tonyg279

Couple of questions I could not find an answer in the guides

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Good morning everyone, first and foremost I appreciate the effort you guys put into this project, helping people with their immigration questions and procedures.

My situation is as follows, I am trying to bring my girlfriend through the K-1 process, I am a naturalized american citizen and she is from Venezuela, the first question I have is about her daughter, she is a minor and I could not find anywhere information about the traveling permit from the other parent of the minor ( her Dad) we already know it will not be a problem since my girlfriend already talked to the baby's dad about future traveling plans and moving to the states, so I need to know if they will require such a permit through out the whole process. The other question is about her divorce certificate, will it need to be translated and apostilled. And the final question will be in regards to my previous marriage, my ex wife got adjustment of status through me when we got married, it was a bonafide relationship, it was a long time ago, were married for around ten years and have a daughter together, it was not through the K-1 process, she came as a tourist and i proposed to her, it was not our intention to get married, i was just in love back then and proposed, everything went find and she got approved for her residence, she is already a citizen, so the question is, will it raise a red flag since this is my second time a person will adjust their status through me? even if the first time was not through the K-1 process? The reason i ask is because if I am not mistaken i read on I-129F if you had petitioned somebody before, but i am not sure if what they are asking is through the K-1 process or not.

thank you so much for all the help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will need written permission from the father assuming he has rights to the child.

The divorce degree will need to be translated.

Was wife #1 from Venezuela too? Does fiancé know about wife #1?

Good luck, welcome to the forums.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Good morning everyone, first and foremost I appreciate the effort you guys put into this project, helping people with their immigration questions and procedures.

My situation is as follows, I am trying to bring my girlfriend through the K-1 process, I am a naturalized american citizen and she is from Venezuela, the first question I have is about her daughter, she is a minor and I could not find anywhere information about the traveling permit from the other parent of the minor ( her Dad) we already know it will not be a problem since my girlfriend already talked to the baby's dad about future traveling plans and moving to the states, so I need to know if they will require such a permit through out the whole process.

This is Embassy-specific. Email the Embassy and ask, but most do require it. A notarized letter from the other parent works.

The other question is about her divorce certificate, will it need to be translated and apostilled.

Translated yes, can't answer the second part.

And the final question will be in regards to my previous marriage, my ex wife got adjustment of status through me when we got married, it was a bonafide relationship, it was a long time ago, were married for around ten years and have a daughter together, it was not through the K-1 process, she came as a tourist and i proposed to her, it was not our intention to get married, i was just in love back then and proposed, everything went find and she got approved for her residence, she is already a citizen, so the question is, will it raise a red flag since this is my second time a person will adjust their status through me?

No and especially since it was a long time ago.

even if the first time was not through the K-1 process? The reason i ask is because if I am not mistaken i read on I-129F if you had petitioned somebody before, but i am not sure if what they are asking is through the K-1 process or not.

There' a time limit and you didn't file a K-1 petition so it doesn't apply to you.

thank you so much for all the help.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

You will need written permission from the father assuming he has rights to the child.

The divorce degree will need to be translated.

Was wife #1 from Venezuela too? Does fiancé know about wife #1?

Good luck, welcome to the forums.

No she was not from Venezuela, she does know about my ex wife.

thank you for the help.

Timeline

So i should check NO, even if she got adjustment of status through my petition? not a K-1 but as a husband and wife.

thank you.

Correct, No, meaning you have not filed a K-1 petition in the past.

Timeline

Correct, No, meaning you have not filed a K-1 petition in the past.

Have you ever filed for this or any other alien fiancé(e) or husband/wife before?

what about the part about husband/wife before

I wish they were more precise on their questions.

thank you Baron555 for the help.

Timeline

Have you ever filed for this or any other alien fiancé(e) or husband/wife before?

They are talking about the CR-1 Spousal visa filing. Not AOS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

1st all in venezuela you dont need to get your paperwork translated. My whole documents were in spanish (Im the venezuela beneficiary of a k1 visa) I strongly suggest to follow the guidelines of our country cause the process is different in every country. And yes you need to apostillar the divorce, birth certificates and police records

About her daughter: If you want to bring her daughter you can file a petition for both at the same time because she is a minor, of course you will need a document stating that the biological father agree with the process.

About your previous relations it doesn't matter at all. As long as you are divorce, it was a long time ago it truly doesn't matter because not only it was a real marriage but also she is already pretty much on her own.

Of course, you need to submit the proper documentation and I strongly recommend to get several copies of your divoce decree. I'm my husband's second wife and even though after a k1 process, an adjustment of status, 2 years of residency, Removal of conditions, 4 years of amrriage and a son together and I had to submit a certify copy for all those processes...I'm submitting my citizenship appliaction and they are still requestion my husband's divorce decree :/

Hope I was able to help

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

1st all in venezuela you dont need to get your paperwork translated. My whole documents were in spanish (Im the venezuela beneficiary of a k1 visa) I strongly suggest to follow the guidelines of our country cause the process is different in every country. And yes you need to apostillar the divorce, birth certificates and police records

About her daughter: If you want to bring her daughter you can file a petition for both at the same time because she is a minor, of course you will need a document stating that the biological father agree with the process.

About your previous relations it doesn't matter at all. As long as you are divorce, it was a long time ago it truly doesn't matter because not only it was a real marriage but also she is already pretty much on her own.

Of course, you need to submit the proper documentation and I strongly recommend to get several copies of your divoce decree. I'm my husband's second wife and even though after a k1 process, an adjustment of status, 2 years of residency, Removal of conditions, 4 years of amrriage and a son together and I had to submit a certify copy for all those processes...I'm submitting my citizenship appliaction and they are still requestion my husband's divorce decree :/

Hope I was able to help

thank you for all the information Andrea, just waiting on my girl to finish her divorce, they told me it should take about a month and a half to two months in Venezuela.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

gracias por toda la información Andrea, a la espera de mi chica para terminar su divorcio, me dijeron que debería tomar alrededor de un mes y medio a dos meses en Venezuela.

I am from Venezuela, and wanted to know if I went the sentenca divorce? That city of Venezuela is she?

They are talking about the CR-1 Spousal visa filing. Not AOS.

That's not quite right. The OP's first wife needed to adjust her status. To file the I-485 she would have also needed an I-130. That is a petition from the OP. So yes he has filed a petition for someone else before.

This information about his ex-wife is needed on the I-129F

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I know this post is almost a month old now, but you received incorrect information in this thread. It asks if you ever filed a petition for anyone before. You filed an I-130 petition for your ex-wife before, so the answer would be YES.

It does not ask if you filed an I-129F specifically, nor does it ask if you filed a petition for someone to receive a visa. It simply asks if you ever filed a petition(any petition) before.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I know this post is almost a month old now, but you received incorrect information in this thread. It asks if you ever filed a petition for anyone before. You filed an I-130 petition for your ex-wife before, so the answer would be YES.

It does not ask if you filed an I-129F specifically, nor does it ask if you filed a petition for someone to receive a visa. It simply asks if you ever filed a petition(any petition) before.

thank you for explaining KayDeeCee, i will keep it in mind once the time comes.

thank you all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.