scooby06

emergency medicaid

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I received Emergency Medicaid for both my childbirths as a LPR. None of my sponsors had to pay back anything and I'm a citizen since.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

I think they mean they do not qualify for the subsidy. You have to be over 133% of poverty level to qualify for the subsidy. If they qualified for Medicaid then they are not at that level.

Over 133%? I am under 100% (Which I know for a fact thanks to the I-134) and I qualified...

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

No worries, that's what our taxes are for.

Your attitude is why we are in such a mess right now. Why is it ok for people to come here, pay nothing, and get stuff for free? I just read an article that said only 54% of people in the USA paid any taxes this year. As one of that 54%, I'm saying it's NOT ok to encourage people to take, take, take. I intend and plan (because it is MY personal responsibility) to get Obamacare for my husband when he arrives, which is going to cost more than 900 a month for a good policy, once I retire. I have to pay $400 a month until I retire to carry him until then. Until then, he has to pay for health insurance in his own country and other insurance when he travels. Why is it ALWAYS ok for people to come here and use what hard workers here have paid for???? Why haven't people planned ahead, knowing they are supposed to have insurance? This is why: Don't worry, somebody else will pay for it. Geeze...If you say this is judgmental, well, I challenge you to cite proof that it's not fact???? I know of lots and lots of stories that I can't on here that are the same story over and over and over....

Please explain why the sponsor is NOT responsible for paying this bill???? I suppose I'm old school. Again, I don't expect to go live in another country and not pay my way and contribute. It's just not in my realm of thought that I am entitled to go live somewhere and have the people there pay for my expenses.

Edited by Love To Teach

You obviously must have never heard of sarcasm...

Ask OP and Aaron...

Then I totally apologize, I know I'm gonna get my tail kicked for telling the truth on here. (PS-I love sarcasm, but on here, it's hard to read because you get chewed if you dare state an opinion...hahah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Then I totally apologize, I know I'm gonna get my tail kicked for telling the truth on here. (PS-I love sarcasm, but on here, it's hard to read because you get chewed if you dare state an opinion...hahah

No problem, I completely agree with what you wrote BTW.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

They qualified for Obamacare the minute they landed stateside (became LPRs). If their income was too high then they did not qualify for the subsidy but they still could have purchased insurance through the marketplace.

They chose to not have insurance. Now the money they would have spent on premiums should be used to pay the medical bills.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Your attitude is why we are in such a mess right now. Why is it ok for people to come here, pay nothing, and get stuff for free? I just read an article that said only 54% of people in the USA paid any taxes this year. As one of that 54%, I'm saying it's NOT ok to encourage people to take, take, take. I intend and plan (because it is MY personal responsibility) to get Obamacare for my husband when he arrives, which is going to cost more than 900 a month for a good policy, once I retire. I have to pay $400 a month until I retire to carry him until then. Until then, he has to pay for health insurance in his own country and other insurance when he travels. Why is it ALWAYS ok for people to come here and use what hard workers here have paid for???? Why haven't people planned ahead, knowing they are supposed to have insurance? This is why: Don't worry, somebody else will pay for it. Geeze...If you say this is judgmental, well, I challenge you to cite proof that it's not fact???? I know of lots and lots of stories that I can't on here that are the same story over and over and over....

Please explain why the sponsor is NOT responsible for paying this bill???? I suppose I'm old school. Again, I don't expect to go live in another country and not pay my way and contribute. It's just not in my realm of thought that I am entitled to go live somewhere and have the people there pay for my expenses.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your over all point that people who come here should be prepared to pay for their own medical costs. Because, after all, that is the system that we have here in place in the USA.

However, I would like to point out one thing about your example where you mentioned that you would not expect to live in another country and not pay your way and contribute. Many other countries have socialized medicine for all residents. So once you establish residence, you would qualify for free or severely subsidized heath care. And I'm not talking just about Europe. There are 3rd world countries where healthcare costs are substantially subsidized to local residents and even tourists. In America, we have been pounded into submission so much by the privately paid medical industry that we lose sight of the fact that much of the world don't have such worries.

By the way, when you say 54%, you're obviously narrowing your argument to Federal income tax only, because the poor pay many regressive taxes such as sales taxes, payroll taxes and property taxes. Death and taxes, no one avoids them, including the panhandler who takes his $1 and 12 cents he gets off the street and buys something off the McDonalds value menu.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Those other countries also have much greater restrictions as to who you can sponsor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your over all point that people who come here should be prepared to pay for their own medical costs. Because, after all, that is the system that we have here in place in the USA.

