Ciendro

Norms on sending money

26 posts in this topic

I agree with the other people on here and from personal experience that $1000 is way to much to send back home to family. We send maybe $400 a month back home to her family, sometimes less sometimes more it all depends. You need to figure where that money is exactly going to and fast. The poster talking about that whatever money she makes above rent and bills is hers, that is to selfish for me. You are in a MARRIAGE and everything should be shared.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

$1000 a month on the island... family living pretty good

break_through_brick_wall_PA_md_wm.gif

Finally broke that wall ..lol

NOA2...... 81 days June 20, 2016

NVC 29 DAYS

NCV received JULY 19, 2016

NVC # and ID # given 6pm JULY 19, 2016

NVC in TRANSIT JULY 21

MEDICAL AUG 2

CFO AUG 4...... 9am

Interview AUG 9 APPROVED

VISA ISSUED Aug 15

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Not as bad as this one who sent the entire salary home.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/322837-i-751-denied/

Hopefully that OP does not have much financial co-mingled stuff with the selfish wife.

Can't have her cake and eat it too.

I read all the old threads and links leading to more of the same.

Just unbelievable what people put up with and then blaming the IO for being suspicious. Seriously ?!

I wonder how much of it gets banked for making the great escape in due time and how genuine such a marriage is, seems like an anchor

to 'help the family' rather than a relationship based on mutual love and respect with the same vision for the couple's future.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Not fair. When you married her, you married the whole family

Then when she married him, she married his whole family. Maybe he should send $1000 to his family. Maybe she should be a good wife and support him.

Thanks guys. I guess I knew its ridiculous. It became worse once she found a job that is almost all filipinas. We've been married for nearly 10 years and I love her so its tough to accept the "kick her out" response, which I've heard before of course. I can't imagine what is being done with $800-$1,400 per month every single month. I don't even want to talk to her family because I feel that either they are exploiting her or all of them are exploiting me. It doesn't help that many of her friends are married to rich americans who are, apparently, more than happy to pay for everything and attend parties where the girls don't mix with anyone but themselves or speak english and the guys just sit in the corner waiting until they are done. I've shut off wifi before and it just turns into a screaming fit for hours and I turn it on just to be done with it. When I say that I'll just buy my own groceries, it turns into another fight that I'm a bad husband and treating her like a roommate and I'm supposed to support her. They never said it was going to be like this 11 years ago! lol

If you let situation get out of control, it can be that bad and worse. It is going to get worse too. The wrong crowd can make a good person bad, as they will try to fit into the crowd and go by the crowd standards. You need to have a serious heart to heart with your spouse, either she gets back into the marriage, or let her go. Because right now your wife is 100% check out of this marriage. Seriously you'll be a lot better off cutting the cord even after 11 years than if you spend another 10 being walked on until she leaves you any way, if she even stays that long. In my view your wife has zero respect for you or your marriage. So what are you trying to save? It hurts but it will just hurt longer if you let this gone on.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks for everyone sharing their experiences. We have already spent a lot of time talking about this stuff...hopefully we can be adults about it and find points of agreement throughout our marriage.

Click the "Spoiler" button to see our full timeline.

I-129F Sent : 2016-02-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2016-02-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2016-04-18

I-129F NOA2 (printed) : 2016-04-22

NBI, CENOMAR, Birth Certificates, Passport Complete: 2016-05-02

NVC Acknowledged Case: 2016-05-06

NVC Assigned Case Number: 2016-05-09

CFO Certificate: 2016-05-12

Medical Complete: 2016-05-17

Interview Passed: 2016-05-23

CEAC Status "Administrative Processing": 2016-05-23

CEAC Status "Issued": 2016-05-24

2GO in transit: 2016-05-26

Visa in hand: 2016-05-27 (Manila)

POE: 2016-05-29

Married: 2016-07-16

AOS Sent: 2016-08-24

NOA Email: 2016-08-31
Biometrics: 2016-09-29
EAD Status "New Card is being produced" : 2016-11-02
AP Status "Case was approved" : 2016-11-02
EAD Status "Card is has been delivered to me by USPS" : 2016-11-18 (Status never said "mailed")
I-485 Status "New Card is being produced":2016-11-22

Timeline

If you let situation get out of control, it can be that bad and worse. It is going to get worse too. The wrong crowd can make a good person bad, as they will try to fit into the crowd and go by the crowd standards. You need to have a serious heart to heart with your spouse, either she gets back into the marriage, or let her go. Because right now your wife is 100% check out of this marriage. Seriously you'll be a lot better off cutting the cord even after 11 years than if you spend another 10 being walked on until she leaves you any way, if she even stays that long. In my view your wife has zero respect for you or your marriage. So what are you trying to save? It hurts but it will just hurt longer if you let this gone on.

Yeah. I'm afraid to admit you are right. I don't see any contribution being made to the marriage, just ludicrous amounts of money being given away, which means she's not concerned in building our life together, just a free ride, after which she could easily go back home as they likely have a better quality of life over there now than we do here and probably don't even have to work anymore. I signed up for a wife, not a roommate. I'll be thinking through and carefully deciding what happens best. Its excellent to hear from other folks who have gone through the visa process. Thank you!

Timeline

$1000 a month on the island... family living pretty good

Yep! Seeing that a salary there would be $5,000 and they received around $15,000 last year. Yeah, pretty good. Oh, found out one kid had spent all her tuition money when it was time to pay for graduation and my wife sent it again. A sister-in-law was very sad because it turns out her husband had a bad gambling problem. All part of the typical lies to get more and more money. I thought this one would be stronger or smarter than that. Or, maybe she is and has planned this anyway lol

OP,

There was a great article I read a while ago on joint family systems. It is a system often used in Asian cultures including India. It is a way for these families to pool there resources (money and labor) under one room. However, it also spoke of the disadvantages of it.

Then you have American society which is more similar to a "bird's nest" culture. We harbor and care for our offspring until they become young adults then send them off to college, military, or they find a job and a place of their own to live.

When these two cultures clash it can cause problems as you can see in your situation. To an average American sending that much money to extended family per month is unheard of. But to a fellow Filipino, your wife is doing her due diligence.

The issue here is that your wife is in America and may not fully understand how we define a household. For us, helping family starts at home (spouse and children) and only extends to extended family in emergencies or on occasional need of a little help.

If you can search for articles on American society and family it will give her a better understanding. More importantly if it is leading to you being in a financial crisis some very tough decisions will have to be made.

There are many horror stories on VJ where an immigrant spouse has sent too much money back home and left their home in financial debt.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Yep! Seeing that a salary there would be $5,000 and they received around $15,000 last year. Yeah, pretty good. Oh, found out one kid had spent all her tuition money when it was time to pay for graduation and my wife sent it again. A sister-in-law was very sad because it turns out her husband had a bad gambling problem. All part of the typical lies to get more and more money. I thought this one would be stronger or smarter than that. Or, maybe she is and has planned this anyway lol

See those reasons above are why I am glad I have my wife. If that happened to my wife's family and they asked her for more money she would have literally told them to stick it, but my wife is strict like that. We do pay tuition for her nephew who is studying to be a seaman and he knows he better do good in school or his Tita will come and it won't be good for him at all. Also we went back to the Philippines last year and she was not pleased at all because she could not see where the money we were sending went to. We have had other situations where we have sent money back for emergencies but those are VERIFIED emergencies or projects. Where is she from in the Philippines?

You seriously need to put your foot down on this issue, because it's ok probably sending half that but no more. Because according to what you say writing it sounds like your asawa has no respect for you or your marriage at all.

Edited by cyberfx1024

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.