simonschus

UK bank accounts that are best for easing the transition the US?

39 posts in this topic

Okay! Thank you for your thoughts, I hadn't ever realised that NatWest once had a relationship with Citzens Bank - I see them all over New England, and I'd have happily use Citizens if there was some benefit.

Nonetheless, I decided to take the plunge and open up a HSBC current account. It was a lot more efficient to open it on the phone that the Internet as I was able to get an instant decision on the telephone today whereas (apparently, according to the telephone agent) the online application can take a couple of weeks for everything to be set up. Now that the application was accepted on the 30 minutes phone call, I just need to pop into a HSBC UK branch for a scheduled appointment tomorrow to provide all the relevant documentation. They offered me an overdraft and a credit card too which I will be taking solely so I can build some form of internal credit profile up through HSBC UK over the next few months - that is after all the main intention of this exercise, namely to ease access to local and proper credit when I arrive in the US rather than having to rely on secured credit cards or solely being added as a supplementary cardholder. The HSBC strategy should hopefully be successful in addition to leveraging AMEX's Global Transfer service, and I'll get added to my partner's credit card too (just as she is already added to mine in the UK).

Admittedly. setting up a new HSBC account does seem a bit of hassle but hopefully it'll work. Of course, I'll let you know how I get on once I try to use HSBC's international transfer service in a couple of months. I only opted for the standard current bank account with HSBC rather than their 'Advance' product so I'm expecting to pay £100 rather than £50 for the transfer service. The sole reason for this is that I am not wanting to change my existing relationship with NatWest where my salary is already paid into. I know that the banks offer a service to swap this all over (and offer cash for doing so). However, I have been with my existing current account provider for 10 years and I like that length of a relationship on my UK credit file. I think I shall just transfer money into my HSBC account whenever I get paid into my existing bank account just in order to pay off the credit card each month.

Simon.

P.S. It should be noted that this wasn't the original intention of my question in this thread but the conversation helped guide to me this outcome nonetheless.

Edited by simonschus

I've got a question about using the account transfer service with HSBC account, and when on a K1 visa. Did they have a problem with the fact that you weren't earning for a few months (until you got the Employee Authorization Document). Some of the HSBC websites indicate that you need a proof of income for the transfer service, and I won't have my own independent income.

My goal is to secure a US credit card with an institution other than AMEX, solely to get on the credit ladder (I know that there are alternative methods but I'm settling on the HSBC method as my preferred to date).

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

I've got a question about using the account transfer service with HSBC account, and when on a K1 visa. Did they have a problem with the fact that you weren't earning for a few months (until you got the Employee Authorization Document). Some of the HSBC websites indicate that you need a proof of income for the transfer service, and I won't have my own independent income.

My goal is to secure a US credit card with an institution other than AMEX, solely to get on the credit ladder (I know that there are alternative methods but I'm settling on the HSBC method as my preferred to date).

Simon.

I had no problem but I was working in the UK at the time I applied for the US account.

RoC Journey
09-04-2018 - I-751 packet sent to CSC
10-22-2018 - NOA1 date
10-31-2018 - Received NOA1 letter, LPR status extended to May 2020

07-09-2019 - Received biometrics appointment letter

07-10-2019 - Case updated again as 'Fingerprint Review Was Completed'

11-07-2019 - Case transferred to 'local' office in Lee's Summit, MO

03-05-2020 - notified that I-751 is now at the San Jose field office

10-23-2020 - attended combo I-751/N-400 interview - N-400 recommended for approval!

06-15-2021 - I-751 is approved! :)

Citizenship Journey

08-28-2019 - N-400 filed online

08-28-2019 - NOA1 and priority date (case estimate April 2020)

09-17-2019 - Biometrics appointment attended - case updated online as review complete

09-18-2019 - Case is being actively review by USCIS at the NBC

02-03-2020 - Case scheduled for interview on Super Tuesday!

02-19-2020 - USCIS cancels interview. :(

03-04-2020 - USCIS reschedules interview for 04/13/2020

03-19-2020 - USCIS cancels interview. :(
09-23-2020 - USCIS reschedules interview for 10/23/2020

10-23-2020 - attended combo I-751/N-400 interview - N-400 recommended for approval!

