MPGGPM

For those of you that have already had your interview in Ankara....

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My wife will have her interview soon. (don't know the exact date yet....but expect it sometime in May). I will not be with her. (My wife's a tough woman....she can handle it ;) )

What advice can you give regarding the interview in Ankara? What tips or information can you give regarding the medical?

Also, when did you book your plane flight for your spouse? The main problem I see is.....if I wait to purchase the ticket until after the interview, buying it so soon before she leaves, the tickets will be more expensive. But the obvious issue is.......if I purchase the ticket now......although I feel she will get the visa, nothing in this process is guaranteed. And something could happen at the interview, which would delay her return, and then we'd have to cancel the flight and incur the charges to reschedule. Any tips on travel agencies I could use?

She won't need info on places to stay while in Ankara, because she has relatives there and will stay with them.

If there is anything I've missed or didn't ask, that I/my wife should be aware of as well........please let me know.

Thanks.

Edited by MPGGPM

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

Timeline

My Wife is having her K3 interview on wednesday. I will let you know how it went and what kinda things they asked for.

The medical was the easy part, she went to the American Hospital in Istanbul. Problem is she lives in Izmir and she only had time todo a day trip. So we asked a friend of ours in Istanbul to pick up the results of the exam the day after (with the receipt they'd given my wife) and mailed it to my wife. They took a chest x-ray and that was part of the results but Ankara's website says not to bring an x-ray to the embassy. One minor problem with the medical was that they require immunization records which is sorta hard to come by. My wife works at a medical university and was able to have one of the doctors there write up such a note explaining all the vaccines that were administrered (all true) on his precription notes.

As far as travel, to be honest, I don't think Turkish Airlines (or other operators within Turkey) have the same exponential price increase as the travel time nears as we do in the states. This has been only true for me if I go through a travel agent however. I would not worry about it and would wait till you wife has the interview. If it's a couple of hundred bucks difference between buying then and buying now, you might have to pay the same difference in rescheduling fees anyway. Definitely have her goto a local travel agent and ask for the price of one way trips on a few days when you think everything will be settled.

My wife also had a J1 2year HR requirement, but thankfully, we got a no-objection waiver. Otherwise we would've had to wait another year.

Good luck to both of you.

Married 08-17-2006

K3 Visa Started 08-26-2006

K3 Visa Received 03-29-2007

AOS Started 07-25-2007

2yr - GC Received 05-12-2008

ROC Started 02-02-2009

10yr - GC Received 06-10-2010

Naturalization

N-400 Sent 01-29-2011

NOA Received 02-14-2011

Biometrics 02-23-2011

Interview Letter __-__-2011

Interview __-__-2011

Oath __-__-2011

When it's all done, it will have taken approximately 4 years and 9 months

Timeline
My Wife is having her K3 interview on wednesday. I will let you know how it went and what kinda things they asked for.

The medical was the easy part, she went to the American Hospital in Istanbul. Problem is she lives in Izmir and she only had time todo a day trip. So we asked a friend of ours in Istanbul to pick up the results of the exam the day after (with the receipt they'd given my wife) and mailed it to my wife. They took a chest x-ray and that was part of the results but Ankara's website says not to bring an x-ray to the embassy. One minor problem with the medical was that they require immunization records which is sorta hard to come by. My wife works at a medical university and was able to have one of the doctors there write up such a note explaining all the vaccines that were administrered (all true) on his precription notes.

As far as travel, to be honest, I don't think Turkish Airlines (or other operators within Turkey) have the same exponential price increase as the travel time nears as we do in the states. This has been only true for me if I go through a travel agent however. I would not worry about it and would wait till you wife has the interview. If it's a couple of hundred bucks difference between buying then and buying now, you might have to pay the same difference in rescheduling fees anyway. Definitely have her goto a local travel agent and ask for the price of one way trips on a few days when you think everything will be settled.

My wife also had a J1 2year HR requirement, but thankfully, we got a no-objection waiver. Otherwise we would've had to wait another year.

Good luck to both of you.

It's good that your situation worked out. I remember your post a while back, concerned about whether your wife would make it to the US in time for your future plans, because your I-130 was processing slower than you were hoping for.

I guess we'll just have to handle the medical without the immunization records. I called my wife earlier after I saw your response, to ask her about it. Since she originally entered the US in 1993 with her J-1, she says she no longer has the records. However, I then read on the Ankara Embassy website, that if you don't have the immunization record, the doctor will work with you to decide which ones you need, and which ones you don't.

The airline ticket's a gamble. I see some tickets now for $700. Most are in the $800 range for that time.(May) So, we'll have to decide if we gamble and buy now, or wait. The reason we thought about a travel agency, because normally when we've flown back and forth from Turkey we've use online websites like Expedia, Travelocity, etc.........is that if something did come up like a delay, perhaps the travel agency would be more flexible if we had to work something out. The online websites.............some do not even allow for changes.......so are risky.

