jnguyen1025

K1 fiancé visa interview day experience in HCMC Vietnam

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My interview was on 3/29 at 8am. We organized our paperwork the night before and practiced some interview questions. Very general questions that two individuals engaged should know about each other. We got to USCIS at about 730am since I read somewhere not to arrive any earlier than 15 min. That was wrong. You need to b there to get in line an hour earlier and expect to spend about 4 to 5 hours there. The actual interview is only 5 to 6 minutes, but there are multiple lines and steps before you actually interview.

- when you first arrive, you line up to enter the building. Closer to 8am is when they'll start letting people in.

- second line is to register, this is where they will issue u a ticket with your call number.

- then you'll wait for them to call your number up to review your paperwork. I am not sure how they prioritize the cases, but it's not in numeric order. Don't be alarm if you heard numbers after yours called and you're still waiting. Though not mentioned as a requirement in the paperwork, I highly recommend that both individuals are there during interview. When my fiancé got to the paperwork window, they asked who's sponsoring you and where is she.

- during the review of the paperwork, they pretty much take all the required docs with exception of those for evidence of relationship. Then you'll sit and wait to be called to interview.

- the interview window will have an American rep that speaks Vietnamese and a Vietnamese interpreter. Not sure why they have both. Our Vietnamese interpreter only observed. We both approached the window and that was fine. He asked questions about how we met, when we met, what I do for a living, what city I lived it. My fiancé answered all those. He asked about our wedding plan in U.S. and I answered that. It was more like a casual conversation. He was very nice. Asked to see pictures of us and how do we communicated. I had everything printed, a thick stack of emails for the past 5 months. 4 thick stacks of text messages and FaceTime call log. Facebook and pictures of us were assembled in two stacks, before and after engagement. He glanced at everything, didn't read anything in detail. I don't think he even turn the page on our stack of emails. Mainly looked at pictures. Then he said our visa is approved. We were so happy.

If anything, I would say don't panic, relax, both be there to support each other. I think that plays a lot of weight in the interview.

I hope this is helpful for those getting ready to interview. Good luck.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Vietnam Regional Forum~

~Commentary is consulate-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Congrats!!!!!!!!

event.png

Our Journey

K-1 Visa

09/13/2014 - I-129F Sent

09/16/2014 - NOA1

04/08/2015 - NOA2 (204 Days)

04/14/2015 - NVC Received

05/04/2015 - Consulate Received

05/12/2015 - Packet 3 Received

05/13/2015 - Packet 3 Sent

07/08/2015 - Interview - Approved (295 Days)

07/29/2015 - POE - Houston

08/03/2015 - Married

AOS

10/01/2015 - I-485, I-131 and I-765 Sent

10/05/2015 - NOA Receipt

10/26/2015 - Biometrics

12/28/2015 - Filed Service Request For EAD

12/29/2015 - AP/EAD Approved (89 Days)

01/07/2016 - AP/EAD Combo Card Received

02/16/2016 - AOS Approved (137 Days)

02/24/2016 - Green Card Received

ROC

11/18/2017 - ROC 90 day window opens

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Congrats!! That's so awesome. Did they review the affidavit of support right then and there, or do they do it before? Did you do a co-sponsor?

Timeline

The affidavit of support, they took that at the paperwork window and went through it to check off the type of doc I supplied. Asked if I had W2, which I did provide 2015 W2. I provided letter from bank confirming length of account and current balances. Also included 401k statement, 2015 W2 and 2014 tax return. The I-134 also ask about life insurance policy, which I had through work and was able to print my benefit confirmation to show that as well. I did not provide copy of pay stub or monthly bank statement.

Filed: Timeline

Hi there first of all I would like to Congrat you on your passing. Secondly I also believe that both of people should be there it would play a lot. That is what I did I went back and go to the interview with my ex-wife as well, now I just re-married and I'm kind of scare that it might not be so easy this time. I don't know with me being there with her if it is going to be any help at all with our evidence. I however think it will be, but not 100% sure, I'm still scare that it will be hard, since I just recently divorce not too long and yet I got marry again when me and my wife barely know each other, so I think with that they would give it a red flag they'll probably think it will be a scam for money or something like that. Which is not, right now I'm really scare.Just hope for the best for me.

Timeline

I don't think it being your second marriage will pose a problem. Divorce rate is high, I'm sure it's more common than you think for people in your same situation. I would still recommend you be there in person with your fiancé or wife. I also recommend doing all the paperwork yourself instead using a lawyer, it shows a personal interest. Anyone can pay a lawyer to do it. Someone genuinely vested will take the time to do it personally.

Follow their instructions to the T. Submit as much proof of relationship as possible initially. Make it a point to email each other daily so by the time you interview, you will have a stack of emails to support your relationship. We FaceTime daily and did not have a phone bill at all. My proof of relationship was just stack of email, FaceTime log, text msgs, and pictures.

Be proactive about following up on your case. From submission to approval, it only took us 144 days, and it would've even been earlier if my fiancé was okay with interviewing alone. I submitted paperwork 10/31/2015, earliest interview date available was 2/25/2016. We interviewed 3/29 cuz that's when I had planned on coming back to VN.

Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.