This statement is like saying "you don't have to be a notary in order to notarize something"...It IS required 'in the States.' and especially for documents that USCIS requires translated...make no mistake about it. As for where it is translated - that's up to you.

That definition of what a certified translation is above sounds funny...there is no such thing as an exact translation...that would be babelfish. Translated documents should have the exact same meaning and tone as the source document, but would never be considered an "exact translation."

This is why an official translator is needed, they are familiar/experts in legally-acceptable translation for the countries/languages involved....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.