capriwithlove

Intergenerational Gay Fiancee K1 Visa Process Questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, Visa Journey!

I am very new to this site, however I've been aware and using its wonderful resources for a few years now! Finally glad to be able to contribute and ask important questions.

A brief story about my fiancee's and my K1 journey thus far: we met on an older-younger gay dating app awhile back. We had conversed almost constantly (ha!) over the next few weeks and had since spent over three weeks together in person thus far. We're 40 years apart - I have always been only attracted to men much older than me and of course my fiancee is no different. We absolutely adore one another and we are happy to be taking our commitment to one another in a more lawful way. We have been engaged as of last week and everything is going smoothly. I was unfortunately denied entry into the States from Canada, since they knew I was visiting my partner (at the time) and I am currently temporarily unemployed and living at home. I didn't get banned or anything like that, just they said next time I attempt to get into the USA to have sufficient evidence of ties. We're very close to sending off our petition, but all is looking quite excellent. Tons of documentation - including AirBNB, restaurant and car rental receipts, FaceTime logs and screenshots, photos with us and my family all together, iMessage screenshots and so forth! We're very excited. It's been very difficult, as I'm sure many of you are aware of from personal experience - we are ready to commit to one another and begin a life together, but it's been put on pause! I've gotten over the stress, but it comes up a few times a day still! Just, the feeling of missing out on his life and experiences we could be having together, but all-in-all knowing we are doing this for the long-term (any advice to help cope with the stress of being away from your partner for so long? that could be very helpful for me, ha!) !

Anyone else have an age difference K1 experience?

So, my questions are as follows :

• can I visit him before/after the K1 visa petition is submitted? if I happen to get denied again can they ban me or deny my K1 visa petition AT ALL?
  • will our age difference be in any way an issue?
  • we have much evidence of our bonafide relationship, however would it be a good idea to include letters from friends (affidavits of witness) to say how I've always been attracted to older men? or screenshots to show how long I've been using the older-younger dating sites?
  • would it be good to note in the interview that being gay already puts you into a smaller group of mates to seek, hence naturally finding mates across countries makes more sense? especially older-younger
  • any idea how long the California - Ontario K1 visa is taking?

Thanks so much! Very appreciated.

Edited by capriwithlove

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi there, Visa Journey!

I am very new to this site, however I've been aware and using its wonderful resources for a few years now! Finally glad to be able to contribute and ask important questions.

A brief story about my fiancee's and my K1 journey thus far: we met on an older-younger gay dating app awhile back. We had conversed almost constantly (ha!) over the next few weeks and had since spent over three weeks together in person thus far. We're 40 years apart - I have always been only attracted to men much older than me and of course my fiancee is no different. We absolutely adore one another and we are happy to be taking our commitment to one another in a more lawful way. We have been engaged as of last week and everything is going smoothly. I was unfortunately denied entry into the States from Canada, since they knew I was visiting my partner (at the time) and I am currently temporarily unemployed and living at home. I didn't get banned or anything like that, just they said next time I attempt to get into the USA to have sufficient evidence of ties. We're very close to sending off our petition, but all is looking quite excellent. Tons of documentation - including AirBNB, restaurant and car rental receipts, FaceTime logs and screenshots, photos with us and my family all together, iMessage screenshots and so forth! We're very excited. It's been very difficult, as I'm sure many of you are aware of from personal experience - we are ready to commit to one another and begin a life together, but it's been put on pause! I've gotten over the stress, but it comes up a few times a day still! Just, the feeling of missing out on his life and experiences we could be having together, but all-in-all knowing we are doing this for the long-term (any advice to help cope with the stress of being away from your partner for so long? that could be very helpful for me, ha!) !

Anyone else have an age difference K1 experience?

