AJ17

Starting K1 Visa for Moroccan Fiance

61 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If he converts he will not be a Muslim.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If he converts he will not be a Muslim.

If he becomes Buddhist, he has ZERO chance of having his marriage recognized in Morocco.

My Convoluted Story (see my profile for more details)
Jun 2009 - Met on Facebook
Mar 2010 - Visited Morocco for the first time, got engaged
Dec 30, 2011 - Wedding in Morocco (5th visit)
I-130/CR-1 (first time around)
31 Aug 2012 - Priority Date (Vermont, transferred to NBC)
31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
27Jul 2013 - Broke up/Separation (while waiting for case complete at NVC)
9 Jan 2014 - Filed for divorce in US (never completed)
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
May 2015 - Reconciliation
Nov 2015 - Vacation together in Spain (7th in-person visit with each other)
I-130/IR-1 (second time around)
4 Feb 2016 - Priority Date
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

17 May 2016 - NVC Case Number Assigned

31 May 2016 - Sent AOS/IV package to NVC

5 Jul 2016 - NVC Case Complete

10 Aug 2016 - Medical Exam

25 Aug 2016 - Interview - APPROVED

1 Sep 2016 - Husband picked up his visa

Husband POE'd @ IAD - 5 November

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Married Buddhists suddenly become single when entering Morocco?

My guess is that most Visitors entering are of no particular religion and not something mentioned on your Passport.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Married Buddhists suddenly become single when entering Morocco?

My guess is that most Visitors entering are of no particular religion and not something mentioned on your Passport.

If she and her husband (after they get married) travel back to Morocco (and he is not yet a US citizen/US passport-holder), then yes, Morocco will consider him single when he is in Morocco (because he's a Moroccan citizen at the end of the day). This means that if he and his wife travel within Morocco and want to stay at a hotel, they will have to sleep in separate rooms because Morocco will not allow unmarried people to stay in a hotel together, buy an apartment or house together, etc. This is just one reason why they'd need their marriage to be recognized in Morocco.

Edited by B&Z

31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Inluv,

For the interview - yes, of course, we know how to answer and not be insulted. For people here, no, I don't have to justify my reasons. -- Two different audiences. We want to get our stuff together for an comprehensive application and that's why I was very happy to find this site and I found the majority of people helpful and awesome. My fiance realizes this later too. He just got upset because he is overprotective of me.

Thanks! We are aiming to do it soon...but will triple-check everything before we send it out...

Our Story:

Met online through dating app because I had no idea how to limit the location.

Became friends through chatting.

Fell in love along the way.

Met in person in December and got engaged.

Filed petition in late February.

Got NOA February 26.

Got NOA2 April 28. Approved!

Got Notice from NVC dated May 13th that they are sending Application to Consulate.

Waiting for Consulate Interview Date.

Consulate says Ready for Interview - updated same status on 2 dates - June 17, July 14 and August 2nd.

Interview Date with Packet sent August 23, 2016.

Interview Date: September 9, 2016. Wish us good luck, please!

AP Waiting Hell: September 9 to present!

Timeline

Morocco does not deny many k1 as long as you have everything that looks right and no red flags you should be fine . File the k1 they have been getting approved by Uscis by a month now as there sent to California now . Good luck if you have any questions feel free to message as I just went through it a few months ago . The whole process goes by pretty fast . It's just a waiting period

• 6 months later...
Timeline

Inluv,

For the interview - yes, of course, we know how to answer and not be insulted. For people here, no, I don't have to justify my reasons. -- Two different audiences. We want to get our stuff together for an comprehensive application and that's why I was very happy to find this site and I found the majority of people helpful and awesome. My fiance realizes this later too. He just got upset because he is overprotective of me.

Thanks! We are aiming to do it soon...but will triple-check everything before we send it out...

How did your interview go sofar?

Are you .....820011?

• 1 year later...
Timeline
On 1/29/2016 at 7:07 PM, Inluv said:

What a horrible reason to take Shahadah.

