coolguyjoe

I-864 - spouse quit her job, immigrant income

4 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello again everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone remembers my last thread - but my mother turned out to be fine, and I ended up being able to stay in the US until at least I get my AP.

I'm getting ready to file everything ASAP (i-130 and i-485) - and my wife just filed her taxes! Here are some questions I'm stuck on though...

1) My spouse made $18,945 in gross income last year, which is $1,000 or so below the 125% of the poverty guidelines. We have gathered around $5,000 in cash, and got a letter from a bank account stating that we have that amount to compensate for that $1,000 gap.

2) HOWEVER, my spouse just quit her job, and is doing some basic freelance work/is a partner on Youtube. She expects to make around $20,000 this year, also, but through online freelancing... I have a company in France that I manage from the US, and I'm making around $60,000 per year. I know that, since my spouse and I live together, I can include my income using i-864b... But is this necessary since we have her $18945 tax return and the cash in the bank? If it is, through what documents can I prove my income in France? We don't really have anyone to be a co-sponsor in the U.S...

Thank you SO much for all the resources - you people are truly one of the most helpful and amazing communities on the whole internet.

Have a splendid night!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'd use your income based on what you've stated. Now that the USC spouse is self employed it may only complicate things.

How would you document your income if you were living in France? The same method would be used here.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Thanks a lot for the information! I've been digging around my documents, and I have these to prove my occupation:

- A 3 year contract between me and my employer (which started in December 2014) with a monthly salary of $5,000 USD. Contract ends December 2017. In French, I will translate this myself

- French bank documents showing that I have been receiving approx. $60,000/year in my bank account (sender not shown because they transfer it physically at a branch using cash)

- Proof of payment by my employer that they have been paying my social security taxes since December 2014 (approx 300 EUR/month)

- Bank of America statements that show around $70,000 in wire transfers to my account from France between Dec 2014 - Dec 2015

We don't file taxes the way you guys do in France. $5,000 is my salary after taxes - my employer pays my taxes separately on a different system. Therefore, I do not have tax returns.

Do you think these would suffice?

Thank you very much! You are AMAZING!!!

Edited by coolguyjoe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.