2,297 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My field office is san antonio.case status received March 3rd and my interview is scheduled for August 24th..I believe is fast because my spouse is in the Millitary.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Just an update, my SSN came in the mail today YAYY!!! Can start work on the 18th :).

It says 'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'. Does this mean when I get my green card I will have to go back into the SSA office and apply to have my card changed?

Also, does anyone know if having this on your card prevents/affects you from getting credit rating at all?

---------------------

POE - 02/01/2016

Marriage - 02/29/2016

AOS Sent - 03/11/2016

NOA 1 - 03/14/2016

Biometrics - 04/15/2016

EAD Approved - 05/23/2016

EAD Received - 05/27/2016

Applied SSN - 06/17/2016

SSN Received - 07/09/2016

i-845 GC RFE - 07/14/2016 (4 months after submission)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just an update, my SSN came in the mail today YAYY!!! Can start work on the 18th :).

It says 'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'. Does this mean when I get my green card I will have to go back into the SSA office and apply to have my card changed?

Also, does anyone know if having this on your card prevents/affects you from getting credit rating at all?

I don't have an answer for the first questions :/

HOWEVER, having "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" does not prevent you from getting a credit rating. I obtained my SSN number while i was on F1 status, and have been monitoring my credit report for over two years. Since i had a student loan while I was on F1 status, it automatically went on my credit report and i went from there :)

My field office is san antonio.case status received March 3rd and my interview is scheduled for August 24th..I believe is fast because my spouse is in the Millitary.

I think a lot of it has to do with the field office and how busy they are. I applied on March 31st and my interview is scheduled for July 14th. I definitely was not expecting it to happen quite that fast, especially since my EAD took the whole 90 days to be approved.

AOS Package Sent: March 30, 2016

AOS Package Received: March 31, 2016

NOA Received by Mail: April 7, 2016

Biometrics Appointment: May 10, 2016

Biometrics Walk-In: May 9, 2016

Interview Scheduled: July 14, 2016

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

I don't think you'll have any problems. But I only tried giving my number when I opened my bank account and because I'm not a legal resident yet, they didn't want it anyway.

I hope someone chimes in on this subject, it's important for all of us to be on top of things like this.

Hey, I have a question for you.

I just received my SSN today. I start work on the 18th so I want to open a bank account this week.

You said in the above post that like me you tried to open an account without a green card (legal resident) but you weren't able to, am I right? Is that because you didn't have the green card, or because your social doesn't match any records yet as it's new? Have you been able to open an account since?

Thank you!

I don't have an answer for the first questions :/

HOWEVER, having "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" does not prevent you from getting a credit rating. I obtained my SSN number while i was on F1 status, and have been monitoring my credit report for over two years. Since i had a student loan while I was on F1 status, it automatically went on my credit report and i went from there :)

Thank you :). I just hope I can start off by opening a bank account this week and go from there.

---------------------

POE - 02/01/2016

Marriage - 02/29/2016

AOS Sent - 03/11/2016

NOA 1 - 03/14/2016

Biometrics - 04/15/2016

EAD Approved - 05/23/2016

EAD Received - 05/27/2016

Applied SSN - 06/17/2016

SSN Received - 07/09/2016

i-845 GC RFE - 07/14/2016 (4 months after submission)

Hey, I have a question for you.

I just received my SSN today. I start work on the 18th so I want to open a bank account this week.

You said in the above post that like me you tried to open an account without a green card (legal resident) but you weren't able to, am I right? Is that because you didn't have the green card, or because your social doesn't match any records yet as it's new? Have you been able to open an account since?

Thank you!

Thank you :). I just hope I can start off by opening a bank account this week and go from there.

Hey Sara, that's good to hear!

I did open my bank account but they didn't use my Ssn number as I am not a resident yet. I took my card with me but the bank person said she wasn't able to enter the number in the system because I had to show proof of legal residency as well.

I believe you'll have no problem at all. I know Bank of America, chase and td bank are good for non residents.

Good luck and let us know how that goes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Received my green card today! :D WELP this journey has been absolutely stressful but much less so because of this group so THANK YOU all and I hope you're all near the end of the process too. See you all in 2 years

September 26th 2009: Started Dating (L)

June 6th 2015: Engaged :wub:

June 29th: K-1 Petition Filed

July 8th: NOA1

July 30th: NOA2

August 24th: NVC Received Packet

August 28th: NVC Case number and Invoice ID Number Received

September 10th: Case READY

September 21st: Received Chinese Police Certificate

September 22nd: Scheduled Medical

September 25th: Received English Police Certificate

October 1st: Submitted Readiness form

October 2nd: MEDICAL :dead:

October 2nd: CEAC status updated to "ready"

October 7th: Received Korean Police Certificate

October 8th: CEAC status updated to "ready" (received medical results)

October 13th: CEAC status updated

November 9th: Interview / APPROVED

November 12th: Status to AP

November 13th: Status to ISSUED

November 17th: Received email from courier

November 18th: Passport Delivered

November 30th: Flying home :dance::wub::thumbs::dancing:

18 weeks from filing to entering the USA.

