missads

Success getting healthcare coverage for immigrant parents over 65

325 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, 

I read every message on this thread - it was extremely helpful!

I am bringing my father to NC, and our state is no surprise didn't expand the Medicaid, hence the PTC is available only to people who earn $12,060 or more. 

So when I did the search for the health insurance options on healthcare.gov I found the following information:

If your income is between $12,060 and $30,150:

• See how much you’ll save: Preview 2018 plans with estimated prices and extra savings based on your income, before logging in.
  • Extra savings include lower deductibles and copayments. In order to get the extra savings, you must enroll in a plan in the Silver category.

When I search plans on the Preview 2018 plans link I found a few silver plans that are too good to be true. For example, I set income to $13,000 a year and I found the cheapest plan's premium at $5.79 per month with $400 deductible. You can get $300 for $55.65 a month. 

Is it right that If my father makes $13,000 a year and he files taxes independently, then he can qualify for these?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
5 hours ago, PetersTractor said:

Hi Everyone, 

I read every message on this thread - it was extremely helpful!

I am bringing my father to NC, and our state is no surprise didn't expand the Medicaid, hence the PTC is available only to people who earn $12,060 or more. 

So when I did the search for the health insurance options on healthcare.gov I found the following information:

If your income is between $12,060 and $30,150:

• See how much you’ll save: Preview 2018 plans with estimated prices and extra savings based on your income, before logging in.
  • Extra savings include lower deductibles and copayments. In order to get the extra savings, you must enroll in a plan in the Silver category.

When I search plans on the Preview 2018 plans link I found a few silver plans that are too good to be true. For example, I set income to $13,000 a year and I found the cheapest plan's premium at $5.79 per month with $400 deductible. You can get $300 for $55.65 a month. 

Is it right that If my father makes $13,000 a year and he files taxes independently, then he can qualify for these?

That sounds about right. If healthcare.gov quoted that premium and deductible, it should be correct.

Is it an HMO plan by any chance? Those are very restrictive. For example, you are limited to only using providers that are in network, some medications might not be covered etc. You might want to check if doctors in your area readily accept that insurance plan. If you already have a doctor in mind, call their office and ask. Also, compare benefits 1 to 1 with other plan offerings that might have a higher premium in return for more flexibility.

I'm curious how your dad is going to make 13K. I'm assuming he's a senior with no work history in the US?

Please share your experience on the forum, so other readers can benefit as well (pay it forward!)

Edited by missads

46 minutes ago, missads said:

That sounds about right. If healthcare.gov quoted that premium and deductible, it should be correct.

Is it an HMO plan by any chance? Those are very restrictive. For example, you are limited to only using providers that are in network, some medications might not be covered etc. You might want to check if doctors in your area readily accept that insurance plan. If you already have a doctor in mind, call their office and ask. Also, compare benefits 1 to 1 with other plan offerings that might have a higher premium in return for more flexibility.

I'm curious how your dad is going to make 13K. I'm assuming he's a senior with no work history in the US?

Please share your experience on the forum, so other readers can benefit as well (pay it forward!)

Yeah it is limited to one network. I'll check with those doctors if they accept patients under that plan.

So my dad is getting some income like pension and rent from the country of his origins. Plus I am planning on paying him for watching kids. It will be overall cheaper than sending kids to day care.

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, PetersTractor said:

Yeah it is limited to one network. I'll check with those doctors if they accept patients under that plan.

So my dad is getting some income like pension and rent from the country of his origins. Plus I am planning on paying him for watching kids. It will be overall cheaper than sending kids to day care.

I suggest reading the following of potential tax implication when hiring your dad as a baby sitter.

https://pocketsense.com/pay-mom-babysit-show-tax-return-19182.html

Filed: Other Timeline
On 5/24/2018 at 6:11 PM, Umka36 said:

I suggest reading the following of potential tax implication when hiring your dad as a baby sitter.

https://pocketsense.com/pay-mom-babysit-show-tax-return-19182.html

You and will have to pay fica, withhold income tax, and in my state pay unemployment insurance and perhaps workers compensation insurance. Reporting is a pain as it has to be done and paid quarterly.  Remember there is the minimum wage to consider.