My wife and I will have to talk about it more and make a decision. (about the ticket)

Thanks for your response. I wish your wife well at the interview.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Best wishes on your upcoming interviews MPGGPM and NY_IZMIR

I wish had some updated info to give you but things have changed since we went thru Ankara.

May you both have a quick and easy interview so that you may come together with your loved one.

Many Blessings,

Debra

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I wish you both the best as well! We will be interviewing in Ankara (God willing), in June or July, and I am eager to read the feedback you get.

Good Luck!

PS- I price airfares daily, and I'm looking at 1300-1400 USD for June-August travel. Ugghhhh... I keep waiting for them to go down

K-1

July 27 2006 Met/Fell in love on a sailing trip in Turkey

March 2 2007 Mailed I-129F Overnight Express

March 15 2007 NOA2 e-mail

March 21 2007 spoke with NVC- case mailed today (via DHL) to Ankara

March 28 2007 Packet 3 sent...(to me?) waiting

NEVER RECEIVED Packet 3- downloaded from Ankara website

May 14, 2007 Packet 3 sent to Ankara Embassy

June 13 2007 interview

May 21 appeal approved- interview rescheduled for 5 July 2007

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

September 26 2007- Omer arrives JFK POE

November 23 2007- Married!

AOS

February 23 2008 Finally sent AOS to Chicago

March 4 2008 NOA1 for all 3 AOS documents (rcvd from Missouri Center?)

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

March 29 RFE- Birth Cert. translation :(

April 8- RFE received; case resumed processing (at National Benefits Center)

April 11- Case transferred to California Service Center

April 29 - EAD and AP approved... finally honeymoon in Mexico!

May 29- AOS approved e-mail received!!!!!!

June 7- Greencard arrived in mail!

Timeline

I used this company b4, you can sign up for monthly email. This is a Turkish Company and they have good prices.

MENTOR TRAVEL,INC. – NEW YORK

E-MAIL: reservations@mentortravel.com - info@mentortravel.com

http://www.mentortravel.com

Iffice Hours Mon-Friday 10am-6pm New York local time

I wish you the best also phila and InsAllah you will be together so soon with your loved one.

Best wishes,

Peace,

Debra

I wish you both the best as well! We will be interviewing in Ankara (God willing), in June or July, and I am eager to read the feedback you get.

Good Luck!

PS- I price airfares daily, and I'm looking at 1300-1400 USD for June-August travel. Ugghhhh... I keep waiting for them to go down

Timeline

That's about right.........

I looked at fares roundtrip from Florida, in case my wife's case dragged on into the summer. If it had.....I would have flown there to be with her. Since her case "looks" like it will be in May (I figured around that time....looking at all the other timelines from various people who got their visas through Ankara, which seems to be about 2 months from when the case is completed at the NVC).......then my flying to Turkey probably won't happen, since it's more difficult for me to get time off of work during that month.

I've seen them mainly in that range.....$1300-$1400...................although, every once in a while, I will see a fare in $1100 range (flying on "Martinair Holland"). I saw that fare on the Expedia website.

Thanks for both of your "well wishes", (and also for the "travel agent" link. I will look into them). I can only imagine were I in "NY_IZMIR"'s place right now..........being it is the night before the interview for his wife. (it must around midnight there)..........I don't think I would be able to sleep at all!

The night before my wife's interview, I will probably be pacing around our home all night.....like an "expectant father" :wacko: The only bright side I see, is,................ if by chance I DO fall asleep, and since Ankara is so many hours ahead of us.........................by the time I wake up in the morning.............at least the interview will be done!

Edited by MPGGPM

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Timeline

Forgot to add.....

That price seems to fluctuate a lot....the $1100 one......and also one annoying thing about Expedia, is it has this habit of when you "click" on the departure and return flight, it will all of a sudden "jack up" the price and tell you it's been "changed". Right now, for the time I believe you said you were looking for, late June to August....best I saw tonight was $1253. So, to try get that $1,100 price, you need to check the website often.

By the way, I also wanted to mention , by looking at your "timeline"......about Fethiye.......

I would say out of ALL of the places I have been to in Turkey so far, and I traveled around the Mediterranean region of Turkey quite a bit 2 years ago, I definately have the fondest memories of Fethiye and the time my wife and I spent there. We stayed there 2 nights.........on the way toward Antalya.

From the view of the water,.....which we could see while we ate our breakfast on the hotel terrace (with the usual cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, etc.....that you get during a typical Turkish breakfast)....... to a short ride on a ship around the area, where they stopped at various places, and my wife and I went swimming in a few spots in the cold waters, surrounded by the mountains/hills in that area.......................to a journey we took through some old ruins, where after hiking up to the top of one mountain, there was this old delapidated church at the very top........where if you looked at the other side, you could see the Mediterranean Sea.....

