Kelvavik

Medical insurance for spouse's mother - due to arrive in USA soon

32 posts in this topic

Hi first of all you will need to have all your documents ti apply ss card. State id card green card then go to healthcare.gov to start your process for any age group unless you csn be added to someones health plan

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm assuming she's arriving as an LPR?

New immigrants can't get ACA (Obamacare) subsidies for 5 years.

You can't add a parent to your insurance.

I've never had a private room in an Emergency Department, and I've been in them in several different states. Sad if you really believe this.

I have every time. Odd

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

I will cut short all the BS and negative posts floating here and get to the point. You may want to double check my facts with someone else.

She is absolutely not eligible for Medicare since she has not paid in the system. She will be once she is a citizen and she has to pay premiums.

She will become eligible for federally and state funded Medicaid once she spends 5 years as a green card holder and if her income is below the threshold.

Everyone on the US soil is eligible for Emergency medicaid for life threatening situations without any restrictions or status.

She maybe eligible for state funded Medicaid as a green card even without the 5 years limit depending on the state she lives in. Not all states do this. Check with your local county health department. Once again her income limit is assessed here.

She is absolutely eligible for Obamacare and its subsidies based on her income. She can apply now as she falls in special category since she just came to US outside the enrollment period.

If thestate wants to give her Medicaid and other benefits, she can take it. Make sure that the state you live in does not enforce sponsor deeming.

I hope this clarifies your questions.

Timeline

I will cut short all the BS and negative posts floating here and get to the point. You may want to double check my facts with someone else.

She is absolutely not eligible for Medicare since she has not paid in the system. She will be once she is a citizen and she has to pay premiums.

She will become eligible for federally and state funded Medicaid once she spends 5 years as a green card holder and if her income is below the threshold.

Everyone on the US soil is eligible for Emergency medicaid for life threatening situations without any restrictions or status.

She maybe eligible for state funded Medicaid as a green card even without the 5 years limit depending on the state she lives in. Not all states do this. Check with your local county health department. Once again her income limit is assessed here.

She is absolutely eligible for Obamacare and its subsidies based on her income. She can apply now as she falls in special category since she just came to US outside the enrollment period.

If thestate wants to give her Medicaid and other benefits, she can take it. Make sure that the state you live in does not enforce sponsor deeming.

I hope this clarifies your questions.

Becomes a citizen or just an lpr after 5 years and would be eligible.

Not everyone on us soil is eligible for emergency Medicaid. In the state of Florida those in vwp or b1/2 status is not eligible.

Timeline

Becomes a citizen or just an lpr after 5 years and would be eligible.

Not everyone on us soil is eligible for emergency Medicaid. In the state of Florida those in vwp or b1/2 status is not eligible.

Not to divert from the topic but where did you get the information from ?

Please see this link. It clearly states Non-citizens are eligible for emergency Medicaid in Florida.

http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/access-florida-food-medical-assistance-cash/medicaid

Timeline

Please see this link. It clearly states Non-citizens are eligible for emergency Medicaid in Florida.

http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/access-florida-food-medical-assistance-cash/medicaid

From personal experience three times. Once myself, once a famiLy member and once a family member of my church. Non citizens perhaps but not visitors. Edited by Transborderwife

Timeline

http://www.benefitsapplication.com/apply/FL/Medicaid

Read the last paragraph under emergency Medicaid section

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems an odd thing to ask towards the end of the process, you would have thought that this is something you would have looked at before starting.

OP makes it sound like she is not wealthy and will not be working, tax credits are of course only useful if you are paying tax,

Medicare you will eventually be able to buy into but at a significant cost.

Then there are all the co pays/ deductibles etc.

Hopefully he has deep pockets.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I think OP is looking at ways to limit his responsibilities as co-sponsor for his Mother-in-law.

Probably too late now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

http://www.benefitsapplication.com/apply/FL/Medicaid

Read the last paragraph under emergency Medicaid section

Were yours or the people you are talking about had genuine life threatening experiences like stroke, kidney failure, cardiac arrest, to name some??

If not then they are not considered under emergency medicaid. Simply going into an emergency room does not constitute a life threatening situation.

It would be absurd to not give medical care in life threatening situations whether visitor or non-citizen and its actually breaking the law under PRWORA act. That would open up a box of lawsuits against the state.

Even a visitor is in a temporary domicile status of that state.

Timeline

What usually happens in life threatening situations is that they will do whatever is minimalistically necessary to patch you up and get you out the door if they are not getting paid.

Not exactly an ideal situation for the patient. But something.

My parents spent a lot of time in medical facilities of one sort or another but most of it would not have fallen into that category.

Timeline

Were yours or the people you are talking about had genuine life threatening experiences like stroke, kidney failure, cardiac arrest, to name some??

If not then they are not considered under emergency medicaid. Simply going into an emergency room does not constitute a life threatening situation.

It would be absurd to not give medical care in life threatening situations whether visitor or non-citizen and its actually breaking the law under PRWORA act. That would open up a box of lawsuits against the state.

Even a visitor is in a temporary domicile status of that state.

Medical care was given, but the funds to pay for it was not. Mine was an emergency c section after an accident. One of the other two was an emergency baby delivery and a heart attack. Lucky for me the hospital cut us a deal for the cost of my daughters delivery

Timeline

Medical care was given, but the funds to pay for it was not. Mine was an emergency c section after an accident. One of the other two was an emergency baby delivery and a heart attack. Lucky for me the hospital cut us a deal for the cost of my daughters delivery

Good for you. Well the whole idea of us talking about this is the fact whether medical care was given or not. Now that its clear, they probably didnt count the emergency c section as life threatening which in itself is ridiculous.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.