Alhumdulillah!  Islam is a beautiful religion and you must know Allah has a plan for you, he is guided you islam.  I pray Ali will show you and teach as a muslim husband should the beauty of islam and reads the Quran to you so you can hear the beauty of Allah's words in Arabic. I'm so happy for you.

Verse (17:97) "And whoever Allah guides Allah guides then he (is ) the guided one; "

Timeline
On 1/12/2016 at 3:28 PM, AJ17 said:

Thanks for your help!! I was truly at a loss.

Yes, I am very aware because my family, friends all questioned his motives. It took quite alot to overcome doubts but now I'm 100% sure he is sincere.

What about the proof of meeting and proof of continued relationship?

My family questioned my fiances motives.  lol My mother just knew he was going to run once his feet hit dirt.  Tried contacted ICE... the whole thing was a big cluster fudge.  I was christian, of course he was muslim.  We also had a huge age gap.  18 year difference.  :o  Now, this upcoming March will be our 7 year wedding anniversary and we will have been together for a total of 9 years.  My family loves him to death and my dad eye's tear up just talking about him.  Our whole visa process was uneventful.  Only met ONE time in person for 3 weeks.  Once I got back immediately filed papers in May, he got interview in November, was approved in December and arrived in January!  Filed all the papers myself.  Lawyer will rip you all and feed you a bunch of BS.  LMAO!!!!!!! One lawyer that's frequently mentioned here on VJ told me I didn't have a hope's chance in a basket and said I would have to have our interview on the island of Cyprus since he would have a better chance of being approved there.  I think he must have been loaded that day! :jest: Omggg sighhhhh..... :rolleyes:   Well, anyhow.  Don't worry.  The odds aren't against you.  Don't worry about the different of religion! :D

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Timeline
On 2/11/2016 at 9:52 AM, AJ17 said:

Inluv,

Before you send everything out, make a copy of everything for yourself.  

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Timeline
On 2/11/2016 at 7:45 AM, B&Z said:

If she and her husband (after they get married) travel back to Morocco (and he is not yet a US citizen/US passport-holder), then yes, Morocco will consider him single when he is in Morocco (because he's a Moroccan citizen at the end of the day). This means that if he and his wife travel within Morocco and want to stay at a hotel, they will have to sleep in separate rooms because Morocco will not allow unmarried people to stay in a hotel together, buy an apartment or house together, etc. This is just one reason why they'd need their marriage to be recognized in Morocco.

Sorry but that is incorrect.  Been to Morocco multiple times and traveled all over Morocco, and each time we travel together we take our american marriage certificate which has been accepted at all the hotels we have been to.  We also show our American passports which show our same last names.  We have never been denied.  It is accepted in Morocco. 

Timeline
On 2/1/2016 at 3:07 PM, Boiler said:

I find it very hard to believe that someone who is Muslim and marries a non Muslim not Jewish etc) outside of a Muslim country suddenly becomes single on entering a Muslim country.

It’s not that they “become single.” The problem is that most Muslim countries do not recognize marriages between Muslim men and women from a religion that is not “of the book” (Islam, Christian, or Jewish). Or between Muslim women and men of any other religion. Not recognizing the marriage doesn’t make the person single but it could make it difficult to travel in Muslims counties alone with your your spouse, stay in hotels, and cause other problems as well, for example if they ever move to Morocco, she may not be able to get a resident permit or what we call a “green card” to live with her husband in his country, because they will not qualify based on her religion.

im not advocated lying or converting just for this reason, bu I’m I can understand why someone might consider it.

Also, since it is against Islam to marry outside the “people of the book” her fiancé probably wants her to convert for other reasons... 

Edited by TamaraN

Timeline
On 2/1/2016 at 10:28 PM, Ismael&Blair said:

I am not judging AJ and her fiance. They may be getting two issues mixed up. I am married to a Muslim husband and I didn't convert to Muslim and my husband is still recognized as a married person because the marriage license (whether married in Morocco or US) are reciprocally recognized in both countries.