06-15-2021 - N-400 is approved! :)

07-10-2021 - Oath Ceremony at the San Jose field office. Now a US citizen! 🇺🇸

Ah that is helpful to know. I am working in the UK and will be up until the day before I leave the UK so I will have a UK income when I apply a few weeks prior to moving over to the US. I had assumed that they might want a proof of US income. Nonetheless, the HSBC team are going to call me tomorrow to discuss everything. I'm going to leave it until 3-4 weeks prior to wanting the account just so that I have enough time to build an internal credit profile with HSBC (as already mentioned, I use NatWest, American Express and Barclaycard for my financial needs in the UK but only one of those will be useful for the US transfer).

Simon.

Ah that is helpful to know. I am working in the UK and will be up until the day before I leave the UK so I will have a UK income when I apply a few weeks prior to moving over to the US. I had assumed that they might want a proof of US income. Nonetheless, the HSBC team are going to call me tomorrow to discuss everything. I'm going to leave it until 3-4 weeks prior to wanting the account just so that I have enough time to build an internal credit profile with HSBC (as already mentioned, I use NatWest, American Express and Barclaycard for my financial needs in the UK but only one of those will be useful for the US transfer).

Simon.

Cool beans. I wish you every success with this, and the move.

Amex were awesome: took just a week from applying to getting a new US-issued card in my hands. HSBC took roughly 2 weeks to send my debit card and 4 weeks to get the credit card (I had to nag them for the latter but the International Banking Center in New York was helpful).

I discovered yesterday that Barclaycard has a US operation. They, sadly, do not appear to have a global transfer option like Amex.

RoC Journey
10-22-2018 - NOA1 date

Citizenship Journey

09-17-2019 - Biometrics appointment attended - case updated online as review complete

Cool beans. I wish you every success with this, and the move.

Amex were awesome: took just a week from applying to getting a new US-issued card in my hands. HSBC took roughly 2 weeks to send my debit card and 4 weeks to get the credit card (I had to nag them for the latter but the International Banking Center in New York was helpful).

I discovered yesterday that Barclaycard has a US operation. They, sadly, do not appear to have a global transfer option like Amex.

I had contacted Barclaycard to find out if they would do a global transfer option and they said that they didn't at present but were looking into it for the future.

I called the US AMEX 'new accounts' up on Sunday as that was the telephone number that I the AMEX UK website gave me for initiating the Global Transfer process. The new account team explained the different cards available and began the process as they said that I could apply whenever as it would take a few weeks for everything to be passed over and dealt with by the Global Transfer team, and that there was no problem with me applying in advance. Nonetheless, I got a telephone call from the Global Transfer team the next day who refused to progress the application until I have a proof of residence in the US (e.g. bank statement; mortgage or rental statement; mobile phone contract with my US address on). I don't have any proof of residence in the US yet because I don't have anything registered to the address where my future wife and I'll be living. As such, the application seems to have stalled now which is a little disappointing as I'll probably only get that documentation when I move over. I was hoping to organise it all in advance of arrival but I guess that might not happen.

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

I called AMEX 'new accounts' up on Sunday and they began the process as the gent on the phone said I could apply whenever as it took a few weeks for everything to be passed over and dealt with by the Global Transfer team. Nonetheless, I got a telephone call from the Global Transfer team the next day who refused to progress the application until I have proof of residence in the US (e.g. bank statement; mortgage or rental statement; mobile phone contract). I don't have any proof of residence in the US yet because I don't live there so it seems to have stalled now which is a little disappointing.

Simon.

Yeah, I waited until I was in the US as Amex's instructions say you need (among other things) a Social Security number, which you can't apply for until you arrive in the US. I also had a bank statement from HSBC by then, which I used as proof of residence.

RoC Journey
10-22-2018 - NOA1 date

Citizenship Journey

Yeah, I waited until I was in the US as Amex's instructions say you need (among other things) a Social Security number, which you can't apply for until you arrive in the US.

When I spoke to the Global Transfer person on the telephone, they said that a SSN was not necessary for the application (which I was surprised about given what the website states). The person at the Global Transfer team basically told me that they required proof of address and that was all that was required to complete my application. The person seemed very confused when I said "I don't have that and I won't for a little while after arrival". They asked "well, where are you going to live when you get here?". I had to explain my visa route (K1) and the person was not familiar with such a route so I think it threw them. It is fair enough though, as I imagine that most transfers aren't through a K1 route.

