MrsDacres

Question about ICE and Master Court Hearing (merged threads)

45 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Does your current lawyer specialize in immigration? Do they have any experience in deportation hearings? If not, find a new lawyer who does. And even if they do have experience, do some research for another nearby immigration lawyer and request an initial consultation. A second opinion definitely couldn't hurt the situation. This is not the time to go with the cheapest lawyer in town. So mentally prepare for this to be very expensive. I wish you all the best.

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

He had originally received a green card good for two years. He did not file to renew it therefor he was probably sent a letter, at this address on record with USCIS, to leave the US. Since he did not he has been here out of status since that time.

With a felony gun charge and an overstay, probably with a deportation order already entered, his chances of staying are slim.

I strongly suggest you find an attorney who is well-versed in immigration law to work on his case. I am not sure what your current attorney is doing other than taking your money since your spouse doesn't qualify for citizenship. At this point in time he doesn't even have a valid green card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

He has had a green card from a previous marriage. He got married in 2007 and divorced in 2010. He got arrested and she never applied for the 10 year.

Not her responsibility to, it was his. Seems like his ignorance of the process got into the mess he's in now, can't blame the ex-wife. The gun charges and current arrest along with the fines he racked up doesn't help anything. There's not much you can do at this point. Find a well versed immigration and be prepared to spend some cash. A lot of it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

ROC is removal of conditions which charges a 2 year green card into a 10 year. Someone on a two year card must prove that the relationship started out as legitimate so they can remain in the US. When a person on a green card moves they are required to update their address with USCIS , which means it is his fault he didn't get any notices and he broke another law ( not usually important but your husband is showing a negative pattern in regards to complying to the law ) Because he didn't do that , he was ordered to be removed from the US. To be honest your husband seems to have a number of issues during separate events and will need nothing short of a miracle to stay in the US. There is another site much more geared to troubled immigration immigrate2us.net that you should get to. But do keep us updated.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do the Children have their Jamaican passports?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

He's out of status now (illegal). His green card expired 2 years after he got it; he never renewed it (removal of conditions)

Felonies aside he's already in deportation proceedings for failing to remove conditions. He will have needed to prove his first marriage was entered in good faith in order to remove conditions. That marriage is over, he probably has very little paper proof and add to that he is a felon.

You will need a REALLY good IMMIGRATION lawyer. Be prepared to spend a lot of time and money to keep him here if that's even possible.

MrsDacres,

You should get consultation from other lawyers. Always best to get second and third opinions.

You should also visit immigrate2us.net as previously mentioned. They have good references to respectable attorneys.

You should research as much as possible. Arm yourself with knowledge. It will help you understand what is going on now and what will happen next.

But most importantly, you should prepare yourself for the likelihood that your husband will be deported and banned from the US.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Skipping court (aka ignoring the judge) won't grant any favors from the American judicial system. He's not the poster child for immigration. And you know it. Pack your bags for Jamaica. I doubt any lawyer can help him - don't waste your money.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have not come across someone with such a history getting US Citizenship, would be interested to know how they did it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks for the responses and opinions. I have heard worse situations than ours and people are granted citizenship. I'm just hoping for the best.

You need a second opinion from another lawyer. If you were told by your current lawyer that he was going to apply for citizenship for your husband then he is scamming you. The first step would have been dealing with his legal residence status.

Your husband needs a valid Green Card before he can even think of applying for citizenship. Had the lawyer filed any papers? What have you signed? What documents have you supplied the lawyer to process your case?

Is the current lawyer representing your husband at the immigration hearing? What has he said he is going to do?

You can't just hope for the best. You need to be researching this issue and asking questions of your lawyer about exactly what is going to happen next and what you can do.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Duplicate threads merged~

~Please refrain from multiple posting of same-themed threads~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

he won't get bond, period. End of story. Ignoring the situation and hoping for the best will get him nowhere but a one way trip to Jamaica. My friend married a man from Turkey. He was in overstay exactly like your husband, was married to another women, divorced and never removed conditions. BUT and this is a BIG BUT, he did not have any felony criminal charges against him , not even a speeding ticket. He was driving one day and was pulled over by the police, he of course had no green card to provide so off he went to immigration lock up(this was in NYC). He had his hearing and had his very "competent" immigration attorney wit him, an attorney who told them the same thing before he was arrested, that all they needed to do was "get his citizenship"and failed to mention the removing of conditions part from his first wife. Long story short, this attorney filed for citizenship for him, citizenship he was NOT eligible for before he was arrested. Charged them $5000 to file it not including the fee for citizenship, charged them another $2500 to show up for immigration court and and attempted to explain to the judge that he has filed his citizenship papers and pleaded for his release and he assured the judge in no time his naturalization papers would be approved and everything would be hunky dory and everyone would live happily ever after. The judge LITERALLY laughed in his face and told him he should be ashamed to be claiming to be an experienced immigration attorney, went on to explain to my friend and her husband that their bozo of an attorney failed to tell them their is no citizenship without a 10 year green card and said if he had it his way lawyers such as the one they were paying thousands to for giving people false hope would be disbarred. My friends husband was promptly deported back to Turkey. That was 14 months ago. In the end the my friend and her husband divorced. There is no way he can ever come back to the US and she cannot move to Turkey as she has three children from a previous marriage, one in college and the other two are still in high school. Their lives were torn apart, they are both heartbroken,they used every penny they had to pay the "attorney" to file citizenship and borrowed $2500 from her sister for him to show up at her husbands hearing.

Moral of the story, ignoring the reality of your husband's situation and hoping for the best will get him nowhere except a one way ticket to Jamaica, which I'm sure is already in the cards. Why on God's green Earth do people come to this forum asking for advice then ignore said advice? Why bother asking when you know you already plan to move ahead with the way things are already going? Seriously WHY???????

Maybe you misunderstood me. We do have an attorney. And when I said hope for the best, I meant I'm hoping he won't get deported at the end of the process.. I'm not ignoring anyone's advice. No need to get your panties in a bunch hun. Whats wrong with hoping for the best? If I don't I will drive myself crazy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.