I think her question was pointed more for how to get around the rule in Morocco. The strict rule is that if you are not married, you will need to "lay low" locally and stay around the family and friends. It is not accepted to travel as an unmarried couple because it's against the law for a "single guy" and "unmarried girl" to be together as a couple in public.

From her questioning, I believe that AJ and her fiance wanted to be recognized as a "married" couple in Morocco (prior to being married) so they could be able to travel around the country without scrutiny. Morocco being a Muslim country has a custom is that once you find the right person, you get married because you can't date around (it's sinful).

Maybe her fiance wants her to convert prior to being married in the US. I've heard & read there's a Muslim ceremony called a "Nikka". It's a religious ceremony to show that they are committed as a Muslim couple. They would get some kind of paper to be recognized being religiously "married" without being legally married in Morocco. Maybe that is a way to get around it?

Bottom line...In Morocco, it is unlawful to allow unmarried couple to be cohabitating together (ie. sharing a hotel room, living together). There are checkpoints with border town police officers who could & will stop you in cars to ask for identification and question the nature of one's relationship especially traveling when the sun is down. (I am speaking all this from experience when I was in Morocco especially me being Asian American) so I stood out when we traveled up and down Morocco for vacation. We drove to many of our destinations in his car. Certain areas in Morocco are really "old-school" and traditional and every hotel even the major hotels (ie. Sofitel Hotel) will ask for legal documentation to prove that we are married or we wouldn't have been able to rent a room.

I'm sadden that AJ and her fiance got a bad impression of Visa Journey. I only hope they will look past people's candid comments. I find this site a super valuable resource. I just told a newer Visa Journey member to read EVERYTHING HERE on VISA JOURNEY and then ask questions. I learned a lot from here and I took everything with a grain of salt and know that ultimately it's between you and your husband/fiance. We are all just trying to help & only they will learn from their journey. When they make it to the interview part, they may or may not realize that the comments and questions here are only half as tough as the real questions and comments they will encounter at the US Consulate.

I thank Visa Journey for where both my Moroccan husband and I are at. We are now just waiting for the super slow ROC process to end and for him to get his 10 year greencard. Any day now! Crossing my fingers! Well these are my 2 cents for the day! Thanks for reading! Good luck everyone!

I'm not sure where everyone is getting there facts from but this thread is killing me.  :blink:  It is NOT, I say again it is NOT AGAINST THE LAW for an unmarried guy or unmarried girl to be together in the same place as a couple in public. It is very much frowned upon to show PDA if you are unmarried, VERY much, however, there is nothing that says you can't be together in public.  This is NOT Saudi Arabia.  If you are out at night after dark with a male, you may be asked the nature of your business, but it is nothing to be alarmed about.  Your not going to be thrown in the pokey!  I stand out, trust me.  I traveled all over Morocco, top to bottom with my long blonde hair, and never was I stopped at a check point, etc.  Only stopped once at 1:00am while out catching a bus with my brother-in-law.  Morocco is not a country out to snatch you up for doing the slightest thing.  They do NOT have to have theeir marriage recognized so they can travel around in peace.  They frown on PDA and of your not getting a hotel room together if your not married.  Simple, and that's all.  Ya'll talk like they are in Saudi or something.  Just take your marriage certificate when you go together to you can get a hotel room together after your married.  I hope AJ does some more research bc some of these posts haven't been stating any facts at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 10/13/2017 at 9:31 PM, MouadsWife said:

Considering AJ posted nearly two years ago, I'm sure they and everyone else have researched and learned a lot in the meantime, myself included.

31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

Timeline
1 hour ago, B&Z said:

Considering AJ posted nearly two years ago, I'm sure they and everyone else have researched and learned a lot in the meantime, myself included.

Well, thread seems to be pretty hot for an age old two year old thread with lots of misinformation. lol  So evidently no on has learned.  And btw.. I'm not quoting AJ... you "might" want to go back a reread 'who' and 'what' I'm quoting and talking about before you jump the gun.  :jest:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.