Filed: Other Timeline

One also needs to be aware of requirements if paying with dependent care accounts or is receiving childcare funding from state programs.  There may be requirements that the provider be state licenses with a facility inspected and meeting requirements.Having father care for children to get the ACA insurance may be far more complicated than it seems.

I haven't read through all of this thread but I did see part of it relies on certain parts of ACA (like the tax subsidy) not being regarded as a public charge. This could change with new legislation proposed by the administration (whcih I didn't see yet mentioned here so apologies if it was and i missed it) - and yes I know like all proposed legislation who knows when or if it will happen, but still.... definitely worth keeping an eye on 

Summary from a reputable organization https://www.kff.org/disparities-policy/fact-sheet/proposed-changes-to-public-charge-policies-for-immigrants-implications-for-health-coverage/

Salient points for this thread:

The draft proposed rule would substantially broaden the programs that the federal government could consider in public charge determinations to include health, nutrition, and other non-cash programs. The draft proposed rule defines a public charge as a person who is dependent on public benefits or likely to become dependent on public benefits at any time. It specifies certain health and nutrition programs as public benefits, including Medicaid, CHIP, and subsidies for Marketplace coverage as well as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Women Infants and Children (WIC) program (Table 1). Cash assistance for income maintenance, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANFI) program, and state and local general assistance continue to count as public benefits. The draft proposed rule also specifies certain types of assistance that the federal government may not consider in public charge determinations, including emergency disaster relief and school lunch programs.

The draft proposed rule would newly allow the federal government to consider use of benefits by citizen children and other family members in making public charge determinations. The draft proposed rule notes that the federal government may consider whether the individual is receiving any public benefit, has received any benefit within the last two years, and whether dependent family members, including a citizen child, has received benefits. In making a determination, use of public benefits would be considered as part of the totality of an individual’s circumstances and weighed against other factors, including age; health; family status; assets, resources, financial status; and education and skills. However, the draft proposed rule notes that current use of public benefits or having received benefits for more than six months within the previous two years would be a heavily weighted negative factor in determinations. Certain health circumstances also would be a heavily weighted negative factor. These would include, for example, an individual having a costly medical condition and being unable to show proof of unsubsidized health insurance or means to pay for treatment without government funds.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for all  your help missads. If I had not found your thread, I may never have known this was possible.

Anyway, my 75 yr old father in law arrived here in Dallas,TX on May 6, 2018 from the Philippines on a IR5 visa. Last week I successfully signed him up for a silver plan thru the healthcare.gov website. He qualified for a $975 ptc, so his monthly premium is  $11.91. Only 2 silver plans were available, Molina and Ambetter, and when I googled reviews for them they were bad for both, but I figured some coverage is better than no coverage. Ambetter would have been $143 a month after the ptc, so I figured since the reviews were bad for both, I chose the cheaper one, which was Molina. 

My question is that he is required to submit documentation of his income by Sept 1. His income is 0. Since he will not be filing a tax return until January, and he does not work, what can  I use to show that his income is 0. Somewhere in your thread I think you mentioned doing an affidavit. Is that my only option as far as you know? Does anyone have experience with proving income in this situation?

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Feb. 2018 - Interview - Approved

Feb. 2018 - VISA Received!

May 6, 2018 - Arrived in the  U.S.! 

Timeline

Bruin85, I'm especially glad to read your post, for two reasons. That you found this thread useful and were able to sign up your FIL for health insurance gives me great personal satisfaction. But what is even more interesting is that you were able to find coverage in Texas, a state that has not expanded Medicaid. I was under the impression such states didn't offer marketplace coverage with PTC to zero income senior immigrants. Perhaps I was mistaken, so this is very helpful new information!

