town&country

Intending Grenadian Immigrant Cr-1 what to expect?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

Hi VJ forum. I am here in Grenada visiting my husband. We are waiting for our I-130 petition to be approved. We are assuming it will be approved sometime in March or April. I am reading and re-reading the guides to try and understand what will happen next. I see that eventually he will be receiving a packet of papers. Since he lives in one of the smaller islands of Grenada, Carriacou, and Petit Martinique, it will take a month for him to even receive the packet from the Grenada Postal service. Mail gets delivered once a week here, and then takes days and days to actually reach him!

At any rate, my husband, bless him! is not a paperwork kind of guy, frankly, and will indeed panic when he receives all of these papers and applications. We have already filled out a draft of the Of-230 Part 1 and 2 forms, in pencil, just to get started. That took some time! We made sure all of that info matched the info on the petition that I sent in.

But, there is another form that I couldn't preview online, the OF-169, that he will have to fill out too. He wont' be able to do this without help. Also, since he lives in the small island, not the big island, he will need his family there to help collect some of the stuff like vaccination record, and maybe a police record, if they are allowed to get this for him.

I won't be able to come and help in person since I will be very busy with work at that time. I will if I have to but it will be very expensive.

Can any Grenadians give any advice about this?

Q: especially about what the U.S. consulate in Grenada will want mailed, and what they will want brought to the interview?

Q: is this the moment to hire an immigration lawyer? I dont' really trust the lawyers to do it right, but maybe there is someone who can help just with the paperwork, and leave the actual filing to us? None of his family are computer savvy or even have more than cellphones or tablets, certainly no printing capability.

Q: Can I fill out the forms with my computer at home and then mail that stuff to him? Or mail directly to the consulate or what? Or have him collect all the stuff and mail it to me and I complete the packet and mail it in? This would be the preferred method I think.

I am getting a massive headache about this now, I can't get my head around how to deal with this properly and successfully.

any help? Thanks in advance, Julia

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi VJ forum. I am here in Grenada visiting my husband. We are waiting for our I-130 petition to be approved. We are assuming it will be approved sometime in March or April. I am reading and re-reading the guides to try and understand what will happen next. I see that eventually he will be receiving a packet of papers. Since he lives in one of the smaller islands of Grenada, Carriacou, and Petit Martinique, it will take a month for him to even receive the packet from the Grenada Postal service. Mail gets delivered once a week here, and then takes days and days to actually reach him!

At any rate, my husband, bless him! is not a paperwork kind of guy, frankly, and will indeed panic when he receives all of these papers and applications. We have already filled out a draft of the Of-230 Part 1 and 2 forms, in pencil, just to get started. That took some time! We made sure all of that info matched the info on the petition that I sent in.

But, there is another form that I couldn't preview online, the OF-169, that he will have to fill out too. He wont' be able to do this without help. Also, since he lives in the small island, not the big island, he will need his family there to help collect some of the stuff like vaccination record, and maybe a police record, if they are allowed to get this for him.

I won't be able to come and help in person since I will be very busy with work at that time. I will if I have to but it will be very expensive.

Can any Grenadians give any advice about this?

Q: especially about what the U.S. consulate in Grenada will want mailed, and what they will want brought to the interview?

Q: is this the moment to hire an immigration lawyer? I dont' really trust the lawyers to do it right, but maybe there is someone who can help just with the paperwork, and leave the actual filing to us? None of his family are computer savvy or even have more than cellphones or tablets, certainly no printing capability.

Q: Can I fill out the forms with my computer at home and then mail that stuff to him? Or mail directly to the consulate or what? Or have him collect all the stuff and mail it to me and I complete the packet and mail it in? This would be the preferred method I think.

I am getting a massive headache about this now, I can't get my head around how to deal with this properly and successfully.

any help? Thanks in advance, Julia

Don;t know where you are getting this information. But its outdated. After you are approved by USCIS (The Notice is sent to you the petitioner in postal mail not him). Your petition then goes to NVC. Here read the NVC Process wiki that has all the info you need. You can start gathering things now getting yourself ready.

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Q: what the U.S. consulate in Grenada will want mailed, and what they will want brought to the interview? The embassy will mail you nothing

Q: is this the moment to hire an immigration lawyer? You already filed. What do you need a lawyer for. Read the wiki

Q: Can I fill out the forms with my computer at home and then mail that stuff to him? Or mail directly to the consulate or what? Or have him collect all the stuff and mail it to me and I complete the packet and mail it in? This would be the preferred method I think. You will not be dealing with the embassy. Next stage is you and NVC. They communicate via email you give to them.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Thanks for pointing me to the NVC wiki it certainly is very detailed. I am getting my info from 'VJ Guides'. Are they incorrect?

I am familiar with the basic process but I was hoping to get some more specific advice about the Consulate in Grenada as well as any experiences that other Grenadians may have had with the whole process. And whether an attorney could actually be worth hiring to help with my husbands forms, etc.

