Kelvavik

Medical insurance for spouse's mother - due to arrive in USA soon

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello,

My spouse's mother will be arriving in the US within the next couple months.

Can anyone in here shed some light on medical insurance.

- Can my wife's mother get added to my wife's medical plan?

- Can my wife's mother get added to my medical plan?

- Are immigrants of this type insured immediately upon stepping off the plane? If so, through whom are they insured?

- Are they eligible for some kind of government health insurance plan? If so, must this be set up before they arrive?

- If they're eligible for a government health insurance plan, is this a 100% government subsidized plan? If not, how much does it cost and/or how can I find out how much it costs?

- If there is a significant health problem and we don't have insurance to pay for it, what happens? Does the relative become a ward of the state until we pay? Does the government go after the person who signed the i864?

- Under what circumstances might the government go after the person who signed the i864? And to what degree will the government pursue reimbursement from the person who signed the i864 before they go after the co-sponsor?

Thanks.

What 100% govt subsidized plan is this and how do I get on it?

If this were the case I would hardly think the govt would issue immigration visas to people simply so they could get instant free health coverage.

The govt health plan I think you referring to has a fancy name called ObamaCare.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

1. highly unlikely

2. highly unlikely

usually insurance only allows spouses/children not parents

3. no

4. ACA also known as Obamacare

5. go to healthcare.gov or the state site for the ACA

6. You could be sued by the government to reimburse for medical costs or any other means-tested benefits they received

7. If the beneficiary collects means-tested benefits, I have never heard of anyone being sued under the I-864 but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

An LPR is not eligible to apply for medicaid for at least 5 years. That is not to say they won't receive it (some areas seem to not care about the status of the immigrant) but the government could sue the sponsor/co-sponsor for reimbursement. The mother will not be eligible for Medicare unless she works at least 40 qualifying quarters in the US.

I suggest you look at the website for the affordable care act and perhaps contact them by phone to discuss your options.

Here is good read about obtaining Medical Insurance for elderly immigrant parents

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/582733-success-getting-healthcare-coverage-for-immigrant-parents-over-65/

Edited by Merrytooth

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Timeline

What 100% govt subsidized plan is this and how do I get on it?

If this were the case I would hardly think the govt would issue immigration visas to people simply so they could get instant free health coverage.

The govt health plan I think you referring to has a fancy name called ObamaCare.

Close to 100% subsidized it appears, if your elderly parents don't work and they claim zero income for ACA tax subsidy. Since ACA only looks at income not assets (except the income that is generate from it), there could be potential abuse.

We'll have to see how sustainable ACA is, since it relies on healthy individuals paying into the system and not using the insurance.

If y'all vote for Bernie everyone will get everything FREE!!!!!!!

Close to 100% subsidized it appears, if your elderly parents don't work and they claim zero income for ACA tax subsidy. Since ACA only looks at income not assets (except the income that is generate from it), there could be potential abuse.

We'll have to see how sustainable ACA is, since it relies on healthy individuals paying into the system and not using the insurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There's good news and bad news about the current U.S. health care system:

The good news: Nobody is turned away from medical care.

The bad news: I now work two jobs to help pay for it.

The best thing to do is slip and fall when getting off the plane in America. Go directly to the emergency room and get a nice room with a new color TV and cable. Watch late-night reruns on the local channels and call one of the slick ambulance-chasing lawyers offering lots of cash for "...yourself, spouse, or loved ones hurt in negligent airport ramps and/or jet-way connectors between 1986 and 2016."

You may have a large cash settlement (sans 40% for attorney fees) waiting for you. Welcome to America!

:)

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline

Hi, following this as by the time we get into US my husband will be 61 and me 60 what are the best options for healthcare, I see the link for parent over 65.

Any help or info would be appreciated or just advice on where to look for info.

Many thanks.

Timeline

Get it through your employer if you're working and they offer medical coverage, or go through the Federal exchange unless your State manages its own.

It's my understanding that under employer group plans, one cannot add a parent as a dependent. Only spouses and children. But I could be wrong.

It's my understanding that under employer group plans, one cannot add a parent as a dependent. Only spouses and children. But I could be wrong.

That's pretty much correct.

Merrytooth provided a link which discusses healthcare for elderly parents and it is the best suggestion for you in this case. You could also try to buy coverage privately. I would look at both of those options. Either way though, it is going to cost.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Timeline

I'm assuming she's arriving as an LPR?

New immigrants can't get ACA (Obamacare) subsidies for 5 years.

You can't add a parent to your insurance.

There's good news and bad news about the current U.S. health care system:

The good news: Nobody is turned away from medical care.

The bad news: I now work two jobs to help pay for it.

The best thing to do is slip and fall when getting off the plane in America. Go directly to the emergency room and get a nice room with a new color TV and cable. Watch late-night reruns on the local channels and call one of the slick ambulance-chasing lawyers offering lots of cash for "...yourself, spouse, or loved ones hurt in negligent airport ramps and/or jet-way connectors between 1986 and 2016."

You may have a large cash settlement (sans 40% for attorney fees) waiting for you. Welcome to America!

:)

I've never had a private room in an Emergency Department, and I've been in them in several different states. Sad if you really believe this.

I'm assuming she's arriving as an LPR?

New immigrants can't get ACA (Obamacare) subsidies for 5 years.

You can't add a parent to your insurance.

I've never had a private room in an Emergency Department, and I've been in them in several different states. Sad if you really believe this.

Immigrants can absolutely use Obamacare, and are not restricted from doing so. Medicare/Medicaid is restricted for 5 years.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

There seems to be a lot of mixed information here. According to https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge, medicare it says:

Q. What publicly funded benefits may not be considered for public charge purposes?

A. Non-cash benefits (other than institutionalization for long-term care) are generally not taken into account for purposes of a public charge determination.

Special-purpose cash assistance is also generally not taken into account for purposes of public charge determination.

Non-cash or special-purpose cash benefits are generally supplemental in nature and do not make a person primarily dependent on the government for subsistence. Therefore, past, current, or future receipt of these benefits do not impact a public charge determination. Non-cash or special purpose cash benefits that are not considered for public charge purposes include:

• Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases; use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care
  • Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Nutrition programs, including Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs
  • Housing benefits
  • Child care services
  • Energy assistance, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Emergency disaster relief
  • Foster care and adoption assistance
  • Educational assistance (such as attending public school), including benefits under the Head Start Act and aid for elementary, secondary, or higher education
  • Job training programs
  • In-kind, community-based programs, services, or assistance (such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter)

What it doesn't say anything about is if one goes in for treatment under a government health plan like Medicare or Medicaid and are held for long term treatment for illness or disease, who ends up paying the bill? Is it all covered & paid for under the government health plan? Is the sponsor responsible for the amount due? Or perhaps the sponsor is only responsible if they claim the immigrant parent as a depend on their taxes.

It seems there is little to no definitive information about this out there.

Edited by Kelvavik

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.