missads

Success getting healthcare coverage for immigrant parents over 65

325 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, hmeeks said:

Hm,

I talked to a healthcare assistor and he confirmed that my mom does qualify for health insurance through the Marketplace, due to not qualifying for Medicaid due to not being a resident for more than five years. Even if she had $0 income she qualifies for the Marketplace insurance. 

If you look at the flow chart Figure A of publication 974 for premium tax credit: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p974.pdf, it confirmed this.

I still am going to hire a tax accountant next year for piece of mind though.

Yes, but you did notice that to get to that last line in the flow chart, your mom would NOT be a dependent on your taxes, right?

And she still needs to file her own taxes to get the PTC (which is off her taxes, not yours):  https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/the-premium-tax-credit-the-basics

ACA is federal but in SOME states that DID expand Medicaid, your mom would have to go on Medicaid, or be eligible to go on Medicaid, because these states don't adhere to the "5-year rule", example, New York (see page 1) https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/ochia/downloads/pdf/guide-to-health-insurance-for-immigrants.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Also important to stress that all this is how things are currently, NY for example has major budgetary issues, will be interesting to see hat happens when they have to get real.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

53 minutes ago, databit said:

Yes, but you did notice that to get to that last line in the flow chart, your mom would NOT be a dependent on your taxes, right?

And she still needs to file her own taxes to get the PTC (which is off her taxes, not yours):  https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/the-premium-tax-credit-the-basics

ACA is federal but in SOME states that DID expand Medicaid, your mom would have to go on Medicaid, or be eligible to go on Medicaid, because these states don't adhere to the "5-year rule", example, New York (see page 1) https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/ochia/downloads/pdf/guide-to-health-insurance-for-immigrants.pdf

Yes, I am not planning on declaring my mom as a dependent on taxes. She will file her own taxes and my state does not have Medicaid expansion :) 

4 hours ago, hmeeks said:

Yes, I am not planning on declaring my mom as a dependent on taxes. She will file her own taxes and my state does not have Medicaid expansion :) 

What state are you in? When I look at the chart you linked it appears mom does not qualify for credits.... Heres an article talking about the position your mom is in- https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-brief/the-coverage-gap-uninsured-poor-adults-in-states-that-do-not-expand-medicaid/ -- Her income is not enough for marketplace- you guys submitted a document saying her income is going to be 14k- BUT it is NOT. When they see her actual income on her tax returns- the tax return will calculate how much she has to repay. At getting credits of 1400/month, its going to add up to a lot. 

1 hour ago, hmeeks said:

What she meant is to use the tax credit because my mom is not qualified for the Medicaid.

Honestly I'm just worried you are going to owe a lot of money back. Here's an idea- taxes don't change much on average. Why don't you go to a site like TurboTax (which would be for this year and not 19, but again it won't be much different in 19 taxes) and fill out a basic tax return for informational purposes only. Do not submit it obviously! You can even use a fake name and social to fill it out. If you don't submit it it doesn't matter. Enter her income of 200 a month and the tax credits she is getting as if the 2018 return is the 2019 one. IMO based on her income it will calculate it out and show she will owe them back. Then go and edit her income to the 14k you told marketplace her income would be and you should see she then becomes eligible for them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, missads said:

For #1, #2 - you want to apply for Medicaid after the 5 year period, not medicare. Medicaid is free to those who have no income. They don't care whether you had previous coverage or not.

#3 - I don't think there is a penalty anymore for not having health insurance, Trump got rid of that last year. In any case, the penalty used to apply only to people who had an income above a certain limit (30K?) Since your parents didn't have any income, they wouldn't have to pay the penalty anyway.

#4 - marketplace is indeed closed for 2019. Check if you qualify for special enrollment (if you moved, they traveled outside the country and reentered etc.)

https://www.healthcare.gov/screener/marketplace.html

Also, since they didn't have income, they are not required to file taxes, no problem there either. However, I would strongly encourage you to file taxes for them separately for 2018 even with 0 income, as it serves as proof of income for future applications. Also, you can consult a tax advisor about backfiling taxes for the previous years, although this might not be necessary if they file 2018 taxes.

Also, what state are you in? Some states have local health exchanges, not healthcare.gov, with different rules.

Thanks, I am in Texas and my parents are 68 and 78 years old. Do I wait till they had green card for 5 years, that will be next year february to try apply for medicaid? Any info on how to file for that in texas.

I will file taxes for 2018 with 0 income. thanks .

On 3/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, databit said:

They can buy into Medicare after 5 years of legal residence, if they are over 65, and if you can afford it! Right now, to buy Part A and Part B Medicare is $572 per month, each. Then you will need to buy a supplement (AKA "Medigap") plan, as Medicare A&B only covers 80% of costs. A supplement that includes medications varies from $200-$360 on average, each, and they do not include dental, hearing aids, and other expenses. So you could be looking at up to $900 each, or $1,800 a month for them both. For Medicare, income doesn't matter (unless they were high income), and you can deduct them from your taxes.

Medicaid is income dependent. They should file taxes as zero income. Medicaid is only available in certain states for seniors. If expanded Medicaid is not available in your state, they will need to buy Medicare, as it will be their only remaining choice with zero income.

You should forget the marketplace, since they don't earn any money to make the minimum amount needed. 

I am new to this and I am looking to get insurance for my parents they are hoping to come in another 2 months. How do I begin. They are both over  65 and i live in Virginia. Do I go to the marketplace and get insurance or can they get medicaid? I know by reading the posts that they need to file taxes separately. but what do they do this year to get insurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Medicare is the usual option for the over 65 but they will not be able to buy in for 5 years.

So start with the Exchange, Immigration should be a qualifying event.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Medicaid need to check with state, but only ones I know that allow recent immigrant is CA and NY. It's one of those things one needs to figure out prior to elderly parent getting here especially if they aren't going to work or have saving/retirement. The petitioner should be obligated to pay for it all is my opinion, especially if the immigrant will never be part of the workforce to pay back into the system.

8 hours ago, Chishhy said:

I am new to this and I am looking to get insurance for my parents they are hoping to come in another 2 months. How do I begin. They are both over  65 and i live in Virginia. Do I go to the marketplace and get insurance or can they get medicaid? I know by reading the posts that they need to file taxes separately. but what do they do this year to get insurance.

No Medicaid for them. Even though VA expanded Medicaid (in effect Jan 2019) that state does NOT allow immigrants to apply for 5 years. They can't buy into Medicare, either, until 5 years have passed.

Your ONLY choice is to buy insurance off the ACA Marketplace.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.