So, my questions are as follows :

• can I visit him before/after the K1 visa petition is submitted? if I happen to get denied again can they ban me or deny my K1 visa petition AT ALL?
  • we have much evidence of our bonafide relationship, however would it be a good idea to include letters from friends (affidavits of witness) to say how I've always been attracted to older men? or screenshots to show how long I've been using the older-younger dating sites?
  • would it be good to note in the interview that being gay already puts you into a smaller group of mates to seek, hence naturally finding mates across countries makes more sense? especially older-younger

Sexual Orientation doesn't mean anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

- You can technically visit, but the requirements of ties will be stronger. They can ban you if you lie, and that could also affect a K1. If you simply get turned away from the border a second time, it should not affect the K1, because you;d get turned away for immigrant intent, and the K1 is for immigrating.

- Yes-ish; less so because you are of a similar culture, and in Western Society, age differences are generally ok. Plus as a gay couple, the "being able to bear children" question is irrelevant. You might still get some extra questions about how you see the age difference working long term,

- Letters from friends mean little. Time spent together is best. They do not want to know about your previous dating habits.

- I wouldn't push the topic, but you might mention it if it comes up, for example if they ask how you met and why you were on that app.

- No personal experience, usually about 6 months.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

OP: They will not care about your relationship preferences. That's not what they are asking for.

The question is: have you physically met each other within two years of filing this petition? And do you have evidence of meeting each other for this time period? It sounds like you have that covered.

Your application is sent to the Dallas Lockbox, and then is routed to a service center. That service center is currently California, which is usually fairly fast. A few weeks to a few months to process depending on the complexity or if addition evidence is needed. Then you'll have the rest of the process to complete, so wait times there will all depend on your medical process/embassy interview.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I can't believe they denied you entry! Were you flying or crossing the border by car? Because I always cross the border by car and I've been interrogated at times but never denied entry. :\

K1 Visa

3-3-2016 Form I-129F mailed
3-22-2016 Check was cashed
3-25-2016 Received NOA1
6-6-2016 Received NOA2 (73 days)
6-10-2016 Received NOA2 Hard Copy
6-27-2016 NVC received case (3 weeks)
6-29-2016 NVC Case Number.
6-30-2016 Case left NVC
7-25-2016 Medical Scheduled.
7-21-2016 Packet 3.
7-27-2016 Interview
8-8-2016 Visa Received.
8-28-2016 POE NYC.

AOS Process

9-15-2016 Sent out package.

9-17-2016 Package received at Chicago Lockbox!

9-24-2016 Received receipt texts for all three petitions. <3

9-27-2016 Check was cashed - could see case in USCIS app. :)

9-30-2016 Received hard copy of NOA's. Notice date - September 23rd.

10-11-2016 Received Biometrics appointment letter for October 28th.

10-15-2016 Case Approval Was Certified by USCIS

10-20-2016 Received RFIE for Affidavit of Support (dated 10/14/2016 on the letter)

10-21-2016 Sent out RFIE back to Department of Homeland Security with Co-Sponsor.

10-28-2016 Completed Biometrics.

10-31-2016 Response to RFE was received.

11-15-2016 EAD & AP approved! :)

11-18-2016 EAD being sent out.

11-19-2016 Received NOA2 for AP.

11-22-2016 Received EAD/AP in the mail. :)

11-28-2016 Case is ready to be scheduled for interview!

People get denied entry. Even saylin who wrote the NVC process wiki was denied entry twice via land entry.

My ex sil was denied entry one day, told to bring proof she hadn't overstayed, and the next day no one cared to look at it and she was let through.

OP dont push this age difference thing and your partner preferences too much. It's really not necessary. Read penguin's post. She has great advice.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
  • can I visit him before/after the K1 visa petition is submitted?
  • Sure, if you're allowed entry.
  • if I happen to get denied again can they ban me or deny my K1 visa petition AT ALL?
  • Usually not unless your found to be a terrorist or are smuggling in contraband or get on an international do not allow in list.
  • Usually not.
  • we have much evidence of our bonafide relationship, however would it be a good idea to include letters from friends (affidavits of witness) to say how I've always been attracted to older men?
  • No, none of their business and they won't be concerned with your details. Why create an issue when there isn't any?
  • or screenshots to show how long I've been using the older-younger dating sites?
  • Again, why create an issue?
  • It's against US law to discriminate against same sex couples. Don't create an issue.
  • Plan for 10 months and be happy with 5.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.