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

When I spoke to the Global Transfer person on the telephone, they said that a SSN was not necessary for the application (which I was surprised about given what the website states). The person at the Global Transfer team basically told me that they required proof of address and that was all that was required. They seemed very confused when I said "I don't have that" and they asked "well, where are you going to live?". I had to explain my visa route (K1) and they seemed very confused by such a route.

Simon.

If the person you were speaking to was UK-based, they might not be sufficiently clued up. A friend of mine who relocated to Seattle last year had a similar frustration to you. He gave up and did it from the US - that's why I waited until I was here and only dealt with Amex US.

RoC Journey
10-22-2018 - NOA1 date

Citizenship Journey

I haven't had contact with the UK-based AMEX about Global Transfer at all so I don't think it was to do with insufficient knowledge about the process.

Instead, I was dealing directly with the US side of the operation (i.e. the US-based new accounts team and the US-based Global transfer team) so they should be fairly familiar with the process. I spoke directly with a kind lady in the Global Transfer team who I think is dedicated to processing the application - she seemed quite knowledgeable with everything apart from the nature of the K1 visa. She explicitly said I didn't need an SSN but I don't know if that is just because they don't have my address documentation so she saw no need to take an SSN from. I guess I'll find out once we progress with the application (by which time I might have an SSN anyway so the point is moot!).

Thank you much for just chatting to me about this - makes me feel less alone amidst the dull admin! I'm off to sign for my HSBC UK bank account, overdraft and credit card in the morning. Seems a bit strange to sign up for it just for the purpose of building an internal profile. I'll be putting spend through it just for show as opposed to for need.

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

I haven't had contact with the UK-based AMEX about Global Transfer at all so I don't think it was to do with insufficient knowledge about the process.

Instead, I was dealing directly with the US side of the operation (i.e. the US-based new accounts team and the US-based Global transfer team) so they should be fairly familiar with the process. I spoke directly with the person in the Global Transfer team who I think is dedicated to processing the application. She explicitly said I didn't need an SSN but I don't know if that is just because they don't have my address documentation so see no need to take an SSN from. I guess I'll find out once we progress with the application (by which time I might have an SSN anyway!)

Thank you much for just chatting to me about this - makes me feel less alone amidst the dull admin!

Simon.

How very odd and utterly unlike my experience with Global Transfer. :blink: Well, as long as you get the card sorted when you arrive, or soon after, it's all good. Have you picked a card yet? So many choices over here!

It's a genuine pleasure to chat. We're all in the same boat or, perhaps, have been in the same boat already. I'm currently in AOS purgatory, awaiting movement on my employment authorization so that I can be a drive/work/be a normal human being again.

RoC Journey
10-22-2018 - NOA1 date

Citizenship Journey

How very odd and utterly unlike my experience with Global Transfer. :blink: Well, as long as you get the card sorted when you arrive, or soon after, it's all good. Have you picked a card yet? So many choices over here!

It's a genuine pleasure to chat. We're all in the same boat or, perhaps, have been in the same boat already. I'm currently in AOS purgatory, awaiting movement on my employment authorization so that I can be a drive/work/be a normal human being

Yes - it seems our experiences are different but I think that is just because of organising it in the UK vs organising after having moved over.

As for the type of card: I just chose the basic Everyday card with Membership Rewards - I'm looking to continue building up the collection solely for airmiles. It made the most sense to choose a non-fee paying card whilst I'm not working as opposed to one of the cards with an annual fee (even if the fee is waived in the first year as it is for some of the card). I have two AMEXs here in the UK - one with no annual charge (just a British Airways co-branded card) and another which has an annual fee which I keep solely for the travel benefits. The annual fee card is paid up until the end of the year anyway. I'll be keeping both of the UK card for the remainder of the year and then make a decision near annual fee renewal time by which point I'll hopefully have my US salary sorted (cross fingers really tightly for a decent job!). Plus, keeping the UK cards for now will be useful for my parents as they'll covered by the travel and car rental insurance that comes with the card which will be useful for when they make the hop over for the wedding! I am a huge fan of the AMEX brand and so it was no question that I wanted to get an AMEX in the US when moving over, albeit I found the customer service style to be different with the US compared to the UK service centres.

