BKN

packet 3 tax returns

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Apparently there is conflicting information for packet 3 requirements on the US Bangkok Embassy website. My fiance tells me that the packet 3 instructions in Thai say that we need 3 years worth of my IRS tax documents but in the English version of the instructions it just says the most recent years. Can anyone verify that they have recently gone through the process with only the most recent year?

most advice I've read here says 3 years

if you have the time, I'd suggest getting irs tax transcripts, rather than complete returns. irs letterheads are nice.

I'm sending my fiancee to the interview with 5 years of returns, plus a boatload of more info, because I have an unconventional employment situation. but it's only there if needed! I submitted 3 years of returns (actually, 1 complete return, and two previous years 1040's) to keep things simple, stupid.

I meant, k.I.s.s. keep it simple, stupid....but while I am stupid, I can't seem to keep anything simple, can I? 55

and I was referring to myself when I said stupid, not you or anyone else. ok?

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I sent in the past 3 along with IRS transcripts, we got a 221g for not having an original birth certificate and they asked that i submit my 2015 filing as well even though the tax has not been filed. I made a rough draft 1040 and we sent it in, yesterday our status made it to issued

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

The instructions on my I-864 Affidavit of Support says the most recent tax year for sure and the previous two are optional. My accountant here in Thailand always does mine, so printing out new copies is no problem. But I thought since only the most recent year was required that that's what I would submit. (Will be submitting soon.) Is it a good idea to go ahead and give the past three years regardless?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The most recent is what is called for. You can submit the other two if it helps in showing you make enough over the extended period, but maybe did not make much for some reason in the recent year.

Timeline

Since I left my company recently, my income is now zero. Just have assets. So even last year's return is no longer representative. I think I'll submit just that one and have previous years' ready to show in case.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

The Bangkok embassy wanted only the most recent tax return from me, for the tax year 2015. However, they wanted W2 forms, so this is one of the items on our 221g. However, for 22 years I've worked in Thailand for only Thai companies. They don't issue W2s like American companies do. I just always file my Thai taxes, then send a copy of that return to my accountant, who then files my US return based on that. No W2s anywhere in sight. What I provided to the IV Unit was a copy of what my accountant filed, not official I guess despite my including an electronic filing code -- would an official transcript from the IRS be a substitute for any W2 forms?

Timeline

The IV Unit got back with me today and said I could give them my official tax transcript from the IRS in lieu of W2s. I've ordered it. There's no charge. Worth bearing in mind when showing them your tax returns. You can obtain a copy here.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Did they say they just wanted w-2s? What about 1099s? I got transcripts for my last 3 years (not 2015 of course, they weren't available when I did my i-864). They only show taxable income, not income from SSA or the like.

Timeline

W2s or official tax transcripts, those were the only items they mentioned. Maybe send them a message asking about 1099s. They've been pretty good about getting back to me so far.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.