It was really such a wonderful time.

Seeing it mentioned on your timeline..........it brings back a lot of fond memories.

Edited by MPGGPM

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Timeline

Geez........2 years on this website, and others.......reading everything I can to learn about the immigration process.

And still.........life has a way of coming right up behind you, kicking you you right in the rear with a big surprise! :wacko:

I just came back from my mailbox......noticed an envelope by the State Dept.......opened it up and..........

HELLO!

I was only off by about a month and a half on my estimate of my wife's interview time. :o

Instead of Mid to late May as I was thinking, I opened the envelope tonight to find..........it's April 4th!!

So, I called my wife up in the middle of the night ,(it's 3 a.m. in Istanbul) because , we have barely 2 weeks!

Obviously, I am happy about the date being...um...just "slightly" ahead of where I thought it'd be. ;) But at the same time, I now have had to scramble....calling FEDEX.....etc......because I have less than 2 weeks to mail that package the NVC sent me to my wife in Istanbul. You think they'd at the very least give us more time to mail things!

So....thanks again for all the well wishes and thoughts.

Looks like we'll need them MUCH sooner than I thought.

I better get busy.

:thumbs:

Edited by MPGGPM

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Timeline

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

....Congratulations....

Yes, one can always be get kicked at some point in this immigration process, LOL.. .

time to get moving :D

Again...Best wishes and congratulations.

Peace,

Debra

Geez........2 years on this website, and others.......reading everything I can to learn about the immigration process.

And still.........life has a way of coming right up behind you, kicking you you right in the rear with a big surprise! :wacko:

I just came back from my mailbox......noticed an envelope by the State Dept.......opened it up and..........

HELLO!

I was only off by about a month and a half on my estimate of my wife's interview time. :o

Instead of Mid to late May as I was thinking, I opened the envelope tonight to find..........it's April 4th!!

So, I called my wife up in the middle of the night ,(it's 3 a.m. in Istanbul) because , we have barely 2 weeks!

Obviously, I am happy about the date being...um...just "slightly" ahead of where I thought it'd be. ;) But at the same time, I now have had to scramble....calling FEDEX.....etc......because I have less than 2 weeks to mail that package the NVC sent me to my wife in Istanbul. You think they'd at the very least give us more time to mail things!

So....thanks again for all the well wishes and thoughts.

Looks like we'll need them MUCH sooner than I thought.

I better get busy.

:thumbs:

I was reading your posts and I want to also extend my well wishes to you and happy that you have an earlier interview date then thought (even though I know it puts added pressure on you both)

Please post how things go. I, as I am sure others that have loved ones in Turkey, are anxious for any feedback we can get.

By the way, has anyone had an experience with a I-601 waiver through the embassy or consulate in Turkey, and how long it took?

Best Wishes,

Wendy

06/2005 - Met in the U.S.

3/26/07 - Mailed I-129F

3/28/07 - Vermont Received

3/29/07 - NOA1

3/30/07 - Check cashed

4/03/07 - "Touched"

4/11/07 - Approved, NOA 2 mailed via snail mail

4/18/07 - NVC received approved I-129F petition

5/02/07 - Fiance received Packet 3

5/22/07 - Mailed I-134 and supporting evidence to Fiance

5/25/07 - I-134 papers arrive in Turkey to SO via UPS

5/29/07 - Packet 3 sent to American Embassy in Turkey

6/02/07 - Packet 4 received by fiance

7/16/07 - Interview in Ankara at 9:45 am

7/16/07 - Visa denied because of a previous overstay in US, must file I-601 waiver

8/16/07 - Delivered I-601 papers to US Embassy in Ankara

12/28/07 - Fourth visit to Turkey

11/22/08 - Still waiting on I-601 Waiver (16 months)

12/23/08 - Yilmaz received approval letter for his waiver in mail!!!

03/18/09 - 2nd IV interview in Ankara

03/18/09 - Visa approved. Will be sent via UPS to his home address

03/25/09 - Received visa at home address

04/18/09 - Arrival in U.S.!!!!!!

05/21/09 - Married on the beach in Hawaii

07/12/09 - Mailed AOS papers via FedEX

7/18/09 - NOA for AOS/EAD/AP

7/30/09 - I-485 transferred to CSC

8/19/09 - Biometrics appointment @ 11 AM---COMPLETED

8/30/09 - AP approved (recieved 2 hard copies in mail on 9/5/09)

9/08/09 - EAD card received in the mail

10/16/09 - Touch from CSC

11/09/09 - Card production ordered

10/05/11 - Filed Removal of Conditions

07/31/12 - Removal of conditions APPROVED, card issued

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.