LuvMyDane

Name change and what would be the best route to go?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't know what is the fastest and best way to go. My fiance is living with me in the US on the Visa waiver program from Denmark and will be going back home mid April. This is the 3rd time he has come here and each time has stayed 3 months. We were going to marry in Denmark in January and have the Visa processed there but we ran out of time due to some of the requirements Denmark imposes for marriage. So we returned to the US. My questions are from everyone that knows are:

If we get married here in the US and I apply for the K3 visa, do I have to change my name for the sake of getting a quicker approval? (I don't want to change my name)

Will a K1 visa be quicker to obtain than the K3?

I will probably be moving during the application process. Will submitting a change of address hang things up?

Nov 2005 -met online

Feb 2006 -met in person

2006 Lived together in US for 6 mos

Jan 2007 -got engaged

2007 Living together until April

March 19, 2007 -sent I129-f

March 20, 2007 -package received at CSC stamped"USCIS RECEIVED"

March 26, 2007 - NOA1 approved

June 8, 2007 - NOA2 approved -received notice by snail mail June 13, 2007 petition has been sent to the NVC

June 27, 2007- NVC forwarded packet to Denmark

January 10, 2008-Interview at the Embassy

January 18, 2008-Visa Approved

February 14, 2008-Got married in Texas

March 2008- received SSN

April 2008-ASC/Biometrics Appt.

April 2008-Notice that case was transferred to CSC

May 2008-received EAD

November I485 Approved-Permanent Resident Card will be here in 3 weeks!!!

I don't know what is the fastest and best way to go. My fiance is living with me in the US on the Visa waiver program from Denmark and will be going back home mid April. This is the 3rd time he has come here and each time has stayed 3 months. We were going to marry in Denmark in January and have the Visa processed there but we ran out of time due to some of the requirements Denmark imposes for marriage. So we returned to the US. My questions are from everyone that knows are:

If we get married here in the US and I apply for the K3 visa, do I have to change my name for the sake of getting a quicker approval? (I don't want to change my name)

Will a K1 visa be quicker to obtain than the K3?

I will probably be moving during the application process. Will submitting a change of address hang things up?

Im not sure what the best and fastest option is, as I haven't started my application process myself. But I am going the K-3 way and I will be changing my ID's and whatnot to include my married name. I don't think it's a requirement, I don't think it will speed things up, but I think it's a nice way to show that my marriage is legitimate as I cannot live with my husband until we get a Visa.

As for changing addresses, I will be moving also during that time. Just ensure that you notify those involved in your application of your new address... whereever your petition is being processed... wether it be USCIS or the Embassy

Just my 2 cents

Married! 03/19/2007

I-130 Process

10/30/2007 : APPROVED!!!! (in 190 days)

I-129f Process

10/30/2007 : APPROVED!!!! (in 151 days)

02/08/2008 : Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2008 : Visa in Hand :D

02/26/2008 : Moved to Colorado

I-751 Lifting of Conditions

06/01/2010 : Completed packet for I-751

06/04/2010 : Mailed packet via UPS

06/07/2010 : Receipt for I-751

08/18/2010 : Biometrics appointment

08/20/2010 : Approved

02/09/2011 : Contacted congressman due to non-receipt of card

03/28/2011 : Card received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Changing your name has nothing to do with a faster approval. You change your name if you want to, if not, that is still ok.

As far as a K-1 vs. a K-3, I strongly recommend for you to check out people who have similar timelines for CSC to see what the average time for approvals is. I think for CSC, they're about the same, 6-7 months.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Other Timeline

I just want to put in a word of caution based on my own personal experience. My husband was in the United States under a visa waiver program and kept "renewing" it after 90 days. This time he came to the country (after we were married and submitted our I-130 etc.) he was almost denied entry into the United States. The Immigrations Officer told us that technically he should put my husband on the first plane back home but decided to let my husband into the country.

If your significant other does try to enter the US while undergoing this immigration process, bring TONS of proof that they will be going back to Denmark or else you might end up wasting a plane ticket.

Nothing I say is legal advice. I recommend you consult a qualified immigration attorney for any questions you may have.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
I just want to put in a word of caution based on my own personal experience. My husband was in the United States under a visa waiver program and kept "renewing" it after 90 days. This time he came to the country (after we were married and submitted our I-130 etc.) he was almost denied entry into the United States. The Immigrations Officer told us that technically he should put my husband on the first plane back home but decided to let my husband into the country.

If your significant other does try to enter the US while undergoing this immigration process, bring TONS of proof that they will be going back to Denmark or else you might end up wasting a plane ticket.

My fiance has already been through the horrors of being almost turned back on his last visit prior to this one. Immigration held him for 2 hours in Atlanta and flagged his passport. Before his visit we were told by an uscis official that technically he could enter the US 4 times a year on the Visa waiver program. In all reality this is not true. Immigration officials have sovereign power and can use any excuse to turn away a visitor. Fortunately this last entry was a breeze to enter but we were still in knots wondering if he would get denied. We do not want to deal with this type of Visa any longer. Plus we both agree that we want to live together as husband and wife and traveling back and forth is no longer fun.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Nov 2005 -met online

Feb 2006 -met in person

2006 Lived together in US for 6 mos

Jan 2007 -got engaged

2007 Living together until April

March 19, 2007 -sent I129-f

March 20, 2007 -package received at CSC stamped"USCIS RECEIVED"

March 26, 2007 - NOA1 approved

June 8, 2007 - NOA2 approved -received notice by snail mail June 13, 2007 petition has been sent to the NVC

June 27, 2007- NVC forwarded packet to Denmark

January 10, 2008-Interview at the Embassy

January 18, 2008-Visa Approved

February 14, 2008-Got married in Texas

March 2008- received SSN

April 2008-ASC/Biometrics Appt.

April 2008-Notice that case was transferred to CSC

May 2008-received EAD

November I485 Approved-Permanent Resident Card will be here in 3 weeks!!!

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

I would think that, if anything, changing your name will slow the process down a little, because they have to do full checks on each and every name you list....

Your absence runs through me like a needle

Everything I do

Is stitched with your color

Married in 2005

I-130

2/6 NOA1

5/11 touch

5-10 Approval for both 129F and I-130

129F

2/14 applied

3/01 NOA1

5/1-11 a few touches

5-10 Approval for both 129F and I-130

5-21 sent to NVC

5-22 129F recieved @ NVC

5-29 forwarded to Embassy

6-12 interview date set (discovered, rather) ... (still no NOA2)

6-22 email notification of NAO2 for I-130

6-27 email notification of NOA2 for 129F

7-15 Medical appointment - Docs say she has pneumonia and want to run 2 months + $2K USD of tests.

7-19 interview

7-20 informed that she has cleared medical. Documents not yet forwarded to Embassy, they will not release them to her, saying they must deliver the documents themselves. (Not true. many people had their medical papers @ the interview)

7-21 Missed flight

7-25 Docs recieved by embassy, visa all ready to go

7-27 Visa revieved

7-28 ARRIVED IN USA!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

waiting for AOS NOA

9-28 5 page RFE sent :(

10-7 RFE recieved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.