ajmess jaon

Did you guys hire someone to help with the AOS?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

People ive been asking have been charging a ton for the AOS services.

Id like to know if this is possible to do it myself. Im pretty street smart and Im looking into these papers and it looks pretty easy.

Is it possible to do it by ourselves?

Thanks!

iammrhappy

If you are a meticulous person, able to read and understand the guides & instructions, you should be able to file AOS / EAD/ AP forms yourself.

I did all the paper works myself, from I-129F -> K 1 Visa, AOS, and ROC.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

I used a lawyer for the K1 visa process for my wife, but for both AOS and ROC used the guides on here. We did not have any problems and you shouldn't either if you follow the guide to a tee. Now we are getting ready to file for her citizenship by myself.

We did have an interview for her AOS but no interview for ROC

Edited by cyberfx1024

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Did you guys hire someone to help with the AOS?

Remember, yer on a DIY Immigration Web Portal,

with an emphasis on 'Y' actually 'D'-ing.

Many people don't get into the DIY side of the site,

as

they visit VJ from a handphone

and

cannot see the Guides Section from the Top Menu.

If you are one of those (ie, a handphone user),

then please come visit VJ from a PC using a real web browser.

The Guide for doing an adjustment of status is comprehensive, but....

if'n you can't click through to it? You can't see it, much less use it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

This is a DIY site, most people on here did not use a lawyer. Using one will not make your AOS. happen any faster (it can in some cases slow it down). We found the whole proccess much easier than we thought it would be. Read the guide here, and double check everything before you send it, that would be my only advice.

event.png

I am going to get a lot of flack for my opinion.

I know most people on here are against lawyers, but I am the opposite. Having a lawyer was wonderful. I have browsed these forums through my whole journey and have seen a lot of incorrect information provided by people who pretend to be experts on immigration because they have read about it or have gone through the process themselves. I have seen some genuinely horrible advice on here. I know lawyers aren't perfect but that is why you do research before choosing one.

We used a lawyer through the whole process. The only part I did myself is ROC. Its a very personal choice. Hiring a Lawyer took a heck of a lot off stress of my shoulders (Im a chronic anxiety sufferer)... BUT.... Its an expensive route to take. That said, my lawyer was bloody awesome. I could shoot off an email to him at midnight and he would reply 2 minutes later. At the beginning of the process I was not aware of Visa Journey though and I know many people here have gone through the process filing everything themselves, no problem. Its all personal choice. I wouldn't change our decision to use a Lawyer but you could most certainly do the whole process yourself.

Edited by QueenComley

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Using a lawyer was the best decision I ever made in this process. Yes lawyers can screw up. But that is why you do research before you hire one so you know if the lawyer is good or not. My lawyer told me everything that would happen and helped calm all of my concerns. Everything my lawyer told me was correct, he knew what he was doing.

I know that people here are very anti lawyer and I have seen people being judged for choosing to hire one. Just because you have seen lawyers screw up doesn't make them all bad. You say using a lawyer is a waste of money, I disagree, the money I paid my lawyer was well spent.

Edited by catlover31

Using a lawyer was the best decision I ever made in this process. Yes lawyers can screw up. But that is why you do research before you hire one so you know if the lawyer is good or not. My lawyer told me everything that would happen and helped calm all of my concerns. Everything my lawyer told me was correct, he knew what he was doing.

I know that people here are very anti lawyer and I have seen people being judged for choosing to hire one. Just because you have seen lawyers screw up doesn't make them all bad. You say using a lawyer is a waste of money, I disagree, the money I paid my lawyer was well spent.

I agree... my lawyer was a god send, I have heard horror stories on here of incompetent lawyers, but mine was pretty darn awesome. Me and my husband will always agree,,, our lawyer was worth every penny.

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

the i485 is pretty simple. unless you have a complicated case, overstay or a conviction ect. you should be fine to just fill out the paperwork. If you come across something you dont undersrtand, google it! ie what to fill in section 9c.

Also, i youtubed i485 and i found a great step by step video that explained exactly how to fill it out:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.