3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi People

Getting Started on the IR/CR1 Process. Have read through the guides and everything and things are getting more and more clear in my head. Just have a few questions.

This will be further along in the process but to be thorough we also went through the NVC stage as well. Everything seems fine and manageable except the affidavit of support the I-864. Since the USC is abroad and not working we need a joint sponsor. The Father of the USC is also semi-retired and doesn’t have any income. However he does have assets apart from his primarily house. These are basically joint investments in real estate.

Now my questions

1.) For the joint sponsor I read somewhere assets need to be 3X ( for spouses of a USC) or 5X ( for everyone else) the poverty guidelines. Now I am the spouse of a USC but not the spouse of the joint sponsor. So the assets should be 5X the poverty guidelines right?

2.) Also I had an issue concerning the poverty guidelines. From what I understand if the Joint Sponsor is sponsoring someone they need to be making over the poverty guideline. The sponsors current household size is three. Hence which of the following is the joint sponsors asset requirement

Poverty Guideline for 3 people $25,200 X 3 = so a total of $75,600 Assets

Poverty Guideline for 3 people $25,200 X 5 = so a total of $126,000 Assets

or will i be added to the household so the poverty guideline would be

Poverty Guideline for 4 people $30,375 X 3 = so a total of $91,125 Assets

Poverty Guideline for 4 people $30,375 X 5 = so a total of $151,875 Assets

Apologies for the confusing question. There is way too much information out there

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You must be able to cover your own household plus the immigrant so how big is your family. The immigrants primary sponsor has to cover their house hold plus the immigrant. So the 2 number could be very different. IF you have ever sponsored someone else and that person is not a USC or abandoned the green card they would increase your household size.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.