Blahbleh

Removing Conditions - alternatives to joint-lease?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I'm currently putting together my I-751. One of the suggested evidence i should include is a copy of our joint-tenancy lease for the apartment we live in. However, at the end of 2014 we switched from a year lease to a monthly lease (we're looking for our first home to buy and wanted to make it easy for ourselves to leave our current place).

When I went through AoS we were on the normal year long lease and a copy of that lease was submitted as evidence with the AoS.

However, I have just found out that our change to monthly means we don't actually have a lease right now so I'm not sure what I can submit in it's place. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Along with other evidence we are also submitting evidence of joint-bank, medical, tax and utilities etc.

Thanks for any insight!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The lease or mortgage is just one piece of the pie. Have a copy of your prior lease, and then explain in your cover letter, or on a cover sheet to your old copy that your lease changed from yearly to Month-to-month. In fact, if you read your prior lease carefully, you might actually find a clause that describes what happens (yearly switches to month-to-month). Not every package can look the same.

Just explain like you've explained here! Do both your driver's licenses have the same data? That helps1

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

It doesn't have to be called "lease". The name doesn't matter. How did you start the monthly rent? Didn't you sign some kind of a contract that renews on monthly basis that has both your names?

Also, who is paying the rent? If you both pay, then landlord can give you monthly receipts showing both of your names and amount paid each month.

Other evidence include:

- Joint car loan

- Joint car insurance

- Life insurance

- Joint car ownership (both name or car registration)

- The usual pictures, affidavits, etc.

Edited by andy78

Thanks for the input, everyone!

The lease or mortgage is just one piece of the pie. Have a copy of your prior lease, and then explain in your cover letter, or on a cover sheet to your old copy that your lease changed from yearly to Month-to-month. In fact, if you read your prior lease carefully, you might actually find a clause that describes what happens (yearly switches to month-to-month). Not every package can look the same.

Just explain like you've explained here! Do both your driver's licenses have the same data? That helps1

Sukie in NY

I'll check up the previous agreement and see what I can dig up.

It doesn't have to be called "lease". The name doesn't matter. How did you start the monthly rent? Didn't you sign some kind of a contract that renews on monthly basis that has both your names?

Also, who is paying the rent? If you both pay, then landlord can give you monthly receipts showing both of your names and amount paid each month.

Other evidence include:

- Joint car loan

- Joint car insurance

- Life insurance

- Joint car ownership (both name or car registration)

- The usual pictures, affidavits, etc.

It's weird, we just contacted the main office when it was time to renew our year lease and told them we wanted to switch to monthly and they said sure, no problem and that was that. There was no new agreement or anything signed.

You could get a signed affidavits from the land lord stating that you communally live together.

I'll see if they are willing to do this, hopefully so.

It's weird, we just contacted the main office when it was time to renew our year lease and told them we wanted to switch to monthly and they said sure, no problem and that was that. There was no new agreement or anything signed.

Read your 2014 lease. Some leases have a paragraph that says that after the 12-month lease expires, it will renew automatically on monthly basis until terminated. If you have that, it means that you are still operating under the 2014 lease, and you would be able to use it as a joint lease from 2014 until now.

Read your 2014 lease. Some leases have a paragraph that says that after the 12-month lease expires, it will renew automatically on monthly basis until terminated. If you have that, it means that you are still operating under the 2014 lease, and you would be able to use it as a joint lease from 2014 until now.

Looking over the 2014 lease there is a section that says the following, would this be what I need? (Bolded parts were highlighted on the lease by the company).

The lease signed by the parties requires a written notice of renewal or termination. Tenant must present written notice to Landlord 60 Days before the lease end date of 10/31/2014. Landlord may give to Tenant a thirty day notice of termination on the first day of the final lease month. If proper notice is not received by Landlord, Lease will automatically renew on a month to month basis at the current market rent plus the applicable month-to-month fee as determined by the unit floor plan; still requiring a minimum of 30 days notice from the 1st of the following month to vacate without penalty.

Looking over the 2014 lease there is a section that says the following, would this be what I need? (Bolded parts were highlighted on the lease by the company).

Yes, if you or the landlord haven't provided a notice of termination of the 2014 lease, then it looks like you are still using the same lease, and it will stay in effect month to month until you or the landlord provide a termination notice. So, if it has both of your names, you can use it as evidence for USCIS for 2014, 2015, 2016, etc.

In addition to that, your landlord might be able to provide you with monthly receipts showing both your names.

I had a similar situation before, I had a one-year lease, then stayed for more than five years doing month to month without signing a new lease.

Edited by andy78

Instead of the receipts, you can get a letter from the landlord stating that you had a lease in 2014 in both your names, and that the lease is in still in effect until today.

The 2014 lease + the letter can show that you had a joint lease from 2014 until now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.