5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hello!

Year ago when I was researching the K-1 visa for my husband and I, this website and community was very helpful, and I’m so grateful for this resource! I know these questions will have been asked before, but here is the info I am looking for right now:

My South African husband became a US citizen September of 2014…hooray! And we are just now getting around to filing to sponsor his sister from South Africa (and brother-in-law and their child) for a green card…and we could have filed for my husband's citizenship earlier than we did…so of course we’re already slapping ourselves for delaying considering the wait for sibling-based applications. ARGHH we could already be 3-4 years further in to this process of waiting!

ANYWAY, here we are, and here are my questions:

1. Once we file the I-130, can they ever visit us in the next 10-12 years of waiting for the visa to become available - visit on a B-1 ect visitors visa? I’ve seen answers both ways…they put you on the plane back in case you are trying to get it to stay permanently, and other people say family members visit them once a year while waiting for green card! Which is it?!
  2. Once we file the I-130, could my brother-in-law continue to look for an employer to sponsor him for work here (he is skilled, still a long shot…not bringing new technology or anything…!) IF he happened to be sponsored, would the F4 green card application continue to run and eventually get approved?
  3. If they have more children in the next 10-12 years, how complex is it to eventually add those dependents?
  4. Can someone remind me how fast employment authorization comes through once they get to the US? Both the sister and the brother-in-law could work correct?

I think that’s it…thanks so much for any feedback!

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

1) Yes, they may visit. As long as they're truthful to CBP.

2) Yes.

3) Very easy. Just send a letter to USCIS/NVC with all relevant information asking them to include the child in the petition. Include a birth certificate if you want (I don't think this is required though).

4) They can work as soon as they get here. The visa foil in their passport will act as a temporary green card for 1 year and evidence permanent resident status. The SSN usually comes in 2 weeks after applying.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Thanks very much, and CONGRATS!!!!! I see your long wait is FINALLY coming to an end! How exciting!

Thanks so much! It only took 13 years! :D

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Gahhhh and here I go getting at the back on the line...13 years starts February 2016! :crying: ....but you give me hope we'll get there!!!

Edited by gracedmendola

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.