However, I would like to point out one thing about your example where you mentioned that you would not expect to live in another country and not pay your way and contribute. Many other countries have socialized medicine for all residents. So once you establish residence, you would qualify for free or severely subsidized heath care. And I'm not talking just about Europe. There are 3rd world countries where healthcare costs are substantially subsidized to local residents and even tourists. In America, we have been pounded into submission so much by the privately paid medical industry that we lose sight of the fact that much of the world don't have such worries.

By the way, when you say 54%, you're obviously narrowing your argument to Federal income tax only, because the poor pay many regressive taxes such as sales taxes, payroll taxes and property taxes. Death and taxes, no one avoids them, including the panhandler who takes his $1 and 12 cents he gets off the street and buys something off the McDonalds value menu.

I'm thinking the panhandler's tax on a couple of hamburgers is not exactly hard on him/her. (She said sarcastically.) As to the socialized medicine, look at how much the "worker bees" have to pay of their income so the "queen bees" can have their "entitlements.". The harder you work, the more you are punished by paying more and more taxes. If I lived there, I wouldn't spend money going to college because they would just take more. Better to flip hamburgers (no disrespect, I've been poor too) and live off the fat of the land. I have actually had parents at my school tell me I am an idiot for working. They live better off their "benefits" than lots of working poor. Better phones, better computers than me, better groceries---no getting up to go to work, heck, can't even get them out of bed to come to a meeting. That's just the tip of the iceberg. BUT when fewer and fewer people continue to pay federal taxes, who is gonna carry all the others? That's one reason I think that a person should have to be able to support himself/herself to come here. I know a family that brought their mom and dad over here, when the parents had a wonderful life (due to the husband's corruption at his government job) in their home country. They have hidden all their income in their home country and live like a king and queen. He even told a friend in his home country that he could get his needed surgery free here versus having to pay for it back in his home country. Are you getting my drift and why I'm over it? And that's just one tiny story.

Filed: Timeline

They qualified for Obamacare the minute they landed stateside (became LPRs). If their income was too high then they did not qualify for the subsidy but they still could have purchased insurance through the marketplace.

Or if their income was too low. The subsidy is only for people with income above 133% of poverty level. If they are considering Medicaid, their income must be below 100% or 133% of poverty level (depending on state), or they wouldn't qualify for Medicaid.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

As to why sponsors don't have to pay back Emergency Medicaid: because it's the law.

Regarding qualifying for Obamacare subsidies: if one's income is too low (would qualify for Medicaid IF their state had expanded Medicaid) but their state did NOT expand Medicaid then they don't qualify for subsidies and also don't get Medicaid.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
...... including the panhandler who takes his $1 and 12 cents he gets off the street and buys something off the McDonalds value menu.

Or, most likely, the booze or drugs he buys - which ultimately and often lands him in the hospital or jail - and then there's the bill that the real taxpayers get as a result. Most poor pay very little - if any - property taxes. Immigrants (illegal and legal) who come to the USA financially ill-prepared are hastening the destruction of our great medical system. Go to many of our emergency rooms and take a look around. And then report who/what your see. Abuse beyond belief. Ask the paramedics about the abuse of their time and services. Got a sniffle? Go to the ER - the taxpayer will pay for it. Fall down after getting too drunk? Take that scraped face to the ER. Yup, Working Joe Public will work another day to pay that bill, too. I don't want to deny anyone medical treatment, but we need much tougher financial limitations for immigration. It always amazes me that people can afford to fly around the world and hang-out with their boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses, but can't afford to take care of them when they get to the U.S.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" Some of Emma Lazarus' words on the Statue of Liberty still apply. But some, in 2016, do not. And Third-World countries DO NOT usually treat citizens for free - that's a myth. I did research in Cambodia, Vietnam, and China concerning health care. It's not free. And it sucks. Many times people have to pay before getting treatment. And you definitely get what you pay for. Or not.

WandY--You are exactly right!!! We had a guy who stood on an Interstate exit daily claiming he was broke, homeless, etc. One of our local radio guys watched him for several days...found out he made lots of money standing there...much more than working. That was his "job" and tax-free of course. We really just can't afford to bring lots and lots of people here who can't add something rather than taking away. We are running out of "workers/taxpayers" vs. "takers."

Edited by Love To Teach

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.