I'm looking forward to submitting the AOS forms. I already have them all filled in ready to print out for (hopefully) a few months time ready for submission the day after getting married- we just need fill in the last few remaining details that we can't do right now. I have my K1 interview at the London embassy in a few weeks, and the week after my fiance will be visiting me in the UK - it all feels so close and I really hope we have news to celebrate that weekend! I'm kinda looking forward to heading over to Ireland that weekend too without a UK passport (it'll be with the US embassy; I can fly over with a UK drivers license and birth certificate though which is a nice benefit of the UK/Republic of Ireland bi-directional travel agreement). I'm just living for interview day at the moment.

Good luck and please do keep me (and us) updated on your AOS - it'll be cathartic and I'll (we'll) live vicariously through it! :) Hopefully you're keeping a big smile on your face!

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

Yes - it seems our experiences are different but I think that is just because of organising it in the UK vs organising after having moved over.

As for the type of card: I just chose the basic Everyday card with Membership Rewards - I'm looking to continue building up the collection solely for airmiles. It made the most sense to choose a non-fee paying card whilst I'm not working as opposed to one of the cards with an annual fee (even if the fee is waived in the first year as it is for some of the card). I have two AMEXs here in the UK - one with no annual charge (just a British Airways co-branded card) and another which has an annual fee which I keep solely for the travel benefits. The annual fee card is paid up until the end of the year anyway. I'll be keeping both of the UK card for the remainder of the year and then make a decision near annual fee renewal time by which point I'll hopefully have my US salary sorted (cross fingers really tightly for a decent job!). Plus, keeping the UK cards for now will be useful for my parents as they'll covered by the travel and car rental insurance that comes with the card which will be useful for when they make the hop over for the wedding! I am a huge fan of the AMEX brand and so it was no question that I wanted to get an AMEX in the US when moving over, albeit I found the customer service style to be different with the US compared to the UK service centres.

I'm looking forward to submitting the AOS forms. I already have them all filled in ready to print out for a few months time, and fill in the last few remaining details. I have my K1 interview in a couple of weeks and the week after my fiance will be visiting me in the UK - it all feels so close. Good luck and keep us updated on your AOS - it'll be cathartic and I'll live vicariously through it! :) Hopefully you're keeping a big smile on your face!

Simon.

I went for the Blue Cashback Everyday card. Won't be doing much flying now compared to the six transatlantic trips last year! Still got the black BA Amex but will close it off before the 150 quid is due in June.

One thing to remember about those AOS forms (I-485/I-131/I-765/I-864): they expire. I know a couple of people who got stung by filling them out too soon and getting an RFE which delayed their AOS, so just make sure they don't change before you submit them. I wish you very good luck with the interview. Mine was a positive experience: in and out in less than an hour. There may have been some mini fist pumps once I had cleared the embassy gates. :whistle:

My AOS journey is being lived blow-by-blow over in the December 2015 filers thread. I'll probably get yelled at for going so off topic here!

RoC Journey
10-22-2018 - NOA1 date

Citizenship Journey

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just thought I'd updated you. I began the International Bank Account Opening process with HSBC on a K1 visa. I am currently in the UK and am full employment. Nonetheless, they told me that it was impossible for me to open an account as I did not have an employer letter for opening an account in the US, which they stipulate is a requirement. I did ask for them to check with supervisors and was told the same thing: that I can't open a HSBC account in the US with the UK's International Bank Account opening team without an employer letter or property in the US

I did ask how long that policy has been in place and they told me that it has been in place since the new year. I opened the HSBC account earlier this year with the specific, sole view of using their International Bank Account Opening feature. I guess that is a waste of a credit hit (for the credit card/overdraft) and effort getting it all open for zero short-term benefit.

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

I found the American banking system so quaint when I first moved here two years ago. Checks/cheques are still a thing over here. A bastardised version of Chip and Pin is very slowly getting rolled out. My credit rating in the UK meant for nothing not surprisingly. When I first arrived (complete with the cash from my house sale in London) I had to deposit $1000 to a get a $1000 credit limit on my bank's credit card. Needless to say the banks try to sell you things you really don't need. Mine offered me a line of credit/loan at 8% over base to improve my credit rating. Gee thanks I will pass on that one.

Things I do like - I can actually talk to someone in a branch if I go in. The (drive-thru) ATM emails me my receipts and even wishes me a happy birthday. I got personalised debit and credit cards for free (my dog is on one card , on another I have a couple of upturned ducks arses).

After two years my credit is fine and I get card offers pretty much everyday. I don't use the banks for money transfers - their rates are usually/always pretty bad and they'll usually figure some way to charge you.

Richard

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.