Regarding proof of income, yes the affidavit route is your best bet. Your FIL won't be filing taxes until early next year, so waiting until then is clearly not an option. You can state in the affidavit that he's a recent immigrant and won't have any other documentation until he files taxes in 2019. You will likely have to state this under penalty of perjury, so be very careful that all statements in the affidavit are factually accurate. Get the affidavit notarized and send it to them before the Sep 1 deadline (you can wait a week or two before the deadline, no need to rush.) Send by certified mail and keep a copy of the affidavit, so you have proof of mailing, just in case they claim they didn't receive it (big government bureaucracies tend to lose stuff...)

Btw, Molina is a popular choice for Medicaid in several states. Although it might not be top notch, it will at least cover your FIL's basic healthcare needs plus any emergencies. Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience on this thread!

Edited by missads

Timeline
20 hours ago, Bruin85 said:

Thank you for all  your help missads. If I had not found your thread, I may never have known this was possible.

Anyway, my 75 yr old father in law arrived here in Dallas,TX on May 6, 2018 from the Philippines on a IR5 visa. Last week I successfully signed him up for a silver plan thru the healthcare.gov website. He qualified for a $975 ptc, so his monthly premium is  $11.91. Only 2 silver plans were available, Molina and Ambetter, and when I googled reviews for them they were bad for both, but I figured some coverage is better than no coverage. Ambetter would have been $143 a month after the ptc, so I figured since the reviews were bad for both, I chose the cheaper one, which was Molina. 

My question is that he is required to submit documentation of his income by Sept 1. His income is 0. Since he will not be filing a tax return until January, and he does not work, what can  I use to show that his income is 0. Somewhere in your thread I think you mentioned doing an affidavit. Is that my only option as far as you know? Does anyone have experience with proving income in this situation?

Forgot to quote you above

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

Just be aware that, at tax time, if your father has reportable income, that can result in him being required to repay some or all of the premium tax credits which made his health care affordable.......this can come as a very nasty shock and a bill tax bill. 

He's trying to up his father's income so his dad becomes eligible for PTCs.

PetersTractor, just be careful that anything you do is legal and kosher as far as taxes are concerned. A couple of other members have already posted useful links on the topic. Do your research, and follow all the rules. Don't end up doing something that might get you in trouble with the IRS...

• 1 month later...

Thank you  so much for the extra ordinary information. My parents just arrived here to US and even they got social security and still waiting for green card arrival. Green card was approved in India. Looks like they will receive it from 90-120 days.

so we have been searching for health insurance plans and every one saying it is so complicated to live here. My question is, do we need to wait for green card arrival or can I call healthcare.gov to secure health insurance for my parents as it’s been approved in their home country?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My dad is us citizen, he is 63. last year he got ohio medicaid via health exchange market. He had no income so he didnt file tax 2016. So for 2017, does he need to file tax in order to get medicaid again?

He still had no income.

Filed: Timeline
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, ivantran85 said:

My dad is us citizen, he is 63. last year he got ohio medicaid via health exchange market. He had no income so he didnt file tax 2016. So for 2017, does he need to file tax in order to get medicaid again?

He still had no income.

US citizen's are entitled to Medicaid if they qualify. If he meets the requirement for not filing his income tax, then he is fine but may need to provide proof of why he didn't file (which would be lack of income).

Timeline
On 7/22/2018 at 10:58 AM, ivantran85 said:

He still had no income.

If he has no income, he is not required to file. Filing a tax return is optional, just useful to show proof of (no) income.

Since the deadline for 2017 taxes has already passed in April, I don't see what you would gain by  filing it at this point. He's already enrolled in Medicaid right? If they ask for proof of income for 2017, you can explain that he didn't file taxes and can provide a sworn affidavit about zero income instead.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.