AOS TIMELINE:

March 25th, 2016: AOS/AP/EAD Sent off

March 29th, 2016: All forms accepted

April 5th, 2016: NOA1

April 15th, 2016: Biometrics letter received

April 22nd, 2016: Biometrics appointment

May 27th, 2016: EAD Card Produced

May 31st, 2016: AP approved

June 2nd: EAD Card mailed

June 4th: EAD/AP combo card received --- YAY :D

June 30th: GC being produced -- NO interview

July 7th: Card picked up by USPS

July 9th: GREEN CARD RECEIVED

Filed: Timeline

Hello, i am a USC, we send all documents for my wife on March 11 got the fingerprints letter and appointment, we took care of the fingerprints and she receive her Employment authorization card in may but we havent hear nothing about the interview or GC or SSN , the case online only shows that:

"As of May 11, 2016, we are ready to schedule your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status"

But i guess is taking long due that a lot of people is filling or idk but we are very anxious is been 2 months without any notice or letter :( we are in San Antonio, TX btw... Thanks everybody...

Hello, i am a USC, we send all documents for my wife on March 11 got the fingerprints letter and appointment, we took care of the fingerprints and she receive her Employment authorization card in may but we havent hear nothing about the interview or GC or SSN , the case online only shows that:

"As of May 11, 2016, we are ready to schedule your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status"

But i guess is taking long due that a lot of people is filling or idk but we are very anxious is been 2 months without any notice or letter :( we are in San Antonio, TX btw... Thanks everybody...

Too soon to get worried. It's barely been 4 months. If you check, there are people still waiting since last year.

If she has ead she can go and get her ssn.

Patience and good luck!

Filed: Timeline

Ohhhh didnt know she can apply with the EAD, she is going monday, thanks for that, and thank you for the information i didnt know that it takes that long from USC requests but well i guess trump is around and a lot of people is filling lol, thank you again!!!

Ohhhh didnt know she can apply with the EAD, she is going monday, thanks for that, and thank you for the information i didnt know that it takes that long from USC requests but well i guess trump is around and a lot of people is filling lol, thank you again!!!

No problem.

She will need to fill a ss5 form, take her passport and ead with her, if she changed her name, she needs to show a marriage certificate as well. I believe they ask for birth certificate and translation, but when I went to the ss office, they didn't look at them - it wouldn't hurt to bring them with you.

I'm a NYC filer. Received March 2. I've been waiting for the interview to be scheduled since April 11. Hopefully by the end of the summer ??

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hey Sara, that's good to hear!

I did open my bank account but they didn't use my Ssn number as I am not a resident yet. I took my card with me but the bank person said she wasn't able to enter the number in the system because I had to show proof of legal residency as well.

I believe you'll have no problem at all. I know Bank of America, chase and td bank are good for non residents.

Good luck and let us know how that goes

I think you can add citizens bank (i still think its funny to have a "citizens" bank account as an alien (back when i opened it) ^^) but so far so good... husband is with them, why i joined that bank :)

Met around 2011/2012 in a game (league of legends) super random, best friends ever since... grew closer as friends and desided in 2013 to try dating, flew over and we had a click =)

Proposed in Oktober 2014

12/2014 - File K1

12/2015 - Receive K1 (texas backlog drama, took a year!)

12/26/15 - P.O.E. Boston

01/20/16 - Marriage =)

(Day 000) 03/10/16 - Filed AOS (with EAD and AP)

(Day 001) 03/14/16 - Received EAD+AP

(Day 004) 03/18/16 - Received AOS

(Day 005) 03/19/16 - NOA1 SMS & Email x3

(Day 009) 03/23/16 - NOA1 Hardcopy x3

(Day 016) 03/30/16 - Biometrics letter received

(Day 030) 04/13/16 - Biometrics done (very quiet in Providence (RI) just one other family and me)

(Day 051) 05/04/16 - Approval EAD & AP

(Day 055) 05/08/16 - NOA2 EAD & AP in the mail and online changed to approved

(Day 063) 05/16/16 - Approval AOS

(Day 065) 05/18/16 - Called tier 2 officer to ask where my AOS is at (RFE, Waiver, Interview etc, what to expect) got as answer it's approved...

(Day 067) 05/20/16 - NOA2 AOS Hardcopy and online status change

(Day 086) 06/08/16 - EAD Mailed to me

(Day 088) 06/10/16 - GC Mailed to me

(Day 089) 06/11/16 - EAD & AP combocard received (It still came eventho it's useless since AOS approval)

(Day 091) 06/13/16 - Greencard received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.