Nola504

Didn't register with selective service

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

We're getting ready to file for my husband's naturalization soon. I'm not sure what he needs to do about the selective service. He came here at 19 on a tourist visa but overstayed it. He was 31 when he became a LPR. The wording is kinda tricky when I looked it up. Was he supposed to register when he fell out of status when he overstayed his visa? If so, what should we do now?

Jan 4: receipt notices

Jan 7: Checks cashed

Feb 4: 1st biometrics appointment- attempted 2 unsuccessful early walk-ins. 2nd time told that hubby needed an unexpired passport. Rescheduled biometrics

Mar 14: biometrics completed. EAD card production ordered same day

Mar 19: ready for interview scheduling

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

prior to being an LPR, he wasn't eligible to get drafted, so not eligible for selective service.

AFTER getting LPR status, he's eligible if and only if age appropriate.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

He is at least 35 now so no worries. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Ok I read somewhere recently that "out of status" persons are supposed to register. And he was out of status at 20. Neither of us had heard of that before

Feb 4: 1st biometrics appointment- attempted 2 unsuccessful early walk-ins. 2nd time told that hubby needed an unexpired passport. Rescheduled biometrics

Timeline

post the url or give a citation -we can vette it for you.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Ok I read somewhere recently that "out of status" persons are supposed to register. And he was out of status at 20. Neither of us had heard of that before

That's correct. All citizens, LPRs, and those out of status, undocumented, overstayed, etc.., are required to register.

A blurp from selective service site on non-citizens:

Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Non-citizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on a valid student or visitor visa, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male non-citizens are required to register, including undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, those seeking asylum, and refugees.

And a further note from the site:

NOTE: Non-immigrant men living in the United States on a valid visa are NOT required to register for as long as they remain on a valid visa up until their 26th birthday.

If undocumented person is required to register, then it follows that an overstay (i.e. with an invalid visitor/student/other visa) would be required as well.

Best to check with the selective service system and if he had to register, he must now prove to USCIS it was not done willfully.

Edited by Dario2012

Feel. The. Bern.

prior to being an LPR, he wasn't eligible to get drafted, so not eligible for selective service.

This is not true.

https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration

All male immigrants between 18 and 25 are required to register unless you entered in a valid nonimmigrant status and maintained that status until your 26th birthday. Otherwise, you need to register.

- EWI must register.

- Tourists who enter and overstay must register.

The OP was required to register, but didn't.

They must obtain a "status information letter" from Selective Service and enclose that original letter with their N-400. Since they are now over 31 then it's won't be a barrier to their obtaining US citizenship, since it is beyond the five year statutory "good conduct" period.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Ok thank you for the information!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do not worry at all.

Based on my experience when I did my Naturalization you can request a STATUS INFORMATION LETTER.

Selective Service Website: https://www.sss.gov/Home/Men-26-and-OLDER

Form to fill up: https://www.sss.gov/Portals/0/PDFs/Status.pdf

Now, you have to explain why you did not Register for Selective Service, just be honest and say you do not know about Selective Service and that you are willing to register and fight for your country anytime. Write this on a separate sheet of paper, sign and date.

Selective Service will then mail you back a response ( I do not remember if mail or email ).

Send this response for your Naturalization.

Timeline

This is not true.

https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration

All male immigrants between 18 and 25 are required to register unless you entered in a valid nonimmigrant status and maintained that status until your 26th birthday. Otherwise, you need to register.

- EWI must register.

- Tourists who enter and overstay must register.

The OP was required to register, but didn't.

They must obtain a "status information letter" from Selective Service and enclose that original letter with their N-400. Since they are now over 31 then it's won't be a barrier to their obtaining US citizenship, since it is beyond the five year statutory "good conduct" period.

Yup Yup, I was wrong. No poutine for me, for 5 days...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.