Yes, i am aware that USCIS will contact me not my hubby about my I-130 petition.

Yes i know the embassy wont be mailing me anything, thanks. I was asking about the stuff that gets mailed to them before the interview. It says in the VJ guide that each consulate handles this differently.

I could still use the advice I requested if anybody can give it!

It would be nice if people responding to questions here could either use a less impatient tone or just refrain from replying. It would make for a better community.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Some newer members fail to credit the experience and wisdom of experienced members, and fail to be grateful when being helped. Sometimes, one doesn't know what one doesn't know.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thanks for pointing me to the NVC wiki it certainly is very detailed. I am getting my info from 'VJ Guides'. Are they incorrect?

I am familiar with the basic process but I was hoping to get some more specific advice about the Consulate in Grenada as well as any experiences that other Grenadians may have had with the whole process. And whether an attorney could actually be worth hiring to help with my husbands forms, etc.

Yes, i am aware that USCIS will contact me not my hubby about my I-130 petition.

Yes i know the embassy wont be mailing me anything, thanks. I was asking about the stuff that gets mailed to them before the interview. It says in the VJ guide that each consulate handles this differently.

I could still use the advice I requested if anybody can give it!

It would be nice if people responding to questions here could either use a less impatient tone or just refrain from replying. It would make for a better community.

I don´t get what you got mad about.

The information you are looking at must be wrong.

When your I-130 is approved your case will go to NVC.

Then the flow will be:

-get case number and IIN, give email addresses over

-complete the online DS-261

-pay the AOS bill, once it's invoiced

-pay the IV bill, once it's invoiced

-complete the online DS-260 - The DS-230 was the old, paper form used by the U.S. Department of State for immigrant visa applications. It has been replaced by the electronically-filed DS-260 form.

-submit both packages together

-respond to any checklists, if applicable

-get case complete

-get interview date scheduled

-case is sent to embassy/consulate

You and your husband, need to print and sent out papers when the case go to NVC.

And when you go to NVC, you will need to have access to a Computer to pay Fee´s.

You can fill it all out and sent to him and he can sign it, the same goes to other way.

About what to bring to the Embassy, well know one know until the case goes there, you may or may not get a checklist if something is missing.

You have filled the I-130, what about the process is making you think you need a lawyer?

And on a last note, if you talk nice to people in here, you can get ALL the help you need.

OH LOOK PICTURES - https://500px.com/sorenhelmer

K3 Visa Journey (That turned out to end up being IR1)

Marriage: 2008-03-25

USCIS:
I-130 Sent: 2015-09-10
I-130 Received: 2015-10-15
NOA1 : 2015-10-18
NOA2 : 2015-10-29

NVC:
NVC Received Case (I-130): 2015-11-12
NVC Case Number Received: 2015-12-03
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 2015-12-03
Submit DS-261: 2015-12-03
Pay AOS Bill: 2015-12-04
Receive IV Bill: 2015-12-08
Pay IV Bill: 2015-12-08
Send AOS Package: 2015-12-11
Send IV Package: 2015-12-11
Scan date: someplace around Dec 21st, nvc was not really shearing.

CC: 2016-01-29
Medical Examination: 2016-01-18
Embassy Interview: 2016-03-21 - NEW DATE 2016-03-02

AP: 2016-03-02

Issued: 2016-03-08

- They asked for more papers

Issued Again: 2016-03-10

- No new must be good news :rolleyes:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

other Grenadians , this year and last, utilized the NVC Process Wiki page.

Make it your bible for the next 3 weeks. See Links? Click Through ! Read about using a phone? Use a Phone ! Read about utilising email? EMAIL !

The wiki page is current, vetted by peers...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

sorry sorry, I didn't mean to offend the VJ forum. I was a little taken aback at the first reply like they didn't read my post at all. My op was too long, I know, right? I have been reading this forum for a couple of years actually, knowing we would be getting married, and have seen lots of people being helped by many caring forum members. I am grateful for the forum. I will try not to be so sensitive in the future.

BTW, everything I think I know about the marriage visa is from this website and forum. I have read the Guide over and over again. Obviously that is not enough to get all the facts, and it is a little bit out of date I guess.

It sounds like the I-130 petition was the hardest part to prepare, so that is a relief to know.

Thanks SoerenHelmer for your summation and answers. I feel relieved to know that I can prepare most of the applications and payments online myself, it will make things so much smoother. That is mostly what I was stressing about.

And Darnell, I will make the NVC wiki 'my bible' for at least the next three weeks (more like next 3 months)--haha you always make me laugh, thanks.

best, Julia

I know you wanted to hear from fellow Grenadians and I am not but ... At the moment I wouldn't get too involved in where your husband is from. The consulate doesn't have anything to do with this until the very final stage, which is the best part of a year away. Until then, we all follow an identical process so help and information from any nationality will be relevant to you at this stage. The I-130s from all over the world sit side by side in the USCIS service centres and are processed in the same way.

The NVC stage is also the same regardless of where you are from.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.